SASS Wire Forum

OT Recommendations for CCW holster for GI 1911

I know this could open a whole bucket full of worms :) , but here goes:

I'm looking for recommendations for a strong-side, outside the waistband concealed carry holster for a GI 1911. I am partial to leather, so Kydex, etc. is really not what I'm looking for, and I'd like to keep the price under $100 if at all possible. I currently have revolver holsters from Lobo Gunleather (4" S&W .357), Simply Rugged (Ruger SP101), and O'Rourke Leather (Smith Mt. Gun), all three were love at first wearing and I would not be averse to holsters from any of those makers, but I thought it might be good to get some possible other opinions on CCW holsters from folks who carry a full size 1911 on a regular basis. How 'bout it, y'all?

Thanks in advance for anything you fine folks might be able to tell me!

In no particular order I have: Milt Sparks IWB and OWB... awesome product... get the horsehide/ Kirkpatrick...again... awesome product IWB/ White Hat ...kydex IWB..awesome the wide backing spreads out the weight so it doesn't pull my pants down/ GALCO...concealment OWB- well worth the money and no wait time. I use this often for IDPA (which so far I just refuse to shoot with plastic...just me.) Lee Lilles OWB... none better and it's ostrich/ elephant black w/ single mag IWB to match.

Not one of them is under $100 BUT...if you shop EBAY/ keep an eye on forums some feller will decide that 1911's are old school and go with a M&P or XD-S or whatever and his whole kit will go on sale.

Which is how I got all but the Milt Sparks, which for a zillion reasons sells for more used than he sells it new.

I've looked at the Galco Concealable on the 'Net, and I found it on Amazon for $87. Sounds like I need to look at Milt Sparks, too. Thanks for your input, gents.

Look and try a Cross Breed holster-

IWB and very confortable-

Give them a look-

The Crossbreed is my favorite holster. Very comfortable and conceals very well and you can keep your shirt tucked in or out.

JEL

I prefer a shoulder holster most of the time and a cross draw during the remainder. However, Idaho Leather is my recommendation for what you desire.

Have a look at D M Bullard's leather, available with a Body Shield (sweat guard), an extended leather backside to keep the pistol from digging into your side.

http://dmbullardleather.com/

I own several of the OWBs, two for the 1911, one for XDs, LC9, have been pleased with all of them. Bought one of the heavy duty gun belts too.

Kramer leather:

http://kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=11&categoryID=24

I have several, 1911, glock, SW. Carry the glock at the moment, carried the 1911 exclusively for 5 years every day in the IWB version, looks good for another 20. Very comfortable and the horsehide is thinner than the cowhide version Get the horsehide version $126. You won't have to buy another one. Go to a gunshow in WA state and get a "second" (couldn't find an issue with any of them personally) and get it for $100 or less. Puallup is probably the closest to you. Washington gun collectors show is your best bet.

Don Hume First Agent Belt Holster Right Hand 1911 Government.

I have been using one for 20 years .

I stick the barrel in to my right front change pocket .

You cant even see the gun.

Even with just a Tshirt on.

Works great

About 25.00

.http://www.armslist.com/posts/389814/asheville-north-carolina-tactical-gear-for-sale--don-hume--first-agent-holster-for-small-frame-glock

Thanks for the input, folks. I got ambitious yesterday, invaded my son's leather shop and made a holster kind of similar to the Galco. Time will tell whether or not it does what I want it to do. If not, I'll go shopping with some of the vendors you fine folks pointed out.

Thanks again!

You could do a whole lot worse to check out Cherokee Charlie Leather - you'll have to run a search on his alias here on this site for a PM contact for him. I have a full two-gun rig made by Charlie and it is perfect!

Johnny Morris is another first rate leather maker - his info is below. I've got one of his WB holsters and am very satisfied with it.

http://jm-leather.com/index.htm

Archived