SASS Wire Forum

DCOM warning, anyone else experience this?

this warning pops up and then shuts down the puter....

any ideas?

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DCOM.html

Seems to only affect Windows-based computers. Google "DCOM" and you'll find how to disable it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825750

Check your keyboard for peanut butter...

Har! Mac has their own issues...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Can't prove it by me. I've had an I Mac for over a year now and it works absolootley fantabulous! :lol: No virus, no glitches, nothing but pure enjoyment!

Rye

the one I'm having trouble with is bout 6 yrs old......

don't know that there is a code, it says it not working and must shut down windows in one minute.........

How often does it happen?

What's the whole msg?

Is it the boot up stage or has the computer been on for a while?

Waimea

:FlagAm:

after it has been on a while...

it started happen after I deleted Avast spy ware...

That sounds like a very old automatic shutdown virus. There is a command one can run to abort the shut down if you can open a CMD prompt window and execute the command within one minute. Also, if you cancel/taskkill certain OS functions you can cause a shutdown. Try one of these methods next time:

http://www.instructables.com/community/How-To-Stop-A-ShutdownRestart-in-Windows/

or

http://lifehacker.com/5234722/how-to-stop-windows-from-shutting-down

it started happen after I deleted Avast spy ware...

Why did you delete Avast?

Did you put something else in it's place?

I'd start by putting it back on.

Waimea

went back to Microsoft essentials,

PPBMB....Microsoft Essentials is ok but not a complete anitvirus solution. I have the MS Essentials but also use AVG (the free version...cuz I'm cheap and want to continue to afford my peanut butter) . Between those two I feel covered.

Re: the DCOM warning message....a few links have been provided for you. I will share this with you in addition what those links say....when you uninstall a anti-virus program it will often leave entries in your registry. If your computer is a bit older (6 years I think you said) the registry has probably not been purged of old entries for programs that have been removed. A lot of times a corrupt registry will give you strange results. There are a few registry scanning programs that you can get....some for free.....that will scan the registry for old entries that do not apply to the software currently installed.....and will make the necessary edits to the registry to clean it up. I've done this for several people and it ended some of the weird shutdown messages and also resulting in faster boot times and faster overall computer run speeds.

PPBMB....Microsoft Essentials is ok but not a complete anitvirus solution. I have the MS Essentials but also use AVG (the free version...cuz I'm cheap and want to continue to afford my peanut butter) . Between those two I feel covered.

Re: the DCOM warning message....a few links have been provided for you. I will share this with you in addition what those links say....when you uninstall a anti-virus program it will often leave entries in your registry. If your computer is a bit older (6 years I think you said) the registry has probably not been purged of old entries for programs that have been removed. A lot of times a corrupt registry will give you strange results. There are a few registry scanning programs that you can get....some for free.....that will scan the registry for old entries that do not apply to the software currently installed.....and will make the necessary edits to the registry to clean it up. I've done this for several people and it ended some of the weird shutdown messages and also resulting in faster boot times and faster overall computer run speeds.

Krazy what are the free ones ????

PB

KK gave you good advice.

Essentials is the BAREST minimum to make you FEEL like you're protected.

AVG (free) is very good and is also what I use.

Clean that registry and install AVG.

GREAT ADVICE.

Waimea

I'll try that later KK, thanks! heck, I wish we would have tawked about this at the siege, I had this one there.....

thanks again

PPBMB

I use the free version of the AVG antivirus package.....you download it for free here. Between it and Microsoft Essentials (also free) I feel I am pretty well covered. (notice the repeat of the work free)

My last name is Broussard (Cajun born and bred) and I come from a long line of thrify...er uh frugal....or maybe it was economical....hell, our family is just CHEAP.! My father's nickname was Brucestien.

PPBMB - you should run a registry cleaning program before you install an anitivirus program. I know I know, your next question is where can I get a FREE registry cleaning program....and the answer to your question would be here. After downloading and installing and running the registry cleaning program you'll need to reboot your computer and IMMEDIATELY after that go to the link above for the AVG antivirus and install it. Then you'll reboot your computer and the program will sprinkle some majik wiffle dust inside your computer and you should be good to go....at least from a registry and anti-virus program standpoint.

