SASS Wire Forum

2014 Georgia State Championship

Marauder SASS #13056

I love travelin' with this Cracker Crew. These guys keep me young and definitely entertained even though I don't, won't and CAN'T hang with them at all hours of the night in the hotel lobby!!!! Knowing my #2 son and his runnin' buddies as I do however, I'm certain their discussing Mozart, quantum physics, theology as well as the possible interrelationship of John Locke's "Second Treatise on Government" and Plato's "Socratic Dialogues" during those late night sessions but that's just a supposition on my part. ;)

You Crack Me Up Colonel!!!!!!!

Stan

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love travelin' with this Cracker Crew. These guys keep me young and definitely entertained even though I don't, won't and CAN'T hang with them at all hours of the night in the hotel lobby!!!! Knowing my #2 son and his runnin' buddies as I do however, I'm certain their discussing Mozart, quantum physics, theology as well as the possible interrelationship of John Locke's "Second Treatise on Government" and Plato's "Socratic Dialogues" during those late night sessions but that's just a supposition on my part. ;)

I hate to break it to you but we mainly talk about guns, women, cars, money, whiskey and who did what and on what stage. Now the order and depth of those topics vary depending on the age of the speaker. At my age, I mainly talk about the relation between guns and whiskey (when I was younger is was the relation between cars and women). I am dang-near a PhD on the topic of whiskey and currently have a double Master's degree on guns, a solid Bachelor's in the sweet science of cars, but the countless hours I have exhausted on the study of women have only netted me the equivalent of a 5th grade education.

Oh well, you can't be an expert at everything.

Practiced AAC at our local match today. 5 stages total. 2 gunfighter, 2 wrangler and 1 stage duelist. I did not do that bad at all. A couple of misses shooting gunfighter but that was it. I also ran the 97 with black powder. No problems at all with the Holy Black in the 97. ;)

This style of shooting really makes you think! :wacko: It was really a hoot to shoot it. :D Looking forward to shooting this next month with all the other AAC shooters.

Cheatin'

Practiced AAC at our local match today. 5 stages total. 2 gunfighter, 2 wrangler and 1 stage duelist. I did not do that bad at all. A couple of misses shooting gunfighter but that was it. I also ran the 97 with black powder. No problems at all with the Holy Black in the 97. ;)

This style of shooting really makes you think! :wacko: It was really a hoot to shoot it. :D Looking forward to shooting this next month with all the other AAC shooters.

Cheatin'

Just for clarification boys and girls, at the Ga. match you CAN NOT shoot the 97 with BP for the FC stages. Normal FC rules shall apply for the two stages required.

I am glad you are working on your AAC skill set. I think there is a bunch of us who are trying out new styles in an effort to get ready. I am still trying to learn how to load a S x S. It should prove entertaining.

See you then.

The date is rapidly approaching, have you sent YOUR entry in yet??

Posses are filling up fast, first in gets best chance to shoot with your pards. When a posse is full, it's full! Git out your crying towels.

Buckles for Top Lady and Top Man have been ordered, I believe Dang It Dan has ordered the AAC buckles. Main match bucks ordered..are you gonna get one? Mississippi Kid is bringing the special decanter and bourbon for Bill Bonney.

Stage sponsorships are still available. My stage sponsorship is in memory of Poppa Jake. He was like a second dad to me. Always brought me roses from his garden when he came up here for a match. I do miss him terribly. He was truly a gentle man. Sorry, I digress, something in my eyes...

Can't wait to see the AAC shooters get after it! Let's roll!!

Pitty

Just for clarification boys and girls, at the Ga. match you CAN NOT shoot the 97 with BP for the FC stages. Normal FC rules shall apply for the two stages required.

I am glad you are working on your AAC skill set. I think there is a bunch of us who are trying out new styles in an effort to get ready. I am still trying to learn how to load a S x S. It should prove entertaining.

See you then.

