SASS Wire Forum

2014 Georgia State Championship

Marauder SASS #13056

maybe different rifles ought to be thrown in tuu......

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's official. My better half is definitely coming with me to the state match. Y'all will get to meet her at the banquet. Catherine is the reason why I got involved in CAS way back when, but because of her disability, she has never been to a match, and I have been doing this for 12 years now.

OK boys, here are the guidelines to shoot "ALL AROUND COWBOY"!!

1- The dress code is Classic Cowboy for all 10 ten stages

2- Friday will be 5 stages: 1 Gunfighter, 2 Traditional, 1 Duelist, 1 Open

3- Saturday will be 5 stages: 1 Gunfighter, 1 Duelist, 1 Open, 2 Black Powder. Black Powder may be shot as FC, FCD, or FC Gunfighter.

All Around Cowboy will not be considered in the running for Top Overall due to the stoking of the shotguns in Open Class.

If you have already sent your application in and want to change your category to ALL AROUND COWBOY, just send me an email at southrivershootists@yahoo.com and request the change, or you may call me at 770-361-2439.

If you want to shoot AAC and have not sent your app in yet, just write it in! All shooters in the category will be possed together, so first come first served!!

Dang it Dan, if I left something out, please jump in and add it please!!

Looking forward to May!!

Pitty

OK boys, here are the guidelines to shoot "ALL AROUND COWBOY"!!

1- The dress code is Classic Cowboy for all 10 ten stages

2- Friday will be 5 stages: 1 Gunfighter, 2 Traditional, 1 Duelist, 1 Open

3- Saturday will be 5 stages: 1 Gunfighter, 1 Duelist, 1 Open, 2 Black Powder. Black Powder may be shot as FC, FCD, or FC Gunfighter.

All Around Cowboy will not be considered in the running for Top Overall due to the stoking of the shotguns in Open Class.

If you have already sent your application in and want to change your category to ALL AROUND COWBOY, just send me an email at southrivershootists@yahoo.com and request the change, or you may call me at 770-361-2439.

If you want to shoot AAC and have not sent your app in yet, just write it in! All shooters in the category will be possed together, so first come first served!!

Dang it Dan, if I left something out, please jump in and add it please!!

Looking forward to May!!

Pitty

I think that about covers it.....BUT we will be using at least two, if not three different shotguns. Because most folks can't come up with an 87, we might drop that requirement. Shooters in the AAC category will have to use the double barrel in at least four stages (two of which can be the black powder stages), and the 97 in at least four stages. That leaves the two Freestyle stages to do with as you will.

Thanks for all the help. Last I heard, Roughneck Rod is now shooting in AAC!!!

Ok I don't have a dog in this hunt but I would like the AAC contestants to rethink the stoked shotgun or Pitty to over look it. It would be a shame to have some of the best there is not shooting for the overall. Either way I know I'm getting my butt kicked but this mutation class. I could see this catching on real quick.

sure wish this fit my schedule!!! but that weekend I hope to be in Indianna for Koruption in Paradise!

Ok I don't have a dog in this hunt but I would like the AAC contestants to rethink the stoked shotgun or Pitty to over look it. It would be a shame to have some of the best there is not shooting for the overall. Either way I know I'm getting my butt kicked but this mutation class. I could see this catching on real quick.

MW my friend, we really weren't looking for an HOA win. This was a time for us to just cut loose and have some fun, and of course make a lot of fun of each other. And, from a practical side, we will be giving up about 30 seconds when you factor in the time lost on Duelist, Gunfighter, Blackpowder and Lord knows how much time on the double barrel for me (can you say "monkey and football?). Is it conceivable that four or five top shooters fall down (a lot) and an AAC contestant win? - sure. It's also conceivable that the House, Senate, and Obama repeal the Affordable Health Act.

I figured that you guys had an up hill battle with some of the challenges of AAC but we're talking bout cream of the crop. Anyway can't wait to see it.

AAC??

We'll lets see. I have never shot a 97 in a match or practiced loading 1 on the clock. (I've only shot one in WB, stoked), I don't have any knowledge of BP ammo, I have really short thumbs so I don't shoot gunfighter or duelist, and I've only held an 87, once, never shot one.

I think I'll stay with Wrangler. :)

Good luck to those who shoot against DiD, Rod, and Stan.

JEL

AAC??

We'll lets see. I have never shot a 97 in a match or practiced loading 1 on the clock. (I've only shot one in WB, stoked), I don't have any knowledge of BP ammo, I have really short thumbs so I don't shoot gunfighter or duelist, and I've only held an 87, once, never shot one.

I think I'll stay with Wrangler. :)

Good luck to those who shoot against DiD, Rod, and Stan.

JEL

What's that I smell? Yup, John E. is cookin' up an excuse - and it's over-done! I will load your black powder loads and bring them with me. We can put your thumbs in a "thumb-stretcher" device that involves some PVC and some screws (don't worry, it will work), and anyone can load a 97' 'cause they're soooo easy.

Quit your whinnin'. This category is for all the real men, so I guess you're not qualified. ;).

