SASS Wire Forum

Uberti's new competition rifle

Rancho Roy

Boy they really know how to talk to a cowboy shooter "An action job slicks up the trigger and shortens the lever’s stroke for accurate and rapid fire duties." That being said I like the configuration and will be rifle shopping at WR. I really like the shotgun style butt stock, I can gut the rest if need be.

Having handled them, for a top 10 shooter, they do need a bit of work. But they are a definite improvement over stock 1873s, and represent a clear step in the right direction.

Cheers,

FJT

Boy they really know how to talk to a cowboy shooter "An action job slicks up the trigger and shortens the levers stroke for accurate and rapid fire duties." That being said I like the configuration and will be rifle shopping at WR. I really like the shotgun style butt stock, I can gut the rest if need be.

Yea, no kidding! Sounds like a case colored Berreta renegade:)

Ringer

Why slam it before ya try it? At least they are trying to give us what we want.

Not slamming just been there before, Beretta Renegade,Marlin Cowboy Comp etc. What I want out of Uberti is a rifle made of quality materials (quit using soft steel on critical parts to save your tooling) and rifles without major headspace issues right out of the box. Both issues have been major problem for the last few years. We can take care of the rest.

Why slam it before ya try it? At least they are trying to give us what we want.

I disagree. They are trying to give us what they want. They can't even keep with demand for stock guns. I think what most of us would like would be for a plentiful supply of rifles and carbines and we'll find our own smith.

Uberti executives in the 90's: "Make a competition rifle? Naw, This SASS thing will fade away in a couple years."

If it had not been for Uberti and the other clone makers SASS would never have grown like it did.

Not slamming just been there before, Beretta Renegade,Marlin Cowboy Comp etc. What I want out of Uberti is a rifle made of quality materials (quit using soft steel on critical parts to save your tooling) and rifles without major headspace issues right out of the box. Both issues have been major problem for the last few years. We can take care of the rest.

LOL An he just touched tha tip of tha iceberg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RRR

Uberti executives in the 90's: "Make a competition rifle? Naw, This SASS thing will fade away in a couple years."

I'm glad to see anything marketable for the SASS shooter..............the thunderer, and 72 open tops are special sass style guns I would also like to have ......they were not around back when I started......It's all good....Now I need to find some big matches to go to near the Co/N.M border........Maybe one that doesn't start at 7:am so we can be done by 1: 30 PM...And be in bed by 5:PM in my Camper......Not that Old yet..........Tuco.

I'm glad to see anything marketable for the SASS shooter..............the thunderer, and 72 open tops are special sass style guns I would also like to have ......they were not around back when I started......It's all good....Now I need to find some big matches to go to near the Co/N.M border........Maybe one that doesn't start at 7:am so we can be done by 1: 30 PM...And be in bed by 5:PM in my Camper......Not that Old yet..........Tuco.

I beg to differ... Uberti was solidly behind SASS and encouraged it's growth from before SASS' inception. They were offering quite a range of products... all approrpriate to cowboy action shooting. What HAS changed, is the desires of the shooter for something that doesn't NEED work out of the box to be competitive with. Frankly, when I started The "Thunderer" designated a double action revolver, not legal for this game... and '72 open-tops were simply a historical footnote in the evolution of the revolver, not worth pursuing as a competitive gun... Numbers are what get new products introduced... unless it was for the market that originally spawned A. Uberti, the western movie and loss of other viable prducts to better portray the era... Nowadays, you don't have a small, family-owned business providing products to a rather small clientele, you have a small division of a huge multi-faceted arms company trying to react to ever-changing and increasingly fickle desires of a rather small clientele. Whereas, in years past, the importers, (I believe) held a larger sway over what new products might be coming down the pike... with the new ownership, that has probably been reduced substantially. Just look at products that have been introduced specifically to address the demand of cowboy shooters... more failures than hits.

I would love to see one of our top shooters take this gun, a couple of stock Rugers, and a double gun and shoot a demo stage for time to show what kind of speed can be obtained with practice without the souped up race guns.

I would love to see one of our top shooters take this gun, a couple of stock Rugers, and a double gun and shoot a demo stage for time to show what kind of speed can be obtained with practice without the souped up race guns.

Shalako Joe won EOT with a stock, 24 inch 73 and two stock pistols, and a Stoeger.

Shalako Joe won EOT with a stock, 24 inch 73 and two stock pistols, and a Stoeger.

Unless there is a video, to show new shooters, then it makes it difficult to show them.

No Joe's 73 was worked on just not short stroked. Pistols had work on them to. I know at one time he told me he went through a Stoager every 1 1/2 years because they were so poorly made. Let me correct that they are so poorly made. I shot many of side matches with Joe. He is a hell of a nice guy and a great shooter.

That doesn't prove much. Lets see that same top shooter use those guns for 10 to 20 thousand rounds of practice per year for 5 years or so with no work on them. Then you'll convince me that Uberti can make a competition rifle. Oh by the way they shouldn't need 4 back ups so they can keep shooting either.

No Joe's 73 was worked on just not short stroked. Pistols had work on them to. I know at one time he told me he went through a Stoager every 1 1/2 years because they were so poorly made. Let me correct that they are so poorly made. I shot many of side matches with Joe. He is a hell of a nice guy and a great shooter.

Of course you're right. I just meant that they weren't the short stroked, super guns of today. Just minor slicking that anyone could and does do, or have done. And you are certainly right about his character, and the whole family was the same. Miss them two big lugs. :wub:

Not sure about the double but duece has videos with box stock rugers and an iac 97 if I'm not mistaken

Can you lead us to dueces videos....I've always wanted to test this theory. A real fast proficient shooter, same stage.....25 times with stock firearms, 25 times with slicked/tuned firearms.........compare times.

They are on his utube sight. The 97 is his world record run. The pistols i can't remember off the top of my head but I'm sure if you ask him he can tell you which one

• 5 weeks later...

Did they quit CAS or what?

Of course you're right. I just meant that they weren't the short stroked, super guns of today. Just minor slicking that anyone could and does do, or have done. And you are certainly right about his character, and the whole family was the same. Miss them two big lugs. :wub:

That doesn't prove much. Lets see that same top shooter use those guns for 10 to 20 thousand rounds of practice per year for 5 years or so with no work on them. Then you'll convince me that Uberti can make a competition rifle. Oh by the way they shouldn't need 4 back ups so they can keep shooting either.

Any particular reason why you are such a negative nellie? Without Uberti the availability of a lot of the firearms we use would be nil, or next to it. Most of us would appreciate a bit of factory tuning, and would not miss the work of a skilled '73 smith for what they do. Most of us don't put 100,000 rounds through our guns in a couple of years either. Those that do are well aware of the need to know and utilize a good smith, and would do so even if the factory rifle was flawless as built. An extra 5% makes a difference to them, and wouldn't make a difference to most of the rest of us.

Just don't understand the negative, angry/irritated comments.

Any particular reason why you are such a negative nellie? Without Uberti the availability of a lot of the firearms we use would be nil, or next to it. Most of us would appreciate a bit of factory tuning, and would not miss the work of a skilled '73 smith for what they do. Most of us don't put 100,000 rounds through our guns in a couple of years either. Those that do are well aware of the need to know and utilize a good smith, and would do so even if the factory rifle was flawless as built. An extra 5% makes a difference to them, and wouldn't make a difference to most of the rest of us.

Just don't understand the negative, angry/irritated comments.

Welcome to the Internet, Bones...

+1

Rye, well said Duece ;)

Archived