SASS Wire Forum

keep that bottom Marlin screw tight!

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

That underneath screw on the receiver! Cleaned up my guns real good to shoot the BP side match, and then wiped it out after that, but on the seventh and eight stage that I shot, I had rounds follow each other onto the carrier, first one took 20 sec and the second time only ten..

Fortunately for me Lawman reminded me to check that screw, sure enough I wasn't the only loose screw!

pb

That underneath screw on the receiver! Cleaned up my guns real good to shoot the BP side match, and then wiped it out after that, but on the seventh and eight stage that I shot, I had rounds follow each other onto the carrier, first one took 20 sec and the second time only ten..

Fortunately for me Lawman reminded me to check that screw, sure enough I wasn't the only loose screw!

pb

I knew that. But did have my double decide to shoot double with only 1 pull of the trigger on a stage. Turned it into a single shot to finish that stage. MT

There is one thing I've learned over the past couple years and that is no matter how GOOD a rifle is tuned (any rifle), sometimes the smallest of gremlins can bite ya on the butt.

I slicked up two nice Marlins this past year for a couple local shooters and was proud of my work. THEN, I had the agony of being on their posses and watch as they functioned their rifles, pulled the trigger, and ..... CLICK.

Both owners were ready to hang me till I proved to them that it was their ammo and not the rifle. And sure nuff, once they learned to reload correctly and SEAT THEIR PRIMERS correctly, they became VERY SATISFIED with their Marlins.

Stuff happens!

..........Widder

The loading gate screw likes to loosen too. I have a Big 5 Marlin that has to be tightened every other stage.

Go to the auto parts store and buy some "blue" Loctite.

Fillmore

I purchased my first Marlin, a 336 in .35 Remingon in 1949. Now, I have a .38 Special for a loaner and a .38-55. for sidematches. I have never had a problem but that's because we have hunted at our place since the 1870s and we have learned a few things about Marlin quirks, like springs, firing springs, cleaning, screws and stock problems! :-)

My sons have steadily had me send them much of my forearms inventory so, this year, I did my elk and deer hunting with my tried and true, trusty old .35!! :-) Happily, it still shoots to point of aim. Unhappily, my shakiness moves that around a bit! :-) Still, my freezer is full! :-)

IMHO, it is hard to beat a Marlin!!!

You can tell a Marlin owner by the color of his screwdriver:)

I usually check them too, usually don't check that one because it doesn't loosen, I forgot to tighten it, BUT you can bet, from now on I will,,

that's three times at two major matches....... I THINK I've lurned my lessun!

What the heck is it about those Peskity Marlins? I have owned a couple, and pretty much, no matter what you do, those blankety screws keep loosening. Get busy with a screwdriver, every other stage, if you own a Marlin.

Now, about Ruger Vaquero ejector rod housing screws... :-o!!!

Cheers,

FJT

I have forgotten where I bought it, but Latin Gun turned me on to a screwdriver built into a shell case so you can keep it on your pistol loops on the shotgun belt. Its amazing to check the screws on a marlin and see that a bunch are loose. I suppose I ought to tighten the rugers too.

Its obvious to me that some of you don't know the PROPER SEQUENCE to use when tightening those screws.

There is a good, correct sequence that will prevent some of those screws from coming loose.

..........Widder

I carry a screwdriver with at least a 3" shaft, shorter and you cant use it on a jam...

Its obvious to me that some of you don't know the PROPER SEQUENCE to use when tightening those screws.

There is a good, correct sequence that will prevent some of those screws from coming loose.

..........Widder

Widder, PLEASE tell us.

THX,

LG

Lumpy,

Once the 1894 has been taken apart a couple times, there is ONE screw that tends to loosen thru the process of working the lever. AND that screw is the carrier pivot screw. Unless ya want to use alot of locktite, the best thing to do is check this screw between every stage.

But, here is a good sequence to tighten all the other screw:

Assuming you are putting the rifle back together, insert the carrier pivot screw first....Don't tighten it.

THEN, with the floor plate in place, insert the BOTTOM screw but DO NOT tighten.

Then, put the LEFT side plate screw in but DO NOT tighten.

Then, put the hammer in and the hammer screw but DO NOT tighten.

THEN: tap the floor plate forward to insure its in its proper position and then TIGHTEN the bottom floor plate.

THEN: tighten the left side plate screw.

THEN: tighten the hammer screw

THEN: tighten the carrier pivot screw.

