SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 Competition Rifle

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/01/uberti-1873-lever-action-competition-rifle/#axzz2qfexOjvI

The above link is to an article about a Short Stroked, slicked up, out of the box race ready, 1873 from Uberti. The aticle is copied below.

I had not seen this before and thought some folks might be interested.

Dogmeat Dad

ACCOKEEK, MD --(Ammoland.com)- Uberti is pleased to introduce a new high-performance lever-action rifle.

The 1873 Competition Rifle was created to provide competition
shooters with a higher level of performance in a lever-action package.

This is a Winchester 1873 replica, incorporating several features
that make it competition-ready right out of the box. An action job
slicks up the trigger and shortens the lever’s stroke for accurate
and rapid fire duties.

The 20-inch octagonal barrel allows for greater maneuverability and
yet still provides the accuracy that is required in fast-action
competition. A shotgun-style buttstock provides for quick shouldering
and a gold front sight bead aids in quick target acquisition. Uberti’s
1873 Competition Rifle carries an industry leading 5-year warranty.

The fit, feel and finish of the 1873 Competition Rifle is similar to
the old west models, but with improvements that make the gun stronger
and easier to handle. These features provide modern advances and
variations that make the 1873 Competition Rifle one of the best
lever-action rifles on the market today.

“For the shooter looking for a race-ready gun out of the

box to provide the edge when they step to the line,” said Dan Rice,

Uberti Product Manager, “the new 1873 Competition Rifle punches that

dance card every time.”

COMMON SPECIFICATIONS: Calibers: .357 Mag.; .45 LC Barrel Length: 20″
Total Length: 39” Number of Grooves: 6 Twist: Right Weight: 8 lbs.
Finish: Color case-hardened receiver, blued barrel Stock: A-Grade walnut
with rubber recoil pad Capacity: 10+1 MSRP: $1499

I don't know how a factory can spend the time, fitting, workmanship, that is necessary to make a Uberti 73 competition, that would equal what our current cowboy gunsmiths are producing in a 73' to make them competition ready. We have seen attempts at this already. Just putting some parts in, We will see.....

Sounds like a neat configuration. I really like the Beretta Renegades once they are gutted. If it's the same method of short stroking the Beretta used the levers will had to be modified back to stock then you can go about putting good parts in.

I talked to Dan Rice at the show and looked at the new competition 73. It is not a rehashed Renegade. The Renegade had an odd set of links and came, as I recall, with a special aluminum carrier that was part of the short stroke setup. The new gun looks like it has a brass carrier and feels like what a lot of people call a "third gen" short stroke. Definitely much shorter than stock, but not as short as a fourth or fifth gen. I obviously couldn't take it apart at the show so I don't know what the guts look like. But the fit and finish of the gun and the feel of the action and short stroke make it look very promising.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just bought one of these. Waiting for it to show up. Did it feel like it's going to need springs, or just a good going through with the stock pieces?

Any update on this? Is the short stroke kit from uberti ? Did it still need an action job?

Honestly, I am not sure if I have one of the older ones or one of the new ones. It is marked Uberti, so I would assume one of the new ones. The short stroke feels good now that I have done all my work to it, but if it has a heavy action to it, don't work it more than a few times before you replace or re grind the springs. The springs were so heavy that by the time I got mine apart after playing with it for an afternoon, it had already started to take metal off the surfaces that contacted the arms on the springs. I would estimate that I have ground away 70 percent of the stock springs. It actually bruised my knuckles the first time I tried to lever it fast. I ordered slix springs, but I am happy with the ones that I ground, so they will sit on the shelf for now. The stroke length is very good and compares with my friends Pioneer third gen when held side by side.

Makes me think of the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Stock Uberti + a really good cowboy gunsmith= better than factory job. ^_^

I guess if you are brand new, and really don't know anything about the rifle, or a good gunsmith (like you couldn't ask around) then it may really be a good start. Other than that, I would save the extra money and send it off to someone who has a PhD. in the '73 rifle.

• 11 months later...

I guess if you are brand new, and really don't know anything about the rifle, or a good gunsmith (like you couldn't ask around) then it may really be a good start. Other than that, I would save the extra money and send it off to someone who has a PhD. in the '73 rifle.

He's so right. Got one before I read this and about 450 later it's a nice rifle. Waste of money. buy a plain jane and have a stroke kit and action worked on by a good cowboy gunsmith.

Kinda sounds like the Taylor's Comanchero.

Taylor's Comanchero has been short stroked and tuned by one of our better and better known cowboy gunsmiths. It isn't a factory rifle.

Archived