SASS Wire Forum

Should be a rule..guncarts must be wood

Rancho Roy

Back in the day we were so poor all me could afford is gun carts made out of sod and wheels out of round fruit cake. We would get 6 months out the cart but five years out of the wheels. Only the rich town folks could afford wood carts, but they also used fruit cake for wheels

I'm serous now

Oh, we used to dream of having fruit cake wheels.

youtu.be/13JK5kChbRw

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True story here....

When I started shooting SASS, I didn't know better. I drove a Toyota Corolla and needed a pretty small cart on a tight budget.

I found that wood ain't cheap

I started with an idea from Rolan Kraps, but used straight wheelbarrow handles instead of plow handles.

The rest of the guncart was made from 2 leaves from an oak dining table. My father in law used to sell the dickens out of surplus furniture. These were some extra bits he had left sitting around.

Worked great!

Added the box later. It is made of plywood.

I can't believe this is on 7 pages!!! I can hardly wait till spring!!!

I have 2 carts one fold up steel cart that I use when I buddy up with someone and my wood cart takes up too much room. I actually bought a car so I could use my wooden cart made by Cal-Graf. So :P I'm historically correct!

Rye :lol:

SAH, incoming!!!

whooda ever thunk this one would go on and on and on and on....

Been a good-n too.

Mine is home made wood for the local stuff with a Rugged Gear for when we go out to see the rest of the world.

SAH?

Stay at home?

Allie, I think he's referring to the previous post, written by Straight Arrow Hombre.

Luv ya, dear! :wub:

Laz

I'm surprised that Roy B got such backlash on this subject. The period correct aspect is pretty clear. That being said, some of the comments are funny.

typed by grounding the bare ends of copper wire together to recreate Mr Morse's code.

Remember SASS is a fantasy game not a period correct game, just look at B Western. In my fantasy, cowboys rode three wheel strollers made from aluminum, plastic and canvas. Heck even Roy Rogers TV shows and movies had a Jeep.

Remember SASS is a fantasy game not a period correct game, just look at B Western. In my fantasy, cowboys rode three wheel strollers made from aluminum, plastic and canvas. Heck even Roy Rogers TV shows and movies had a Jeep.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/siblings/Nellybelle.html

Cast Iron Mike down in Alpine, Ca. made a War Wagon guncart out of sheet metal and it weighs close to 400lbs. He brings it to the Dulzura Duststorm once a year and uses it and that's about all it gets used.

Wow! A little "birdie" :wub: told me I am getting a Rugged Gear Gun Cart as a birthday present! So excited that someone (several folks actually) would do that for me!

So, :P on the "must be wood" stuff.

Happy Dancin'!

Allie,

It will not be complete til you give a call to "Woodgrain 4 Wagons".

http://www.woodgrain4wagons.com/index.html

DDD

Our burgundy and charcoal period correct (I don't know what period as I shoot B- Western) rugged gear cart arrived today. Expect to use it both Saturday and Sunday. All Shamrock said was I wish it was green. Then she said not so bad it's Gamecock colors.

i for one have immensely enjoyed reading this thread , it has given me many chuckles and a few serious thoughts , it also provided a few really cool pictures of the great carts built by some , im always interested and amused by the great thoughts that go into some of the really terrific carts ive seen at shoots ive attended ,

im old enough to need a cart - not carrying all my gear on my back from stage to stage , i use a converted bagboy golf cart that serves for all my shooting needs not just the SASS so ill not change it as it folds well and compact to fit in my vehicle ,

interesting fact is that i took it to an annual shooting event/fund raiser for spinal injury last fall , we were shooting sporting cays , a number of people recognized my SASS ID on the cart and knew right away i was a SASS shooter , it provided for some interesting discussions at lunch ,

i personally like the early response ......"If you like your guncart, you can keep it....... "...............i fully intend to , but always enjoy the great efforts of the creative ones among us

I think Rugged gear should do a cart in a classic canvas white or tan.

How about a Rugged Gear in Camo? That way no one will see your cart and question you about your "period correctness".

Then again, I'm tempted to paint my wooden cart to look like a Rugged Gear cart just to stir the pot amongst the purists.

The glass is half full....

Got a RG for Christmas, life is good and I can load the cart w/o a problem

Yesterday the Dr tells me my T11 & T12 as well as L1 vertebra show degeneration and check my height--turns out I'm now shorter than I was in my 50s

And, oh yes, that's why your back hurts all the time....

but I can load my RG by myself :)

Archived