The remaining screws can be tightened when you finish putting the rifle together like the lever screw and stock screw.

Its also a good idea to check the small forearm endcap screws and the mag tube screw.

I've taken a couple my Marlin apart dozens of times and have used this method to reassemble them with 'secure' results.

..........Widder

Thank you Widder.

Believe it or not-That's the same 'pattern' I use.

I do use just a small drop of #242 Loctite on all the screws, except the lever pivot screw. Never a loose screw issue and I can remove the screws anytime with no problems.

LG

Widder didn't tell his real secret. He doesn't use loctite. It's a small dab of peanut butter (smooth for easier removal later). He also eats a lot of crackers between stages but that's a whole 'nuther story.

funny thing is, I've never had that one loosen, and that wasn't the issue this time.. I forgot to tighten it after I cleaned et! so the problem was,,,,

I cleaned it!!!!

Lumpy,

Once the 1894 has been taken apart a couple times, there is ONE screw that tends to loosen thru the process of working the lever. AND that screw is the carrier pivot screw. Unless ya want to use alot of locktite, the best thing to do is check this screw between every stage.

But, here is a good sequence to tighten all the other screw:

Assuming you are putting the rifle back together, insert the carrier pivot screw first....Don't tighten it.

THEN, with the floor plate in place, insert the BOTTOM screw but DO NOT tighten.

Then, put the LEFT side plate screw in but DO NOT tighten.

Then, put the hammer in and the hammer screw but DO NOT tighten.

THEN: tap the floor plate forward to insure its in its proper position and then TIGHTEN the bottom floor plate.

THEN: tighten the left side plate screw.

THEN: tighten the hammer screw

THEN: tighten the carrier pivot screw.

The remaining screws can be tightened when you finish putting the rifle together like the lever screw and stock screw.

Its also a good idea to check the small forearm endcap screws and the mag tube screw.

I've taken a couple my Marlin apart dozens of times and have used this method to reassemble them with 'secure' results.

..........Widder

Part of the loading process for my bride is to check the carrier and lever screws. Always work loose, might fall out by the end of a match if left unchecked. I've have Marlins where an over tightened carrier screw can bind up the works, so snug is the rule.

CR

CR: your point is well taken.

I use the word 'snug' probably 99% of the time when talking about the carrier pivot screw. My usage of the word 'Tighten' might have over emphasized what I was trying to say.

Thanks for the reminder.

..........Widder

CR: your point is well taken.

I use the word 'snug' probably 99% of the time when talking about the carrier pivot screw. My usage of the word 'Tighten' might have over emphasized what I was trying to say.

Thanks for the reminder.

..........Widder

T'wernt meant as no chastisement - just trying to clarify so fewer folks have to find out the hard way like we did! :D

CR

T'wernt meant as no chastisement - just trying to clarify so fewer folks have to find out the hard way like we did! :D

CR

I understand. Nearly everything I read on the Wire is like all of us sitting somewhere have a good lunch and carrying on a good lunch table discussion.

Its always good to hear from you and hope you are doing well.

..........Widder

I understand. Nearly everything I read on the Wire is like all of us sitting somewhere have a good lunch and carrying on a good lunch table discussion.

Its always good to hear from you and hope you are doing well.

..........Widder

Doing well, except it's colder than a well digger's a**. Spring can't come soon enough. If we had Karl's money we'd be in a warm place like he is ;) "course, if we had his money, then he wouldn't!

I'm gonna make a match near you some day and work it into a trip to see my mom in Ashville. You can teach me how to shoot gunfighter!

CR

What the heck is it about those Peskity Marlins? I have owned a couple, and pretty much, no matter what you do, those blankety screws keep loosening. Get busy with a screwdriver, every other stage, if you own a Marlin.

Now, about Ruger Vaquero ejector rod housing screws... :-o!!!

Cheers,

FJT

I was only going to shoot one side match with my wife's Rugers, as I didn't want to clean BP that night before the state match. Ejector housing went flying and the screw was not to be found. Thank God for backup guns - stole a screw from one of mine.

CR

CR:

Yep, if we had my bankers $$$, we could be further South in some warmer weather.

Kinda funny you mentioned Karl. He called me about 9:00 this morning and told me he's shivering in cold weather.....53, sunny and no wind.

Hey, thats what your good friends do..... :lol:

Hope you do try GF sometime. Its a hoot.

Yes, be sure to let me know when you may be in this area.

..........Widder

Archived