Got it!! :) I will be shooting the whole match with the Holy Black. Just wanted to see how my 97 would do. Looking forward to shooting with some of the best cowboys & cowgirls shooters in the country. Plus it will be my BIRTHDAY that weekend. Going to have some FUN!! :D

Cheatin'

Well tried out the smokey stuff this weekend, had to clean my guns every other stage.

Shootin BP gunfighter has it's own unique issues.

Can't wait to shoot AAC with the whole bunch!!!

Ok after 2 days of tryin to git all that nasy BP outa my guns

I came up wit a spare part fer my 73, & I can't figure out where it goes.....

either that or my dogs messin wit me and threw it in the ultrasound when I wasn't lookin

What does the part look like? Sometimes those dogs can be very sly!!! <_< Did you clean your guns before you shot the BP? In my experiences shooting BP in a gun that has been shot with smokeless is a BEAR to clean. Especially if it has been a shot alot between cleanings with smokeless. The BP loosens up all that carbon and turns into a muddy mess. 45 Colt seems to be the worst about it. Mileage may vary.

When I have someone ask me about shooting BP in there guns I tell them to clean there guns first. I can clean my 4 BP match guns in about 30 minutes. Cleaning after shooting with black is not harder you just have to clean them more often. :ph34r:

Can't wait for the AAC next month. It is going to be a HOOT!!!! :D:D

Cheatin'

This is where I am suppose to say something like; "A real champion can do things without looking like he is really trying", or some such B.S. line like that. We both know, I had no idea where the hat went until after the stage was over and everyone was standing there without saying a word because they didn't want to jinx me.

What can I say.....better lucky than good. ;)

We have been getting some questions about a cut off date for match applications. The cut off is May 14, 2014. The date of April 11, 2014 is the cut off for free tee shirts. If your application is postmarked on or before April 11, you get a free tee shirt.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at southrivershootists@yahoo.com

Regards,

Pitty

We have been getting some questions about a cut off date for match applications. The cut off is May 14, 2014. The date of April 11, 2014 is the cut off for free tee shirts. If your application is postmarked on or before April 11, you get a free tee shirt.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at southrivershootists@yahoo.com

Regards,

Pitty

Pitty--do you plan to post a "Who's Shooting" list? Thanks.

Add Fire N Fallback to the group !

We added another one boys......put your big girl panties on and put your name of number 6 there.

1. Dang It Dan
2. Three Nut
3. Roughneck Rod
4. Chance Ramsay
5. Cheatin' Chamberlin

6. ?

6. Fire N Fallback

Oh yeah.....the list of cowboys and cowgirls that ain't SKEERED is growing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Line-Up:

All Around Cowboy

1. Dang It Dan

2. Three Nut

3. Roughneck Rod

4. Chance Ramsay

5. Cheatin' Chamberlin

6. Mississippi Kid

7. Knot Hardly Dunn

8. Captain Bill Burt

9. Will Killigan

10. Wed Wiver Way

11. Fire N Fallback

All Around Cowgirl (aka we ain't SKEERED!).

1. Shamrock Sadie

2. Dang It's Darlin

3. Chancey Lady

4. ?

5. ?

Got number 11 for the fellas....do I hear 12?

Pitty

I'm really looking forward to this one! There's a possibility that the Iron Cowboy may have to miss it due to a championship soccer tournament (they're undefeated) so I have mixed feelings about that. I would love to have him see you guys shoot, but I would also love for him to win a soccer championship. He's a goalie and has only been scored on twice this year. We've already talked about it and he knows he'll have to give it up for the team if they're in the tournament.

I'm really looking forward to this one! There's a possibility that the Iron Cowboy may have to miss it due to a championship soccer tournament (they're undefeated) so I have mixed feelings about that. I would love to have him see you guys shoot, but I would also love for him to win a soccer championship. He's a goalie and has only been scored on twice this year. We've already talked about it and he knows he'll have to give it up for the team if they're in the tournament.

And rightly so! I hope you don't miss it either!

