SASS Wire Forum

Should be a rule..guncarts must be wood

Rancho Roy

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....and ...and...and.. while we are at it how about those collapsible stools that folks carry on their carts to sit on between stages. Need to outlaw those and make folks carry around a log on their "period correct" funcart (emphasis on the "f") to rest their hind ends on.

Personally, I think they should be made of cast iron, and powered by a turn of the century reproduction Oldsmobile engine...

Young Johnny Steel has an Oldsmobile,

He loves a dear little girl!

She is the queen of his gas machine,

She sets his heart in a whirl!

la la la la la..... something I can't remember...

Come... A... Way with me Lucille!
In my Merry Oldsmobile!

Down the road of life we'll fly

Auto mo bubbling you and I!

To the Church we'll softly steal!

Then Our wedding bells will peal

You can go as far as you like with me

In my merry Oldsmobile!

Or something like that.

I'm sorry.....just my opinion as I wait in line to check my luggage at 4:30am.....

Not a fan of the baby carriage and golf cart aluminum frame jobbers....

oh well....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

While I have no problems with what anyone uses to cart their guns and gear around a shoot, building a cart, for me, was a rite of passage into the SASS world. When I started, my pard, Sawdust Joe and I began by building two identical carts together. The night before our first shoot, neither of the carts had been fitted with wheels. We loaded one cart in his truck and were taking it out to my ranch for the finishing touch. We would share it the next morning.

Unfortunately, it unloaded itself in US 281 at 60 MPH. The next morning, we strapped the remaining cart to a two wheel dolly and shot our first match. We went through 3 more carts after that, searching for the perfect design.

Sawdust Joe has since passed away and my wife has replaced him as my shooting pard. We both use wooden carts, but they come from Mustang Woodcrafters.

Wyatt,

I need to think about that. I think "The Lurker" or "The Instigator" might be better. Or, maybe "He with the Most Black Stars." Those all seem better than The Boss. :ph34r:

You show wisdom few people possess ;)

Mine is wood and is built to resemble the gun cart that Wyatt used at the Gunfight at the OK Corral. Totally appropriate for our game.

Lafitte :P

And don't forget the Earps also carried parasols along with those guncarts. :blink:

~:Wylie:~

And don't forget the Earps also carried parasols along with those guncarts. :blink:

~:Wylie:~

Not to mention the cupholders for their travelmugs of coffee..... :P

Laz

So one of these would be ok?

GregsGunCart004_zps27a6fc64.jpg

That's really nice, but my back already hurts thinkin' about loading it into the van!!!

Laz

Van.... It will need it's own trailer! I estimate 125 lbs unloaded.

The very last thing CAS is ever gonna need is ANY kind of a rule about gun carts.

Thru the years there have been attempts to outlaw the horizontal carry of long guns in carts (think little red wagon et al) but fortunately those efforts have always been defeated.

May it ever be so. Any style or configuration cart constructed of any materials should be fine, just fine for all of us.

SASS sure needs to maintain the hands off policy regarding carts they have always thankfully shown so far.

The comments about the gun carts used at the OK Corral made me laugh.

As a brand new dude, I've got enough crap to buy without working about the jeep stroller my boy has outgrown being "period correct."

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Now be reasonable, fellers!

At SASS, we don't use NCOWS rules. :lol:

Mustang Gregg

Being fairly new to the game, I have no real thought on it either way! :D I started using a plastic bin and now have a wooden cart.... In the club I shoot with, the folks have anything and everything... I just looked at it as a tool to get from point A to B. I think about the only person in our club that has anything close to a period correct type cart is our own Crazy Emmitt! :lol: Its a great looking wagon.

DSC_1296_zps48642687.jpg
DSC_1297_zps882818bb.jpg

Being fairly new to the game, I have no real thought on it either way! :D I started using a plastic bin and now have a wooden cart.... In the club I shoot with, the folks have anything and everything... I just looked at it as a tool to get from point A to B. I think about the only person in our club that has anything close to a period correct type cart is our own Crazy Emmitt! :lol: Its a great looking wagon.

A PLASTIC WATER BOTTLE! He needs to throw it all away and start all over! :P

Well...........If ya can't wear pants with belt loops..............

You are either all in or a hippo-crit

They suck, the aluminum ones but............This is NOT a history correct game.

I don't like them, BUT I'm gonna keep quiet. I'd rather just play the game, and have fun, after all, we don't drive horse buggies there either ;)

Knarley

I take a break from the Wire for a tiny bit and come back to this?!?!?!?

Seriously, OP, there was NO SUCH THING as gun carts in the old west. How in the world can you demand they be period correct????? THEY'RE NOT PERIOD CORRECT TO BEGIN WITH!!!

SASS is about the spirit of the game, not about historical re-enactment. If it was, we wouldn't be using Rugers, or rifles in .45 Colt, or .38 Specials.....!

DSC_1296_zps48642687.jpg

DSC_1297_zps882818bb.jpg

I like that cart.

Hi Folks,

I love seeing the big creative gun carts. Yul Lose is a master craftsman too. I've seen his work. However, as "Cart Boy" no longer shoots and I'm getting weaker as I age, I am seriously considering the Rugged Gear. My current cart is just a heavy hassle with bent wheels. :blush: Female driver. ;)

I got to use Taquila Tab's at the US open and loved the ease of pushing it anywhere.

To each his/her own. More power to you with the craftsmanship, strength, and inclination to make award-winning models. Just leave the rest of us alone. :o:P;):ph34r:

Regards,

Allie Mo

I'm sorry.....just my opinion as I wait in line to check my luggage at 4:30am.....

Not a fan of the baby carriage and golf cart aluminum frame jobbers....

Should be a rule: anyone that complains about people following the rules should be MDQ'd from the sport.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Now be reasonable, fellers!

At SASS, we don't use NCOWS rules. :lol:

Mustang Gregg

Again someone brings NCOWS into a SASS match. Gun carts are legal in NCOWS except for the "working cowboy" catagory.

You could build one out of Legos

lego-79108-stage-coach-escape-the-lone-ranger-ibrickcity-5_zpsabf8f29d.jpg

Now it's 8pm and I've been up since 4:30, rode two "Wooden" airplanes to get home and have another idea.......

Umbrellas MUST be solid earth tone color canvas or muslin.....No South Florida beach umbrellas on the line!

All "Non Wood" gun carts must park in a special area so they don't distract from the natural settings of the more :"Period Correct" gun carts.

All Cowboy boots must have leather soles.

Veneer covered particle board is hundreds of years old...(Well, the veneer idea is anyways.... :unsure: )

Over on the motorcycle forums we would refer to the thread like this as an "oil thread".......You know.."What's the best oil to use in my bike?...And away it goes ....500 posts later it has turned into a free for all!... :D

Whoa there, I happen to agree with Roy B. I did a lot of research before building my wooden carts, and all of them are exact replica's of guncarts made between 1871 and 1899. I love doing research on the internet, because they can't put anything on here that isn't true. :unsure:

:D:D:D

I absolutely agree with the OP -just as soon as I git rid of my metal one! And my brella is green, or, used ta be. Now a brownish green. Period correct filth!!!! :D

Archived