SASS Wire Forum

Cast Lead Bullets +

captqueeze

Say Al;

I've been told that there's also a Clear Powder Coat finish; if that's the case it should all but eliminate concerns about multicolored "jellybean" bullets. I'm sold on the stuff because it greatly reduces ones exposure to Lead and is a darn site cleaner to handle. Protects the guns bore from lead fouling, ect. Since you own a bullet casting company, can you say what is the most common BHN for Cowboy bullets?

Are you going to the Woolaroc shoot this spring? I'd sure like to meet ya.

Capt

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of Woolaroc. So no.

You keep talking about Woolaroc. Is that the club name? shoot name? Is it a SASS match?

There does not show to be a SASS club in Woolaroc.

I will be going to Prince of the Pistoleers in Lenexa Kansas in June.

It's a fun match. Normally between 100-150 shooters.

O.K. Al, here's the information you asked about. It's a SASS shoot scheduled @ Woolaroc , outside of Bartlesville OK. Here's some general information:

For those of you that have not attended the Pursuit into the Osage Nation
before, it is held at Woolaroc - a wildlife park & western museum,
located near Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Pursuit is fast gaining a
reputation for being one of the most original and fun shoots around.
Longhorn cattle, deer and buffalo roam freely throughout the park and
have been know to visit the range! The range is set up next to a
Mountain Man camp and along the banks of a lovely lake. In fact, we even
get to shoot at floating targets! This shoot was even nominated for the
SASS Woolly award for 2013 Best Shoot!

I think it's a small shoot, maybe as many as 80 shooters. I'm looking forward to attending.

Capt

Reading thru this from the start, -that picture with the multicolored rows of Easter eggs in the egg carton doesn't look right somehow.

I prefer the silvery grey lead look to my bullets.

Those colored bullets remind me of the orange plastic safety caps they put on the airsoft pistols and cap pistols to show they are toys.

Well, these are not cap pistols and I'd be afraid someone would think ammo loaded with those brightly colored bullets would mistake them for toys.

There are some people around who will snatch up a firearm and point it playfully at another human being thinking it has been loaded with toy bullets or snap caps often used for dry firing practice.

I could foresee someone shooting at another playfully squeezing off a shot before anyone could stop them with no malice intended, but with deadly effect!

Just my 2 cents.

Reading thru this from the start, -that picture with the multicolored rows of Easter eggs in the egg carton doesn't look right somehow.

I prefer the silvery grey lead look to my bullets.

Those colored bullets remind me of the orange plastic safety caps they put on the airsoft pistols and cap pistols to show they are toys.

Well, these are not cap pistols and I'd be afraid someone would think ammo loaded with those brightly colored bullets would mistake them for toys.

There are some people around who will snatch up a firearm and point it playfully at another human being thinking it has been loaded with toy bullets or snap caps often used for dry firing practice.

I could foresee someone shooting at another playfully squeezing off a shot before anyone could stop them with no malice intended, but with deadly effect!

Just my 2 cents.

A Packer; Those people you describe AREN'T the crowd that frequent SASS shoots, IDPA matches, ect, now are they? I don't understand your fear? Any galoot worth his/her salt would NEVER point a firearm at ANYTHING he/she didn't want to destroy, whether the gun was loaded or not, right? I'm lead to understand that there is a Powder Coat Paint that is white when applied and then bakes to a clear finish, what would you think about those? Now, seems to me that you couldn't have much in the way of objections to them since there wouldn't be the multi-color distraction for you and you'd have the added benefit of LESS exposure to Lead. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

Capt

Capt,

The clear ones sound very interesting. Please fill us in if you get a chance to try them out with some real BP or a sub like APP

I think a problem for BP shooters is that we need the lube to keep the BP fouling soft. Powder coated bullets will be of no value in that regard.

MTC

Personally, I like my lead bullets to look like lead bullets and have no desire to color them like Easter eggs. As far as function, it seems like a lot of time and effort to address a non-existent problem in our sport. The fact that this is a common practice in the "alphabet sanctioned matches" doesn't carry any weight with me, if I wanted to shoot that style, I would. It was an interesting read though and I learned a few things.

Hey B. Dick; thanks for weighing in. Here's a little update I found that might be of interest. Folks ARE using Powder Coat in a clear finish to aid that have a "polychromatic" phobia. They accomplish the positive benefit of eliminating a health hazard , that being exposed to Lead and possibly Lead vapors which are even more of a health hazard. They also eliminate the smoke off the "grease" used as traditional lube, again a health risk.

]

Enjoy;

Capt

A Packer; Those people you describe AREN'T the crowd that frequent SASS shoots, IDPA matches, ect, now are they? I don't understand your fear? Any galoot worth his/her salt would NEVER point a firearm at ANYTHING he/she didn't want to destroy, whether the gun was loaded or not, right? I'm lead to understand that there is a Powder Coat Paint that is white when applied and then bakes to a clear finish, what would you think about those? Now, seems to me that you couldn't have much in the way of objections to them since there wouldn't be the multi-color distraction for you and you'd have the added benefit of LESS exposure to Lead. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

Capt

Capt

In a perfect world, I would agree with your saying "The people you describe AREN'T...", but they are people period.

Everyday, somebody who knows it all forgets and shoots themselves or someone they don't mean to just because we are human.

I am pretty sure that making bullets look like anything they ain't, is just adding to the variable.

I want my guns to look like guns and my ammo to look like ammo.

Next you'll be powder coating your guns so they look like toys too, or why haven't you?

They will probably be easier to clean and some kid will snatch up a loaded powder pink pistol

loaded with yellow bullets and put red dripping holes in someone or themselves.

You may not choose to coat your fire arms, but give them time and someone will do it!

Yeah, a really good idea!

Sound Win/Win to YOU! Capt.

I hope common sense wins out.

Alferd Packer

I guess I just don't see the need. I am glad that it works for folks but after shooting over 100k lead bullets traditionally lubed with a wax based lube for the last 12 years of shooting CAS I'm not looking to change anything. Whatever works for you.

Those of you who are still arguing the legality of these coatings better not shoot in Australia. The majority of bullet casters here ONLY produce their projectiles in these coloured coatings! Never before heard any suggestion that they might not be SASS legal... and I'm sorry Gentleman (and Ladies) but some of the arguments made AGAINST in this thread seem to have been cut to fit a conclusion already reached...

Coloured projectiles will make shooter treat the gun as if it is a toy? Really? I would suggest if that is true the problem goes WAAAY deeper than the ammo!

I used Aussie made Green and gold projectiles at US matches from about 1997 till about 2003... then I started buying locally made ammo.. so there is nothing new about this concept...

I don't think a loading table officer should have to be burdened with cutting/scrapping into shooters ammo.

If a shooters rifle/pistol ammo is not clearly identifiable as legal then there's a problem.

The burden of proof should not fall onto the identification as legal but identification as illegal....

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

I wonder how shooters are going to react to, "Let me scratch the paint off'n one of your bullets...."?

MG

I just got into pc and there is another way to do it--tumbling. Bullets and the pc powder in the tumbler and run it up to five min. Take them out with hemostats and place in toaster oven. Cook at 400 for 10 min and done. Frost to taste.

this cuts out the need for the ES sprayer and if you use HF colors you really can get into it for just a few $$

Here is some photos on my set-up: http://home.comcast.net/~walterlaich/powder_coating.htm

The burden of proof should not fall onto the identification as legal but identification as illegal....

I have to disagree, if you shooting a clubs steel, you better be able to prove there is lead under (solid color) the coating. Just show the MD before hand what you want to shoot and get the go ahead.

I haven't followed this thread so its my first time to read this one through....very interesting information here. I was hoping someone from Australia would chime in.....thanks Constable Nelson.

Oh...and the Woolaroc match of which he speaks can be found on a thread on the Wire here.

Kajun

And I ALSO shot powder coated GUNS for quite some time... including at Winter Range and EOT.... My rifle was red, white and blue, my shotgun was green and gold.

Some of you folks might even remember them;;

NEVER had anyone think they were not real guns!

My current projectiles are:

230gr RN 45 BLACK

125 TC 38 RED or Black

130 RNFP 38 RED

115/125/160 9mm/38Super GOLD

All polymer coatings specifically allowed under SASS rules....

And so clean to use!!!

(The rifle had the Australian flag "wrapped" around the blue buttstock, and the "Eureka Flag" on teh blue foreend.... the Shotgun had green stock, gold-ish barrels/action/trigger guard and RED triggers... with the Boxing Kangaroo on the buttstock!)

