SASS Wire Forum

.22 pistols for my boy

Hoss Shoer

My oldest son is 12 and wants to shoot with his Pa, I would love to buy a pair of Ruger or Uberti .22 pistols, but I can't afford them. So, what do you all think about Heritage or Plinkerton pistols? Any experience with these? Are there other options for cheaper pistols? Thanks

See if your local club has loaner equipment for youngsters. Also, a buckaroo with good equipment might be willing to share what they shoot. Some of these kids are quite generous. I picked up Plinkerton as a door prize but rarely shoot it. My wife's Ruger Single Six .22s are so much smoother.

I purchased a pair of plinkertons, I would recommend you not. Not real happy with them they have been back to Chiappa several times for repairs, they just dont hold up well. And thats with the grandson shooting them not me so they arent abused. But YMMV.

My grandson was 9 when he started shooting.I had ruger single six 22 but he shot my 38s better than the 22s.I found him a pair of Cimmarron Lightnings that he shoot real good.They were cheaper than a good pair of 22s.

You get what you pay for. The Ruger 22 single six is not noticeably cheaper than the a decent quality 38. Him being 12, I'd go ahead and see if somebody has a used set of 38's that have a small grip. I think you'd do more harm saddling him with a couple of junk 22's.

+1 on the 38s. I have a Buckarette at 13 that now owns my Rugers in .38. She handles them better than the Single Six's she was using.

My Dad bought me a Heritage Rough Rider when I was 14. It was my second single action but first cartridge gun (my first was a 1851 navy when I was 12). I literally shot that little .22 to pieces. Lasted me until I was 20 years old and I don't know how many thousands of rounds of .22. He would probably get by just fine with a pair until he is ready to step up to .38's. 22's are not going to be scarce forever. Find a dealer that works with Buds Gunshop, they have them at good shipped prices http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_577/Heritage/

My oldest son who will move on to young gun this year got a pair of heritage 22's for his 8th birthday. We have both shot these a lot in the last 4 to 5 years. We did replace the pawl springs on each gun one time, other than that no problems. They will now be handed down to his little brother for another 4 to 5 years. Seem to be pretty good for the price.

38s shooting a low velocity 105 bullet is no worse than a 22. No worries about replacing a few years later too.

22 is a pain to find right now.

38s shooting a low velocity 105 bullet is no worse than a 22. No worries about replacing a few years later too.

22 is a pain to find right now.

If he likes shooting you'll be buying a new set shortly , I'd look for some used 38s

When ammo became scarce back in 2009 our club adopted a .22 category. My wife and I own one single six and one Heritage Rough Ryder. Although you can clearly see that the single six is better quality the Heritage is more accurate and both my wife and I like the Rough Ryder better. Both guns have lasted us 5 years and several thousand rounds so far and both still work like a champ. For the price of one Single Six, however, you can buy two Rough Ryders. I would highly recommend the Herigate Rough Ryder.

I have a Plinkerton 22lr and 22 mag and with about 300=400 rounds through it so far no problems at all. It's actually pretty accurate for a SA. I like the fact that it's full sized. I got mine on sale BRAND NEW for $179.00.

Rye ;)

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

my grandson shot both the Ruger Single Six that I bought for the kids to shoot and his mother 38 special Blackhawk. he liked the 38 better than the SS. He also shot my Heritage 22 with birdshead grip and liked it best

I found a Ruger Single Six at a pawn shop for 125 bucks a few years ago. It didn't have both cylinders, and it's a pre-transfer bar gun.

But I've found a number of guns over the year in pawn shops, that the owners didn't know the value of.

Since I've found that one I've poked my head in a few times to see if they got another one. Might be a good route if pennies are tight.

If your dead set on .22 I say go Heritage. My daughter has shot sass weekly and often 2x a week since starting 2 years ago. NO ISSUES AT ALL! Id buy them again! Stay away from Bearcats as well. Over priced and the hammers are harder to pull than any other gun I have ever seen. Even the display bearcats at SHOT show last weekend were miserable. The Heritage Rough Riders cost me less for the pair than about most everything I could find. I polished the base pin so the cylinder was smoother and took some arch out of the flat hammer spring. As a matter of fact, her Henry lever gun has been rebuilt 3x in the last 2 years but still on the same revolvers in orig form.

Now for the downside, as everyone knows .22 is scarce, but her guns will eat any .22 ammo we can find with the exception of the Armscor bulk bags.

Check the Pawn Shops.

It took me a few trips to the shop, but I got

a Ruger Single Six for $135. Not much finish,but

it's one of my best shooting .22's

I searched and found two well used.22 Rugers. I have used them for my shooting students in many years of SASS matches. Generally, when they get a little older, the two .38 Pietta Lighnings are preferred with light loads.

My oldest son is 12 and wants to shoot with his Pa, I would love to buy a pair of Ruger or Uberti .22 pistols, but I can't afford them. So, what do you all think about Heritage or Plinkerton pistols? Any experience with these? Are there other options for cheaper pistols? Thanks

No other options for pistols on this price range that I know of. You already know there are better pistols than the Rough Rider or Plinkerton. Given the two, I'd go with the Rough Rider if it were me.

Thanks for all the good advice, one thing I've learned the hard way. You get what you pay for. Now who wants to be the one to explain to my wife?

Archived