SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Rifles for Side Matches

I'm kind of getting interested in shooting long range side matches involving single shot rifles. Other than the Sharps, rolling block, and High Wall types, can y'all tell me what other rifles are SASS legal for this? Thank you.

H&R Buffalo in 45-70, not that expensive as new. I cannot afford one of those new guns, but fortunate I have my Great-grandpa's 1884 Trapdoor, 45-70. The trapdoor is another good gun, especially for reloading, cannot get much faster on the reload than that one. I shoot gramps out back off the deck at a target setten what the sights indicate as 1,375 yards. And yes I can hit it, cannot see it all that well, but can hit it.

Since you specifically said single shot, let me make another recommendation for the Trapdoor Springfield. I've got two of the things, an 1884 Rifle and an 1873 Carbine. When shooting offhand, I find the rifle get's really heavy after only a couple of shots. That's why I got the Carbine. And as soon as I fired it the first time, I undestood why the army developed a reduced power load for use in them. Even loadings listed as "Trapdoor Safe" can kick like a mule in a carbine. As such, I switched to a load with Trailboss, and it was no longer painful to shoot. And the load I use can still reach out and touch a target *really* far away if I need it too.

The most common distance I've seen is around 300 yards, but I've seen it out to 500 at one club, and as close as 50 yards at another, so it's all over the place.

Good luck with it.

SASS's 'Long-Range', and real long range, are not the same.

In SASS, you won't shoot much past 200 yds or so.

The H&R single shot is a very good choice here.

LG

That's really going to depend where the match is held. Some clubs/ranges DO have the facilities to present a truly LONG range match.

(i.e. 500 -1000+ yards)

BTDT (Remington Rolling Block .45-70)

^_^

At our range we shoot everything off hand at 380 yards, except we do shoot a single shot with sticks at 420 yards.

One pard shoots a H&R Buffalo in 45-70 and does very well.

LR

Our range has a long range with targets from 100yds out to 508yds. That's where we found a flat spot to put it. I've used my Trapdoor rifle and carbine , and a Pedersoli Sharps before I sold it. Also hit that 508 target 4 out of 7 with my 73 in 44-40. Couldn't hear it but could see it hit with a spotting scope.

That's really going to depend where the match is held. Some clubs/ranges DO have the facilities to present a truly LONG range match.

(i.e. 500 -1000+ yards)

BTDT (Remington Rolling Block .45-70)

^_^

Wish that was the norm.

Even where I shoot in the Mojave-600 yards is pretty much the max at one club and 100yds at another.

It is-What it is.....

LG

There are a few Stevens 44 1/2 floating around in 38-55, 32-40, etc. and I doubt anyone would kick you out for sporting a trapdoor.

Not cheap, but they can be purty neat. Knew a fella - a co-worker's dad - who bought one from these folks and really got into Schuetzen matches...

http://www.singleshotrifles.com/rifles.htm

The Spencer carbine or rifle would be legal for long range. Not 'zactly the best choice, but legal. :P

I really like to see you use that this year at the state shoot. If nothing else you'd get style points.

Here's a video I shot of a cowboy shooting a Spencer at the 2014 Siege of St. Augustine FL State Match...I don't know his alias...just thought it was pretty cool.

If you want a target rifle, then get a target rifle! Don’t expect a hunting style rifle to do a great job at target shooting. A heavy rifle will do better than a light rifle, especially in the larger calibers.

I shoot several different single shots, Rolling Block 45-90 and 45-70, High Wall (both Winchester 38-72 and Browning 40-65) Remington # 3 (aka Hepburn) 40-70 and the H&R 38-55 target model. I’ve shot from 100 yards out to 1200 yards. The smaller 38 caliber rounds will do OK out to about 500 yards, if the wind isn’t blowing much. The 40 caliber rounds go a bit further. But, the best truly long range rounds are 45 calibers. But, just because the 45s are good at longer ranges, doesn’t mean they won’t do a good job at shorter ranges. I’ve shot some very very small 100 yard groups with my 45-90 using black powder.

Years ago, I bought an H&R 38-55 for short range target work, but knowing what I know now, I would not buy it again.

Once you get your rifle, if it doesn’t come with a tang soule type sight, buy one. I use both MVA and a Baldwin sights, both are great. Also, get a front sight with a level bubble.

The most bang for the buck rifle that performs very well is the Browning BPCR/Creedmoor (and it came with factory soule sights). If you never plan to shoot over 500 or so, the 40-65 will do well. If you want to keep you options open for longer ranges then either the 45-70 or 45-90 would be the way to go.

The single shot rifles are not much different that any other rifle for loads. All my rifles like a certain type of load to do their best. Once you get a rifle, shot it a lot to find out what it likes, and then write down the sight settings.

Hey Mean Matt,

I have reason to be in and around North Georgia on occasion and would love to shoot a SASS match that includes a long range side match, one that is actually long. Does River Bend do that? Any other clubs do that in North Georgia? Heck, are there any other clubs than RB in north Georgia?

I had Turnbull make me an 1886 Winchester in 50-110 with a 32 inch octagon barrel and shotgun butt for long range repeating side matches. It holds 10+ 1 too, for those "shootem if you got'em" special shoots a Desperadoville.

You may discover that in some areas of the country, long range means all the way to the back of the pistol berm. If you're lucky to find real long range ranges, you just might discover shooting those long range rifles at long range is habit forming.

