SASS Wire Forum

The new rules, what's the call

Scary Indian Dude

Is there a new rule about leaving empty in long guns, as long as you clear them before leaving the stage. I was told it is ok to leave a empty round in a shotgun or rifle, as long you clear it before you leave the stage. Is this correct. I thought it was a 10 second minor safety penalty.

Page 17SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY™

SASS Range Operations Basic Safety Course

17. Long guns will have their actions left open and the magazine/barrels empty at the conclusion

of each shooting string. A 10 second minor safety penalty will be assessed if the firearm is

not cleared and opened. This condition may be corrected prior to the next round being fired.

If the long gun is the last firearm used, it must be cleared prior to it leaving the shooters

hand(s) at the unloading table. This does not apply to guns shot out of sequence and made

“safe” and then restaged. If the action of a long gun closes after being opened and emptied,

the shooter will, at the conclusion of the stage, show it to be clear to the TO or a spotter.

Appropriate penalties will be applied if it was not clear. No one other than the competitor

may handle the gun in question.

The material you quoted explains the new rule. The long gun still has to be cleared before next gun is fired or when it leaves the shooter's hands, if it was the last gun on the stage.

Appropriate penalties will be applied if it (the long gun) was not clear.

The penalties are determined as they were before the new rule involving the action being closed when set down.

So, it is still a MSV if the closed long gun contains a fired round when restaged inspected (or for last gun shot, when the gun leaves the shooter's hands at the unloading table).

And still a SDQ if there was an unfired round which was found to be chambered in that closed gun.

Inspection of a closed long gun is required to done at the firing line before the shooter starts to haul it away.

Good luck, GJ

(Another way to look at the new rule - only the penalty for the action closing is eliminated, not the penalty for leaving fired or live rounds in the gun).

The material you quoted explains the new rule. The long gun still has to be cleared before next gun is fired or when it leaves the shooter's hands, if it was the last gun on the stage.

The penalties are determined as they were before the new rule involving the action being closed when set down.

So, it is still a MSV if the long gun contains a fired round when restaged (or for last gun shot, when the gun leaves the shooter's hands at the unloading table).

And still a SDQ if there was an unfired round which was found to be chambered in that closed gun.

Inspection of a closed long gun is required to done at the firing line before the shooter starts to haul it away.

Good luck, GJ

(Another way to look at the new rule - only the penalty for the action closing is eliminated, not the penalty for leaving fired or live rounds in the gun).

Not quite, shooter can still go back and clear a firearm of an empty before next shooting string started, ie round down range. Your comment about after it is restaged does not seem to allow shooter to come back and clear it before next gun is fired. New rule does nothing to change this.

Not quite, shooter can still go back and clear a firearm of an empty before next shooting string started, ie round down range. Your comment about after it is restaged does not seem to allow shooter to come back and clear it before next gun is fired. New rule does nothing to change this.

Corrected my reply for your concern. Thanks GCK

I know the TG's approved the rule change about the closed action but I don't think it's gone into effect yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

According to Pale Wolfe, at the Clubs discretion, it may be applied NOW. At least that's what I understand. Deuce just the other day reported applying the new rule at a shoot.

RBK

SASS rules go into effect after winter range. It used to be EOT but they kept moving the date.

Clubs always had and have the option to start using the rules before then, most do.

The action closed rule means if your action closes on the long gun it's NO CALL as long as there is no round found in the long gun once the SHOOTER, UNDER THE OBSERVATION OF THE TO, verifies it as being empty.

If an expeditor moves the long gun and discovers there is a round in it, THE PENALTIES STILL OCCUR.

The caps were so people will know the salient points of the rule

I know the TG's approved the rule change about the closed action but I don't think it's gone into effect yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The new rules go into effect on March 01. 2014.

Until then it is up to the Match Director if you are using the old rules or the new.

The rule was in effect, thank goodness, at the Siege of St Augustine. After my shooting string T O informed me that the rifle lever had closed when I laid rifle down. He had me open action to be sure there was not an empty on carrier or live round in chamber. Saved me 10.

As I understand it, the penelty is assessed when the next gun is cocked not when a round goes down range. Maybe Palewolf will chime in on this

when the next type firearm is FIRED! although I will not say a word once someone has already pulled a pistol or shouldered a long gun, minor safety is better that SDQ! and that is from experience!

I understand that a long-gun that is closed with a round in the chamber under the cocked hammer is More than a Stage DQ .

Jabez Cowboy

As I understand it, the penelty is assessed when the next gun is cocked not when a round goes down range. Maybe Palewolf will chime in on this

I have had to unload my shotgun (before firing it) on several occasions to go back and open a rifle that had closed. In those cases the internal hammer shotgun was cocked and I had to unload it, without RO permission legally, leaving the shotgun cocked (but open). In fact the shotgun was cocked (and open) laying on the loading table. I have also on at least one time I can remember I cocked a pistol and had to stop and still holding the cocked pistol aimed at the target with one hand, reach down on a table and open a rifle lever at the RO's suggestion.

New long gun rule went into affect right after the convention according to our TG, Larsen E. Pettifogger.

TB

1. Long gun action closed + empty chamber = no call

2. Long gun action closed + empty cartridge/ shotgun shell in chamber = MSV

3. Long gun action closed + live round in chamber = SDQ

If the action is closed, ONLY the shooter may show clear!

Posted by Palewolf on the RO wire...

HIstorically, it's been at or after WR (as announced at a previous Summit meeting).

Used to be at EoT, but when that match got bumped out a month, it was changed to 01 March; then to WR in Feb.

The ROC is pushing to get them in effect immediately...no reason, IMO, not to.

It's up to the WB to make that determination.

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L, 08 December 2013 - 07:22 PM.

Archived