SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897 Feed Tube Problem

Ole Whiskers

I'm having a problem getting shells in to the feed tube on my "new" 1897. Most brass based hulls seem to feed but the aluminium based hulls (Winchester Super X) will not feed at all. So here is a bit of background...just in case I did this to myself.

I just bought the gun (it is a 1919 TD) and took it out to the range on Sunday, seemed to work fine with the brass based ammo I had. Decided when I got home that it would be a good idea to take apart and clean the slide assembly/feed tube etc. Once I got done and put everything back together I tried loading some shells (aluminium base cause all the brass ones were gone) and they would not go in the tube. So here are my questions.

1. Is this a common problem?

2. Could I have put the feed tube on 180' out and would this cause the issue I'm seeing?

3. Is it a good idea to use a brake cylinder hone and polish the breech end of the feed tube?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ole Whiskers

How far did you take the gun down?

The 2 shells are the same, dimensionally.

If it was work'n before and you tore the gun apart, and it's not work'n now-

YUP-You dood somedangthing wrong in reassembly.

BTW-They ain't alum based-They're tin, and a magnet will prove this.

LG

Verry likely the mag tube is upside down, the little lug near the front should be on top when installed in the gun.

Here is an update to my feed tube problem.
I went home and measured the OD of the shotshell rims which was .88 plus no more than .002 on all the shells. I disassembled the gun again and also measured the ID of the feed tube...as it turns out it wasn't round. The ID at the interupted threads was .91 and on the side with no threads it was .87. Once I coaxed the tube back into round the shells would feed and eject normally. Thanks for the help.

Ole Whiskers

Archived