When that happens, look around for BP silhouette or "Buffalo Shoot" matches. You will find something that is right up there with SASS for fun and has even more of the best people you'd ever hope to meet.

Our range the San Juan Wildlife Federation Shooting Range, in Farmington New Mexico hosts monthly didicated longrange matches by the Tres Rios Bandidos. 4th Saturday each month. We start at 300 with life size steel anminal targets and go out to 880 yards with a buffalo. All have flashers. We are working on setting up a 1000 yd burm. Most are shooting Sharps rifles, some HiWalls, occassionaly a rolling block. I would post pics, but can't figure that out.

• 1 month later...

I would like to see receiver sights allowed in long range. A lot of our members (me included) don't see as well as we used to. A lot of us also do not want to spend $500 on Soule or MVA sights. This is a side match. I see no reason not to allow receiver sights. If it bothers too many people, then let them shoot against other receiver sights or in the "Other" category.

I would like to see receiver sights allowed in long range. A lot of our members (me included) don't see as well as we used to. A lot of us also do not want to spend $500 on Soule or MVA sights. This is a side match. I see no reason not to allow receiver sights. If it bothers too many people, then let them shoot against other receiver sights or in the "Other" category.

Wouldn't a marbles tang sight work for you?

Hey Mean Matt,

I have reason to be in and around North Georgia on occasion and would love to shoot a SASS match that includes a long range side match, one that is actually long. Does River Bend do that? Any other clubs do that in North Georgia? Heck, are there any other clubs than RB in north Georgia?

Litl Red...here is a website that will show you the clubs in GA. None of the clubs in North GA have long range side matches with their monthly matches. Our upcoming state match will have it.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

KK. You are wrong about no clubs in Northern GA having SASS LR. The Tennessee Mountain Marauders (we shoot in GA near

Ringgold) has a 100 Yard White Buffalo for pistol caliber long guns and a 200 yard White Buffalo for rifle caliber long guns. We shoot the third Saturday of the month and the LR shoot is at 0800. Come on up and give it a whirl.

I use a Winchester Model 94 in 38-55 for the 200 and a Winchester Model 92 in 44-40 for the 100.

Hoss C.

I now use a Davide Pedersoli Creedmore Rolling Block.

( Like This )

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_187/rifles-rolling-block-rolling-block-long-range-creedmoor.html

I had a H&R Buffalo classic before this one .

Night and day difference in rifles.

The H&R Will work for you for cheep fun.

Quote:=calibri]I shoot several different single shots, Rolling Block 45-90 and 45-70, High Wall (both Winchester 38-72 and Browning 40-65) Remington # 3 (aka Hepburn) 40-70 and the H&R 38-55 target model. Ive shot from 100 yards out to 1200 yards. The smaller 38 caliber rounds will do OK out to about 500 yards, if the wind isnt blowing much. The 40 caliber rounds go a bit further. But, the best truly long range rounds are 45 calibers. But, just because the 45s are good at longer ranges, doesnt mean they wont do a good job at shorter ranges. Ive shot some very very small 100 yard groups with my 45-90 using black powder.

Years ago, I bought an H&R 38-55 for short range target work, but knowing what I know now, I would not buy it again.

Once yoet your rifle, if it doesnt come with a tang soule type sight, buy one. I use both MVA and a Baldwin sights, both are great. Also, get a front sight with a level bubble.

The most bang for the buck rifle that performs very well is the Browning BPCR/Creedmoor (and it came with factory soule sights). If you never plan to shoot over 500 or so, the 40-65 will do well. If you want to keep you options open for longer ranges then either the 45-70 or 45-90 would be the way to go. End Quote

Where on GODS green Earth do you get the idea that the .40 cal guns are limited to 500 yards???

That is certainly NOT ballistic FACT !!!

I have and use two .38-55s,One .40-65 and two .45-70s , and while all are fine calibers I prefer the .40-65 for two main reasons for use at long-range (500+). A 400 grain .40 cal. bullet has a better BC. and greater SD than all but a very Few really heavy .45 caliber bullets . And due to this and the FACT that you can push these bullets to GREATER velocities while keeping recoil to reasonable limits you have bullets that drop and drift less .

Jabez Cowboy

Where on GODS green Earth do you get the idea that the .40 cal guns are limited to 500 yards???

Jabez Cowboy

It not an idea, it observed fact. It’s an observation made over many years of shooting. I have yet to see a 38 or 40 keep with the big heavy 45s in a stiff cross wind. Its the hits on the target that win, not high velocities.

Big heavy bullets make the hits by having considerable better inertia than the lighter 38 and 40 in both down range velocity and wind resistance. The big and heavy bullets are sort of like the ever-ready bunny, they just “keep going” strong all the way out to the 1000 yard target. BPCR 1000 yard shooters start with 45-70 (min), while most prefer 45-90 and bigger cartridges. You have to look real hard to find a 38 or 40 shooter in the 1000 yard winner’s circle.

I gotta agree with Jabez Cowboy. My .40-90 SBN is great out to 1,000 yards... beyond that I run out of rear sight. Yeah, wind might affect me, but, given the same weight bullets... my smaller diameter, better BC is affected less. The .45s are arguably better when they get over 500 grains... mainly because you're sub-sonic from muzzle to target... not any other mumbo-jumbo...

Archived