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's that I smell? Yup, John E. is cookin' up an excuse - and it's over-done! I will load your black powder loads and bring them with me. We can put your thumbs in a "thumb-stretcher" device that involves some PVC and some screws (don't worry, it will work), and anyone can load a 97' 'cause they're soooo easy.

Quit your whinnin'. This category is for all the real men, so I guess you're not qualified. ;).

No excuses, That smell is just your Depends need changing! :D Most of us "Real Men" don't have to have these um....."rooster" measuring contests!

And you know what they say?? Small thumbs = large .......... Oh never mind :)

I'll shoot BP if YOU personally clean my guns for me,

I think I'll pass on the stretcher thingy,

And everyone knows it's much, much harder to run a SxS fast!

JEL

I have been watching this thread and I might just have to jump in with you boys! ;) I have a 87 shotgun that is bone stock but shoots well. If we take out the 87 we could put in a hammer double instead.

Cheatin'

Who else has the courage to join in?

1. Dang It Dan

2. Three Nut

3. Roughneck Rod

4. Chance Ramsay

5. ?

TN Stan

I have the courage, just maybe not the time. Need a 97 also, which I'm sure I could find one.

I have been watching this thread and I might just have to jump in with you boys! ;) I have a 87 shotgun that is bone stock but shoots well. If we take out the 87 we could put in a hammer double instead.

Cheatin'

Dang, Cheatin' beat me to it. I was going to suggest dumping the '87 for the manly man hammered double. And I've got several spares if someone would need one. This AAC is going to be fun to watch.

Dutch

Rule Clarification:

In order to compete in AAC, you must use at least two of the following three shotguns: Double Barrel (with or without hammers), 1897, or 1887. You may use all if you like, but it's the shooter's choice as to which two minimum you use.

Out of the 10 stages, you must use the double on at least four stages (two of which must be the Black Powder stages as required under Frontier Cartridge rules, and just for clarification you MAY NOT use a 97' in Frontier Cartridge). You must use the 97' or 87' on at least four stages as well (two of which must be the Free Style stages). The other two stages are shooters choice.

Ok, this should be the last posting on the rules. If this ever takes off, I am sure there will be variants like Outlaw, but for now it is what it is.

- Two stages Traditional
-Two stages Gunfighter
-Two stages Duelist
-Two stages Frontier Cartridge
-Two stages Freestyle

My head is starting to hurt. I hope others will join in on the fun, but hey, between the three of us hotdogs it should be fun to just watch.

Count me in! :D:D I aint scared!!!!!!! I am also trying to talk a couple of our local cowboys into shooting it with us, this looks like alot of fun. We got are own Top Shot going on here!

Cheatin'

Rule Clarification:

In order to compete in AAC, you must use at least two of the following three shotguns: Double Barrel (with or without hammers), 1897, or 1887. You may use all if you like, but it's the shooter's choice as to which two minimum you use.

Out of the 10 stages, you must use the double on at least four stages (two of which must be the Black Powder stages as required under Frontier Cartridge rules, and just for clarification you MAY NOT use a 97' in Frontier Cartridge). The other six stages are wide open as to 97', or 87' (two of which are free style stages so the gun may be stoked with four rounds and staged).

Ok, this should be the last posting on the rules. If this ever takes off, I am sure there will be variants like Outlaw, but for now it is what it is.

- Two stages Traditional

-Two stages Gunfighter

-Two stages Duelist

-Two stages Freestyle

My head is starting to hurt. I hope others will join in on the fun, but hey, between the three of us hotdogs it should be fun to just watch.

In case I missed something, any main match rifle correct? I read that Classic Cowboy part and want to be sure Marlins are ok.

Rule Clarification:

Out of the 10 stages, you must use the double on at least four stages (two of which must be the Black Powder stages as required under Frontier Cartridge rules, and just for clarification you MAY NOT use a 97' in Frontier Cartridge). You must use the 97' or 87' on at least four stages as well (two of which must be the Free Style stages). The other two stages are shooters choice.

- Two stages Traditional

-Two stages Gunfighter

-Two stages Duelist

-Two stages Freestyle

Ok, so I am still trying to nail down the shotgun rules. Please see the edited rules as stated in red above. Really, this is the last time.

I don't know if my guns know how to shoot that smokeless stuff! :blink: They will probably lockup! :lol::lol:

Cheatin'

It's an acquired taste. I am sure your guns will put up with it through eight stages....but then again, you don't have to shoot smokeless at all. You could shoot BP for the whole match because there is nothing saying that you can't. Your 97' might not like it too much, but then again, they were originally designed to handle that black stuff.

If you just want to add style points, shoot the whole thing BP!

This just keeps getting better and better!!!!!!!! I might have to SMOKE up the whole place! :D I just acquired the 97 in a trade, but have not shot any black through it. Time to try it out before the AAC match.

Cheatin'

Black powder was all that was available when the 1897 Winchester came out. Most seem to favor SXS for black as they are a little easier to clean. Either one can cause the fore end wood to smoke after 10 or 12 shots, but I doubt you will be shooting that many at the state shoot. I am looking forward to WATCHING this new class.

McKenzie

Archived