Waimea - Just wanted to let you know that I did eat a waffle in your honor at Siege (not a chawklette one :( ) and it was good. Mebbe next year we can stay at the same bunkhouse and get us some waffles and spread lies, half truths and maybe one or two truths about PPBMB. Mebbe even watch some of the video footage showing how PPBMB got him some peanut butter in his gunkart :D :D .

Kajun

I lak free!!!! will try those!

Krazy what are the free ones ????

CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner is a widely respected free program that I have used for years. Cleans all the old peanut butter out of the system. :)

ok, on my puter that taint hurting I cud download the piroform no problem and ran it.

on hurting puter, it would only open but not download.... ugh

now what?

ok, got them downloaded, now just to get it to clean before it decides to shut down!

the avg is saying the trial period is over, but I wanted the free one!!! got the cc done, I think.

I am sooo tired of these ones that offer free downloads and then saying you need this and that but for $$

sheesh

the avg is saying the trial period is over, but I wanted the free one!!! got the cc done, I think.

I am sooo tired of these ones that offer free downloads and then saying you need this and that but for $$

sheesh

I'm thinking when you download the AVG anti-virus you did not download the FREE one. There should be no "trial" period with it. When you do install the free version that you'll find here remember to choose the one on the left, not the right. While you are installing the free version they provide you with prompts on a few occasions to "upgrade" to the paid model in the installation process....reply to that just like you would to getting more peanut butter...."just say no."

If you have already installed the AVG anti virus and you get this "trial period is over" prompt you'll need to do the following actions in the order they appear below:

1. Uninstall this "paid" version.

2. Reboot your computer

3. Run the registry cleaner again.

4. Reboot your computer.

5. Go to the webpage link above where you can download the Free version of AVG. On that webpage there are two columns. The one on the right is the Paid version, the one on the left is the Free version. Click on the Free version and go through the install process. During the install process you'll see "nagware" prompts that ask you if you want to upgrade to the Paid version. JUST SAY NO. Also during the process the program will want to know if you want it to install a "safe search" toolbar in your browser and other options...once again "JUST SAY NO." All you want to install is just the AVG and no other add-ons or upgrades.

6. After you install the AVG (and only the AVG) reboot your computer (it may do that for you after install). In the bottom right hand corner of the screen in the toolbar you should see an icon from AVG antivirus. If you ever open the AVG desktop you'll be offered more "nagware" prompts for you to upgrade or install other AVG products......"JUST SAY NO."

Let me know how it turns out after you do that.

Kajun

Waimea - Just wanted to let you know that I did eat a waffle in your honor at Siege (not a chawklette one :( ) and it was good. Mebbe next year we can stay at the same bunkhouse and get us some waffles and spread lies, half truths and maybe one or two truths about PPBMB. Mebbe even watch some of the video footage showing how PPBMB got him some peanut butter in his gunkart :D :D .

Kajun

KK

Sorry you did not get to experience the world famous chocolate waffle recipe. So easy even I can't mess it up.

I would for sure like to get together longer than we had at the Siege.

Even the folks that I did have some time with ... just didn't seem like enough. :(

See you down the trail,

Waimea

It's running it's scan now, took some doing,,,,,

ugh!!!!! the scan was over 80% when that stupid DCOM shut it down again!!

Can't prove it by me. I've had an I Mac for over a year now and it works absolootley fantabulous! :lol: No virus, no glitches, nothing but pure enjoyment!

Rye

My Macbook Pro is 4 years old and the iMac is 3 years old. I don't have a complaint about any of them! All of my PCs had started showing signs of descent into insanity by 4 years and went totally kapoop by 5. One of my friends has a Macbook that is 10 years old and still trugging along.

No software lockups. No driver issues (any piece of hardware works without installing a driver). Better all around. Period.

finally got avg downloaded, shut it down then ran cc cleaner again, now we'll see if it still shows the dcom crap.

it's interesting, if you run a scan with the free anti virus nothing is reported as bad. if you run the free download that you have to buy after it scans, it says you have hundreds of problems,,,,somebody ought to be overseeing those companies..... just saying..

went thru all that and the dcom still comes up, I think I'll try deleting the avg and try installing the avast free again....

Cheyenne, If you have windows, talking to my neighbor, she had the same thing happening. Seems one of the updates had a glitch. She started deleting stuff from 5 months back. Go to Control Panel, then programs, and check dates, and start uninstalling. MT

Archived