SASS Wire Forum

Another cat question......

Eamon Chute

It seems like the mystery of cats bringing home their "food" has been covered, and what I want to know now is.......why do they "pound?"

You know what I mean, they use their front paws to incessantly "pound" things. It seems to happen while they are purring, and their eyes look like they all go blurry. So, what's the purpose of this action?

EC

We've always referred to it as "kneading." I was told that it means the cat is relaxed and happy, as they do it when they are kittens and are nursing. This stimulates the momma's milk flow.

Laz

Making kitty biscuits. It's the action of kneading moms bags to let down more milk. It's done when the cat feels comfortable and relaxed enough to want to sleep and feel good. It releases endorphins in the cats brain to feel good. Like a cribbing horse but much less damaging.

Great when it happens on your back, like a massage and scratching all at the same time :D

Grizz,

That's it. But I've always called it pounding.

EC

Last time I "pounded" a cat................. I got yelled at :unsure:

Making kitty biscuits. It's the action of kneading moms bags to let down more milk. It's done when the cat feels comfortable and relaxed enough to want to sleep and feel good. It releases endorphins in the cats brain to feel good. Like a cribbing horse but much less damaging.

Great when it happens on your back, like a massage and scratching all at the same time :D

Well Brother Ramrod, you oughta' know. How many cats you got on your spread now? Just over 600 or so? :blink:

EC

EC

Just over 60, but feral kitten season us almost upon us. We've seen two un-fixed males and we know of three females that missed getting trapped. We'll probably catch, tag and release a dozen kittens or so and three or more adults.

Hardpan, that's about right but we've got a kitten herding dog, or kitten loving or something like that. She loves to play with kittens and cats, they're just not sure of her and once they start to run, it's kitty bar the door.

Archived