SASS Wire Forum

Question for gunsmiths

Black Angus McPherson

A former co-worker had the barrel split on his Beretta Model 92fs during qualification. Unknown why, no squib prior to the crack, it just jammed during a string of fire and inspection revealed the crack. It's a barely noticeable crack at about the end of the chamber. It goes around the chamber, not along the length of the barrel. FWIW he's been carrying the pistol for about 22 years.

The problem is the slide will no longer go fully forward and he can't figure out how to disassemble the gun to remove the barrel. The slide stops about 1/4" from in battery. The slide will retract easily to slide lock. I haven't been able to see if the locking block or anything else under the barrel is damaged.

He gave it to me to figure out if I could get it apart. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Angus

Grits,

The picture of the cracked barrel is probably what I'm dealing with. Although, I can't see the bottom of the barrel.

Unfortunately it doesn't tell me how to disassemble it. Unless it's actually a broken locking block causing the problem. I'll have to take a closer look at that later.

He doesn't want to send it to Beretta because he doesn't want to pay a bunch of money just to find out it's a basket case. He's already replaced it with a new one. If I can figure out how to get it apart so we can check the insides, and they look ok, he'll send it in to Beretta for a full inspection and new barrel.

That happened to me when I cracked the slide on my 92. I sent it in for a new slide and they said the frame was cracked, too. I never have found that crack, tho. I almost had to sue them to get them to return it to me because it was unsafe. Now, I have no intention of ever shooting it, but it's MY broken gun, not their's. I told them they were welcome to keep it if they sent me a new one. Otherwise they needed to return MY property to ME. (Sorry, it's an old wound but it still really aggravates me when I think about it.)

Thanks for the info.,

Angus

looking at the photos in the link above and reading that the gun with the cracked barrel was shooting high. I would suspect that if yours is cracked on top it would shoot low if it was working. You might try putting something in the front of the barrel and gently pulling in an upward direction while letting the slide go forward. The barrel may be bent downward slightly causing the slide to stick before closing.

Just a thought without having the firearm in hand.

Grits,

He doesn't want to send it to Beretta because he doesn't want to pay a bunch of money just to find out it's a basket case. He's already replaced it with a new one. If I can figure out how to get it apart so we can check the insides, and they look ok, he'll send it in to Beretta for a full inspection and new barrel.

Thanks for the info.,

Angus

How do you know it will cost anything until you call Beretta C/S. :blink:

Why haven't you at least called Beretta to see IF it can be disassembled with the damage it has?

Phone call won't cost much, me thinks. ;)

Ask for a shipping label. Let'em look it over.

LG

He hasn't called Beretta probably because he never thought about it. I gather this happened 1-2 years ago and he's just never really worried about doing anything with it until recently. I haven't called Beretta because it's not my gun and I just heard about it yesterday and saw it for the first time today.

I don't know for certain what ammo he was using, but if they are using the same stuff as when I retired it was either Federal aka: American Eagle 115gr FMJ (regular practice ammo) or Federal 115 JHP (Issue duty ammo). At one time, several years ago, they also got a shipment of 147gr Federal FMJ for practice. I don't know why they got the heavier bullets other than the person in charge of ordering ammo knows nothing about guns or ammo and probably just figured ammo was ammo.

Angus

I shot a Beretta 92F for five years in Production Class for local IPSC matches. Our matches were usually visited by THE Beretta pro shooter at the time. There were several other Beretta shooters so the gun and company was in constant discussion.

The locking block is the weak link in this design. It can wear or overtravel to the point that the barrel will crack between the chamber and the locking block. Beretta changed the design about 2002 to add more material to the locking block and the slide.

Cracked locking blocks, usually the lugs are nothing new in the Beretta. It happens. Guns are mechanical devices and they fail. Fact of life. No way to tell what exactly is keeping the slide from going fully forward. Try this if you haven't; lock the slide to the rear, turn the takedown latch down. I don't remember if it can be removed from the pistol like this and I don't have one handy to try but it's a simple matter to push the detent and give that a try, see if the whole latch assembly will come out and then see if the slide will go forward off the frame. Plan B; lock the slide open, turn the takedown latch down and then send the slide forward. You might try using a RUBBER hammer to tap the back of the slide. Don't use much force. The takedown latch should function with the slide forward as its designed to do. If you turn the pistol upside down, the locking lugs will be visible. See if one is missing or cracked or out of place. Never seen a barrel crack quite like that. Even squibs they crack the long way. Usually.

The take down latch will work if the slide is back. I haven't tried removing the latch.

I can see the lugs thru the top of the slide and they don't LOOK broken from what I can see.

There is zero play in the barrel. It seems to me mine would rattle when the slide was locked back. I still need to pull mine out of the safe for a comparison.

I'm reluctant to try any force to move the slide forward at this point. There's too much I can't see in the works that may be the problem. There's no big hurry so the investigation continues a while longer. Something under the barrel is the problem. This small crack and attendent expansion of barrel dimensions can't be causing this problem by themselves.

Angus

Archived