SASS Wire Forum

heat lamp in chicken house

Trigger Mike

I have decided since my chicken coop is too far to wire that I thought I might put a small generator to run a heat lamp when I have chicks. What is the smallest size I can get to run one or at most two heat lamps? Can these be left outside or should I build a small wooden shelter over them to keep the rain off them? If I drill a hole in my metal building to run the plug thru to the generator, should I caulk over it to keep it from rusting? If I have a 8x10 metal building, on a night in the mid 20s how warm will it get in the coop with a handful of chickens?

I've seen 2-cycle units that would do it but they are kind of loud. 1500W or so. And I would cover it to protect from the weather but still allow air feed.

I remember this being brought up before.

Did you consider the "red neck" way of running power to that building??

That is to suggest - just run an extension cord (heavy duty) over the ground to the building?

Failing that - you could get a chainsaw with an old chain - and use the saw to "cut" a "slit"

to the building and use a piece of lathe to "push" the wire (outdoor use rated) to the building.

I have done this several times -and the wire is 2 -3 inches deep - maybe not up to code -

but fast and neat.

Have your local electrician finish up the wiring if you aren't comfortable with it.

Then - go with a "radiator" type of heater - that does not make much (if any ) noise.

Cost - about $40. It should handle that building with no problem and is thermostatically controlled.

Good luck.

- BB

I remember this being brought up before.

Did you consider the "red neck" way of running power to that building??

That is to suggest - just run an extension cord (heavy duty) over the ground to the building?

Failing that - you could get a chainsaw with an old chain - and use the saw to "cut" a "slit"

to the building and use a piece of lathe to "push" the wire (outdoor use rated) to the building.

I have done this several times -and the wire is 2 -3 inches deep - maybe not up to code -

but fast and neat.

Have your local electrician finish up the wiring if you aren't comfortable with it.

Then - go with a "radiator" type of heater - that does not make much (if any ) noise.

Cost - about $40. It should handle that building with no problem and is thermostatically controlled.

Good luck.

- BB

Sometimes you can get that 16-3 extension cord at a place like Walmart for pretty cheap. I dont know how well that cord would handle a high amp draw that a heater would casue though.

When i was a kid my dad and I ran power to an out building by cutting a tench with a 1 bottom plough, the we laid some wire that was about 12-3 in the bottom of the trench then it was my job to fill it back in.

Some of that regular electrical wire that is rated for underground might be cheaper then extension cord.

several wraps of tape, or if you can find them there are some little plastic collars that you can put in the hole to keep the wire from getting cut by the steel siding.

If it is just a short term thing, I would run an extension cord. A really long cord plugged into an outside outlet would trip a GFCI sometimes. You don't want it to trip on a cold night and kill of all your chickens.

As a long term solution I would dig a trench 12" deep and use 12-2 UF-B cable.

Sounds good, Lumpy. The only chickens I want to be around are eggs and dead and fried. Mom and Dad used to raise chickens and when I was 3 or 4, I was attacked by a White Leghorn rooster and I ain't liked live chickens since.

thanks all. I keep asking questions as I am trying to learn new skills as I try to pretend to be a farmer in my later years of life. figured it would ward off dementia trying new things. don't want to burn the place down though, so will give it some more thought. next up after I get chickens safe from being eaten by other animals than my children is cows. won't that be fun.

thanks all. I keep asking questions as I am trying to learn new skills as I try to pretend to be a farmer in my later years of life. figured it would ward off dementia trying new things. don't want to burn the place down though, so will give it some more thought. next up after I get chickens safe from being eaten by other animals than my children is cows. won't that be fun.

Did you take care of the hawks and foxes? I have a hawk problem.....for now.

Think I'll start trapping yotes.

How far is too far? If the inspector isn't going to be poking his nose around, you can use standard 14-2, and a roll of black plastic water line can be used for overground conduit that you can drive over if staked down sufficiently. If worried about driving over it a lot, you can always bury that portion of conduit. Make sure you seal up the open ends of the conduit.

My mom used to bring the cheeps in the house on really cold nights. kept them in a box in the oven. she only had 100 at a time.

Archived