SASS Wire Forum

MICHIGAN ~ Interesting situation in Grand Rapids

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

I am kinda riding the fence on this one.... :mellow:

http://www.woodtv.com/news/local/grand-rapids/grand-rapids-claims-immunity-from-open-carry-lawsuit

Please share some input if you'd like...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Anytime you can stop an unlawful search and detention, you should. I support this citizen's right to sue the pants off the Leo's, based on the "facts" presented. However, it should go further, the Leo(s) should he/they be found guilty should permanently barred from serving as a LEO ANYWHERE, period. This kinda crapola shouldn't be tolerated.

Capt

Anytime you can stop an unlawful search and detention, you should. I support this citizen's right to sue the pants off the Leo's, based on the "facts" presented. However, it should go further, the Leo(s) should he/they be found guilty should permanently barred from serving as a LEO ANYWHERE, period. This kinda crapola shouldn't be tolerated.

Capt

I agree with you 100%.

I am not on the fence at all. He was not breaking the law. He was, as described in the new clip being subjected to:

Official oppression = A person acting or purporting to act in an official capacity or taking advantage of such actual or purported capacity commits crime if knowing that his conduct is illegal, he/she: (1) subjects another to arrest, detention, search, seizure, mistreatment, dispossession, assessment, lien or other infringement of personal or property rights; or (2) denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power or immunity.

If this isn't the law in Michigan, it should be!

I am not on the fence at all. He was not breaking the law. He was, as described in the new clip being subjected to:

Official oppression = A person acting or purporting to act in an official capacity or taking advantage of such actual or purported capacity commits crime if knowing that his conduct is illegal, he/she: (1) subjects another to arrest, detention, search, seizure, mistreatment, dispossession, assessment, lien or other infringement of personal or property rights; or (2) denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power or immunity.

If this isn't the law in Michigan, it should be!

I agree and am NOT on the fence on this - especially after seeing this video:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/01/dashcam_video_grand_rapids_pol.html

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived