SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Coach Gun advice

misplacdtxn

New to SASS/CAS just starting and have a chance to acquire a Rossi Overland 12ga for 300$ it's in good condition but frankly I don't have any knowledge regarding Rossi shotguns.

Something I should steer clear of or good starter that I will eventually move on from?

I understand in the end I have to make the decision but if any one has any experience with them good/bad, it would be great to hear.

and thanks

Good, solid shotgun for our game. It was the preferred hammer gun until the TNN came along. They may come back into vogue if the TNN/Cimarron remains in short supply and continues to rise in price. $300 is a good price, if the gun is in decent shape. The only thing I know that might break is the firing pins, the tend to mushroom if dry fired much. This outfit makes replacement firing pins. In short, they are well worth the $300 if it is a servicable gun.

http://www.mmgunsmithing.com/

I started with a Rosst. In 1992, great gun . Still have it and still use it some. I switched to a TNN a Couple years back, its hammer are taller and closer together, making cocking easier but the the Rossi is slimmer and much lighter thus handles better (for Me anyway)

I would advise going for it, that is a very good price.

I started shooting cowboy action matches in 1992.

I started with a 12ga Rossi with hammers.

I still shoot Rossi hammer doubles exclusively.

I have a new TTN that I have shot in 3 matches.

I always go back to the Rossi(s).

There are at least 3 models.

1. Had the Green lock where the locking bar extends out on the left side of the receiver when open.

2. There is a small metal tab between the barrels.

3. There is a shorter but taller metal tab between the barrels. (I prefer these)

Issues to look for.

Open the gun and see if you can cock the right hammer. Some will not due to the hammer hitting the cocked hammer. This is not a major issue but will cause you to have to start with the right hammer not cocks when staged.

I don't know about damage due to dry firing. I don't do that.

The firing pin retaining nut, looks like a percussion nipple, are very brittle. They crack if too much pressure is use when tightening.

There are several things you can do to the locks to make them easier to cock. The locks can be worked on at the unloading table. Only three screws to remove both. I have one shotgun I keep meaning to put new shim washers in but never do. I need to retighten the two screws inside every few matches. I know when by the way the hammers pull back. A bit sloppy.

One weak part is the barrel opening stop. I usually have them removed and re weld in with better steel. I have broken several stock ones but never a new replacement.

$300 is a good price.

The gun I have been using for the past several years actually made from combining the parts from my first two guns. 1 was a broken receiver at the barrel hinge. The other was a cracked butt stock.

Something to know. Rossi uses a poor grade of wood on some of their guns. They are easy to spot. The stocks are usually stained a very dark brown almost black to hide the wood filler. I found this by stripping a black stock to stain it a lighter brown. I ended up sanding it smooth and refinishing in black again.

Howdy,

I sold mine for a good bit more than that and Im thinkin I should tell the

buyer that if he gits tired of it, I will buy it back....

Best

CR

Something no one has mentioned ; while the Rossi is generally a good sound shotgun , you only HAVE to shoot a hammer gun in Classic Cowboy category. Any other category can use hammerless doubles. Several categories can also use the 97 pump or 87 lever guns. If you choose to shoot a hammer gun , fine , but it is not required. You may already be aware of all this , but said you were a newbie , so maybe not.

Great for style points , though.

Welcome to the game , Rex :D

I appreciate everyone's input and am "pulling the trigger" on this opportunity.

Thank you.

Aw go ahead and get it. Good addition to any SASS collection. You will have it if you need it. :):):)

For our purposes.

There are two models of Rossi Shotguns.

1. The Overland - a double barrel with exposed hammers.

2. The Squire - a double barrel with internal hammers.

Both came in 20" and 28" barrels and have two triggers. (no single trigger models)

410ga, 20ga and 12ga.

I have not found or heard of a 410ga being imported with 20" barrels.

Archived