SASS Wire Forum

Should be a rule..guncarts must be wood

Rancho Roy

Only thing that I can thing of, which a wooden gun cart would have over anything else, is a secure platform for permanently mounting a church key. But even this is questionable.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jess Money

I just love threads like this! The OP allows me to have a good chuckle every time I think about it. As they say, Laughter is the Best Medicine so I should be good and healthy real soon.

I think gun carts are an unnecessary luxury that need to be banned. If you're going to shoot, your horse can hold your long guns when they're not in use. If you're one of those fancy city types, you can lay your long guns up against the side of your carriage. Farmers and ranchers who come by buckboard can put their long guns up against the seat. If anyone arrives by stage coach, they'll just have to hold their long guns between uses. That'll teach them to plan better. Besides, only professional hustlers show up to a match in a stage coach. It's a well-known fact.

Guncarts must conform to your shooting category: Gunfighters carts must have a left & right handle and made of wood in a fixed configuration Duelist carts may only have one handle and made of wood in a fixed configuration Age based categories may use a modern adjustable cart with a loop handle Senior categories are open to choice... MTC

:P

I have a pair of saddlebags so do your darndest!

My Baby cart's got wood!

20140110_143247_zps8e20bbc4.jpg

You RICH people are ruining the game..... :D

..........Widder

I think gun carts are an unnecessary luxury that need to be banned. If you're going to shoot, your horse can hold your long guns when they're not in use. If you're one of those fancy city types, you can lay your long guns up against the side of your carriage. Farmers and ranchers who come by buckboard can put their long guns up against the seat. If anyone arrives by stage coach, they'll just have to hold their long guns between uses. That'll teach them to plan better. Besides, only professional hustlers show up to a match in a stage coach. It's a well-known fact.

Usually, when we travel by stage, I am only paying my fare to get to the range. There are a lot of other folks on there paying their fare, too. So it splits the cost between all the passengers. The stage company has to eat the loss if they can't fill their coach.

So this notion that all of us who ride the stage are RICH is pure bupkis.

Maybe, to avoid having to hold my long guns at the range after arriving by stage, I can go to the the stable in town and rent a horse or to the edge of town and "borrow" one out of the passing cattle company's remuda.

Now, what do we do with folks who shoot at a range off the rail line if they so choose to travel by train? Is it acceptable for them to use the luggage cart or hand truck from the depot if available?

Started this cowboy shooting business 20+ years ago. I carried my guns and ammo bag. Me and a pard thought we'd get a burro and let her carry all the stuff. We figured it would be awesome and very authentic to lead a burro around with our supplies. We actually bought a jennie, made a pack frame and began leading her around the ranch. First day she did great. One problem: when she would stand around for more than 20 minutes, she would lay down on her side and try to roll. We were glad we hadn't put shotguns or rifles on her. Obviously the plan didn't work out. I have a wooden gun cart, and yes, it has a beverage holder on it.

Ban 'em all, they're an eyesore, and hazard on the range. I'd say to hang the first guy to ever bring one... but... no one probably remembers him or cares.

I think I'll go to a 3-Gun match... to heck with gun CARTs, drive your pickup from stage to stage...

Sheesh! Don't you guys sleep.

I don't see name calling or insults. Maybe I'm getting numb... :unsure:

This will never come to pass. Seems like a joke by someone who needs "Member" changed to "Pot Stirrer."

And here is a new smiley for that:

How about full size Golf Carts?

IMHO, wooden carts should have to conform to wood species categories also. There would be 4 categories pine would be for outlaws, oak would be for lawmen and soldiers, walnut would be for townies like undertakers and brothel inspectors and such and then at about $60 to $90 a board foot the banker types could have instrument grade fiddleback maple or paumo sepele guncarts.

OK, since we're going down the road to absurdity...

Classic Cowboy carts must be manufactured from materials readily available prior to 1874.

And must be shod.

I'm sorry.....just my opinion as I wait in line to check my luggage at 4:30am.....

Not a fan of the baby carriage and golf cart aluminum frame jobbers....

All gun carts should be like Rugged-Gear............ :P

Wood is only good for burn'n...... :lol:

:ph34r:

LG

B Western Carts have to have spurs, Smilie pockets, and be highly adorned with Conchos, stitching, or piping?

I better get busy!

Sheesh! Don't you guys sleep.

I don't see name calling or insults. Maybe I'm getting numb... :unsure:

This will never come to pass. Seems like a joke by someone who needs "Member" changed to "Pot Stirrer."

I think I created a monster.

Can you change mine to 'The Boss'

Plywood will be allowed as it was introduced into the US in 1865. Wire nails will be allowed too since they were present in the late 19th century. However cart judging contests shall give preference to those who use nail-free construction or wrought nails. Each match shall have a cart-nazi who shall roam the match ensuring compliance with cart rules. For small matches this official may also serve as a member of the costume police.

I'm sorry.....just my opinion as I wait in line to check my luggage at 4:30am.....

Not a fan of the baby carriage and golf cart aluminum frame jobbers....

Yepper.... when I started I built one hell of a gun cart. That sucker was legendary and there were probably some side wagers about how long it would take before I blew out my back loading and unloading it out of the bed of my F250. Then I started traveling a bit more to shoots here and there.

Next thing you discover is that even with a full sized truck, you can barely fit gear for one let alone clothes, bullets, guns, gear, hats etc. for two AND a monster gun cart. Pretty soon all of that loading and unloading and packing/ re-packing to fit gets really old.

And now I have the lightest, tightest, collapse-able gun cart with big wheels I could build. Like KeyHay it's still got some wood, but my next one won't.

As much as I truly admire the ones that talented builders like Yul Lose, Rolan Kraps and others have posted here over the years, for me those are for local shoots. Although if Captain Morgan turns his back that baby of his may accidentally be under cover in my truck bed before he can find it. :ph34r:

Key Hay!

That's a cool cart! Any plans, instructions or parts info on how you built it? Collapsible?

Pain

Key Hay,

I see you started with a Jeep stroller. Does it have 3-wheel drive and a Low range in the tranny?

Nice lookin' cart, by the way.

Laz

Key Hay,

I see you started with a Jeep stroller. Does it have 3-wheel drive and a Low range in the tranny?

Nice lookin' cart, by the way.

Laz

It has "B" Western Drive! Low range kicks in about the 5th or 6th stage (sooner if it's hot).

Archived