I'd vote for that. And take Koda Joe with ya. :D

Plus I would like to see Easy Rider, Bluff and you there, BB.

So are these the rules for 'All Around Cowboy' as they currently stand?

Here is a quick explanation of what a Free-Style stage is IF you are shooting the "AAC" category at the Georgia State match this year:

First, and as I am sure you have heard, on the two designated Free-Style stages, you can stoke the 97 or 87 shotgun with up to four rounds and stage it.

BUT, there are two more differences. Shooters can start ANYWHERE they wish on the stage, but you can't end the stage with the rifle. AND, these stages are considered to be "total round count". That is to say, if the stage says, "engage the three targets with a 2-1-2 sweep and repeat sequence", the AAC competitor "may" shoot the three targets 4-2-4 instead.

Dang It

OK boys, here are the guidelines to shoot "ALL AROUND COWBOY"!!

1- The dress code is Classic Cowboy for all 10 ten stages

2- Friday will be 5 stages: 1 Gunfighter, 2 Traditional, 1 Duelist, 1 Open

3- Saturday will be 5 stages: 1 Gunfighter, 1 Duelist, 1 Open, 2 Black Powder. Black Powder may be shot as FC, FCD, or FC Gunfighter.

All Around Cowboy will not be considered in the running for Top Overall due to the stoking of the shotguns in Open Class.

Pitty

Rule Clarification:

In order to compete in AAC, you must use at least two of the following three shotguns: Double Barrel (with or without hammers), 1897, or 1887. You may use all if you like, but it's the shooter's choice as to which two minimum you use.

Out of the 10 stages, you must use the double on at least four stages (two of which must be the Black Powder stages as required under Frontier Cartridge rules, and just for clarification you MAY NOT use a 97' in Frontier Cartridge). You must use the 97' or 87' on at least four stages as well (two of which must be the Free Style stages). The other two stages are shooters choice.

Received a couple of emails from cowgirls yesterday with questions about what the rules are. So compiled the rules and posting (verified by Dan and Pitty).

All Around Cowboy/Cowgirl (AAC) Rules:

1) Clothing: The dress code is Classic Cowboy/girl for all 10 stages.

2) Stages:

- 2 Traditional

- 2 Gunfighter

- 2 Duelist

- 2 Freestyle

- 2 Frontier Cartridge (these will be the last 2 stages of the match so you don't have to clean your guns...well at least that day)

3) Shotgun Types: You must use at least 2 of the following 3:

- Double Barrel (with or without hammers)

You may use all if you like, but it's the shooter's choice as to which 2 minimum you use.

4) Double Shotgun Stages: Out of the 10 stages, you must use the double on at least 4 stages (2 of which must be the FC Black Powder stages as required under Frontier Cartridge rules; you MAY NOT use a '97 in FC).

5) '87 / '97 Shotgun Stages: Out of the 10 stages, you must use the '87 or '97 on at least 4 stages (2 of which must be the Freestyle stages where you may stoke the SG). The other two stages are shooters choice.

6) Rifle: Any SASS legal main match rifle is allowed.

7) Caliber: Any SASS legal main match caliber is allowed.

8) AAC will not be considered in the running for Top Overall due to the stoking of the shotguns in Freestyle.

Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below. All clothing items

must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

Chaps, Western spurs with spur straps, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife (screw knives do NOT qualify), botas, leggings, braces; no straw or palm hats allowed.

In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category: Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape.

Anything else?

So are these the rules for 'All Around Cowboy' as they currently stand?

Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below. All clothing items

must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

Chaps, Western spurs with spur straps, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife (screw knives do NOT qualify), botas, leggings, braces; no straw or palm hats allowed.

In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category: Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape.

Anything else?

There will be some allowances such as.....we will allow straw hats (this is the South you know) for both the men and the ladies. Also we are not going to be "boot-police", so lace-up boots will be fine.

But, if Santa Fe River Stan wants to compete with a feather boa, he can ;).

Archived