SASS Wire Forum

Repairing cracked or broken stocks

Buckey Buckem , SASS #9064

Looking for a craftsman that can do their magic on cracked or broken wooden stocks. Most of the cracks or breaks are in the wrist or grip area. On SxS shotgun stocks, cracks out from the side plates and wrist areas are common. I heard a couple years ago that there was a pard in Redmond, Oregon that did exceptional repair work on stocks but has since went into retirement. Surely there is someone out there that does this type of work.

Ron at Run-N-Iron does a lot of old cowboy gun repair and restoration.

http://www.runniron.com/index_cowboy.html

If you have more than one stock broken where the stock fits the receiver, you need to be checking guns for a tight fit where the steel and wood contact and a tight stock retainer bolt (if it has one). Many of these breaks can be prevented by making sure the wood is correctly inletted so that the full contact area can absorb the recoil. Many pards glass bed this area to get a perfect contact.

Good luck, GJ

Try Macon stocks. Talked to the owner and he has a lot of experience bedding stocks for doubles. Cost is $75 a stock. I am going to be sending him several of our SKB's to try him out.

The smith in my town can do it. Has done a couple for me and my dad. I'm thinking around forty/stock. I would need pics to take to him to see if he needed the gun or just the stock to find. But my troubles have been when the stock bolt came loose.

Archived