SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter class confusion

I have been shooting gunfighter for 6-7 years. I thought I understood the rules pretty good but this weekend something happened that make me wonder.

Another gunfighter was shooting the stage when his left pistol jammed. He shot the right pistol dry and holster as he should have and is completely legal under the rules. He then un-jammed the left pistol and finished shooting the stage using his right hand. He told me what he did is completely legal also.

My understanding from the rules is that once he had cleared the jam he must shoot the rest of the stage with his left hand. Who is right?

From Shooter's Handbook:

“Gunfighter Style” is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand. Revolvers must be
cocked and fired one handed, unsupported, one right-handed and the other left-handed.
There is no set pattern as to how the revolvers are to be fired, but alternating revolvers is
clearly the most efficient.
• The Gunfighter and B-Western Categories are the only categories that allow two loaded
revolvers “in hand” at the same time.
• When a stage calls for 10 revolver rounds in a single sequence or the use of only one
revolver for the stage, the Gunfighter may draw both revolvers and engage the targets. The
Gunfighter shall shoot the targets in exactly the same sequence as prescribed in the stage
scenario. A Gunfighter may utilize any sequence that might be available for use by any
other shooting category.

He was correct in that he shot the right dry and holstered.....but he should have completed the string with the other pistol left handed.... it's no different than a split pistol where you would shoot double duelist. At no time would a GF be allowed to shoot both pistols with the same hand during a string of ten.

KK

yup

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I would say it was done incorrectly, if he was shooting Gunfighter Category.

If he was shooting B Western Category, it would have been correct to clear and fire remaining rounds with either hand.

BTW: Category, not class. SASS has no class.

MG

Give that man a P and send him to the RO books.

He did good until he shot it with the same hand as the other gun was shot from.

At that point. He was out of category.

He can shoot one dry and holster.

He can help get the gun back up and in working order using both hands.

But then he needed to finish the string with the hand the gun started in.

He better get that straight before he pulls that again and gets nailed for it.

5 rounds right and 5 rounds left with NO EXCEPTIONS!

"Out of category!!!"

Yes he shot out of category. He should get a P.

Marshall Jack, Hope to see you again soon. Maybe 4th Saturday at Briggsdale? Hoping to get up there for it. Can't Make Pawnee this week, Kiowa has to work. :(

Painted Filly

Yes he shot out of category. He should get a P.

Marshall Jack, Hope to see you again soon. Maybe 4th Saturday at Briggsdale? Hoping to get up there for it. Can't Make Pawnee this week, Kiowa has to work. :(

Painted Filly

Well double dang it! Was hoping to see you Filly, it's been far too long! Weather is looking good for Pawnee too!

Griz,

Sorry :( Kiowa has to work nights so dont have enough time to make it up and back home before he has to go to work.

I will see you soon though I promise! :)

Painted Filly

Archived