Yep as Constable Nelson says..been around & used in Australia for years, SASS legal,are sized accordingly, contrary to what some previous posters may be suggesting they are safe on steel & for onlookers, clean to use [barrel]...don't use moly coating myself but have purchased coated lead from others with no problems.

Well gee, I'll jump on this dogpile...LOL. After reading some of the posts, SOME, I'm sure glad I don't hafta shoot with such narrow-mindedness. Gee fellers, get a grip, take a chill pill and please, have some FUN!!! Some feller wants to shoot goofy colored bullets (ooh, toy bullets, someone could....) Please, gimme a break! Who cares what COLOR they are! Powder coating's been around for a long while. It's actually pretty slick, and shouldn't pose a danger of 'sticking'. I suppose if you loaded them wet and let the 'paint' dry to both the case and bullet that might be a problem. I wouldn't do that myself. The military has been using 'sealed' ammunition for decades with no problems. I can personally attest that some of those sealants work VERY well and the thousands upon thousands of those rounds I've shot...zero problems. BUT...they were designed that way. I know how well they 'seal' because I've pulled more than a few for one reason or another. That there stuff...wow. Shot some Argentinian stuff I think it was, 308 sealed with some kind of tar. No problems but that gummy stuff sure was a mess to clean out of an H&K chamber! I would imagine that since we are all reasonable and smart folks, one would thoroughly investigate the matter for themselves before going out on a limb. So to speak. I couldn't see, anyway, nohow, no way that powder coated bullets would pose a danger when shot on steel targets. The coating is no slipperier than moly; I don't see how that would work. No way nohow. (Oh, I already said that its my ADD again...) so anyhow, the bottom line is these coating are legal according to SASS rules. You want to have some special rule for your club, that's just fine too but you're missing out on some fun!!!

I remember that rifle Constable! I'm sure it violates some 'gaudiness rule' somewhere, (on planet X maybe) but here on earth, us earthlings think its cool! (me anyway) So...you going to have bullets with the same colors? I'd like to see that!!!

And I ALSO shot powder coated GUNS for quite some time... including at Winter Range and EOT.... My rifle was red, white and blue, my shotgun was green and gold.

Some of you folks might even remember them;;

NEVER had anyone think they were not real guns!

My current projectiles are:

230gr RN 45 BLACK

125 TC 38 RED or Black

130 RNFP 38 RED

115/125/160 9mm/38Super GOLD

All polymer coatings specifically allowed under SASS rules....

And so clean to use!!!

(The rifle had the Australian flag "wrapped" around the blue buttstock, and the "Eureka Flag" on teh blue foreend.... the Shotgun had green stock, gold-ish barrels/action/trigger guard and RED triggers... with the Boxing Kangaroo on the buttstock!)

Okay...then how do I know that lead isn't a coating on copper or some space age alloy...perhaps we need to test your bullets so EVERY shooter has to line up and have ALL of their ammunition tested. Actually, it would be real simple, just gash'em with a knife. Wouldn't take but a second...now, about them shotgun shells you got.... :wacko::blink::lol:

I have to disagree, if you shooting a clubs steel, you better be able to prove there is lead under (solid color) the coating. Just show the MD before hand what you want to shoot and get the go ahead.

Just beatin a dead horse as they say,but I like SASS because I admire Historically the people from the early days of our Country and even other countries as well.

I like the traditions and the guns and the clothes and the respect that men and women demanded and fought for.

Indeed many of the shootouts were over somebody thinking another had disrespected them.

These gaily colored bullets seem to make fun of our SASS as would some who would come to a meet wearing polka dot tennis shoes and clown makeup with a backwards baseball cap on their heads.

If you allow the colored bullets which would have gotten you laughed at and thereby disrespected in the old WEST, how can you disqualify wearing assbackwards baseball caps, swimming trunks and tennies, t-shirts, or shower shoe flip flops? How about a gal in a bikini?

Why the insistence on dressing as period and maybe as a character as possible?

Well, its just for those of us who enjoy celebrating that historical period of the Old West as accurately portrayed as possible.

The colored bullets are just not needed, nor were they ever a part of the American West.

They just take something away from the whole idea for me. It just ain't the Cowboy Way for me.

And for the gentlemen from Australia, thanks, but No Thanks!

Archived