SASS Wire Forum

WATERPROOF/INSULATED BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Chief Rick

Looking for a pair of good, waterproof/insulated boots to ride in. They don't have to be motorcycle specific boots but I ride 500 miles or so just about every weekend and really need something that will keep my feet warm and dry while sitting for 3-4 hours at a time. Prefer a lace-up - in the event I do go down - but they don't have to be. The 200-gram thinsulate insulated Matterhorn boots I currently wear don't quite do the trick once the temps drop below about 50. Can't be overly bulky so as to still fit on the floorboards or under the shift lever.

Ideas?

Chief--- I ride abt. 10,000 mile a year and have yet to find anything to keep the toes really comfy when it gets cold. Took a trip down to W. Va. once in 22 degree weather and felt like a popsicle, however electric socks with a toe warmer on top of your toes helps a whole bunch. Boot that have enough insulation are also bulky as you noted. "Good Luck" on your search, I'll be following to see what the Pards have to contribute.

Chief--- I ride abt. 10,000 mile a year and have yet to find anything to keep the toes really comfy when it gets cold. Took a trip down to W. Va. once in 22 degree weather and felt like a popsicle, however electric socks with a toe warmer on top of your toes helps a whole bunch. Boot that have enough insulation are also bulky as you noted. "Good Luck" on your search, I'll be following to see what the Pards have to contribute.

Actually, I do have an electric jacket liner, pant liner, and gloves already. And the pant liners have provision to hook up electric socks, so that is an option.

My Matterhorns, while not extremely bulky like the pac boots I'm used to seeing, are not exactly slim either, They're quite heavy as well. They also fit too snug to wear good heavy wool socks with.

I'm averaging about 1,500 miles a month right now - that's just riding home of Friday evening and back to work on Sunday evening. I prefer to take a bike because it costs about double tot take the Jeep.

Another option--- If you're riding a Harley with the heal/ toe shifter---just raise the front one to clear your boot until warmth re-arrives. It won't take long to do or to get used to. Be sure to tighten the set screw good, or the splines will strip--another Harley design issue!!

Archived