SASS Wire Forum

Worse western of all time!

Outrider, SASS #72622

Talk about a bad western movie, The Legend of the Golden Gun is on the western channel right now.

I swear the stars costume came from Fredricks of Hollywood.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marauder... I agree with you... about Unforgiven. It was kinda like "Pulp fiction". It's a Ugly movie.

Filmore.... yep Larry... I agree with you on "Paint Your Wagon"... I thought that I was going to die when, at the Bear/Bull fight, the Preacher fell through the ground into the diggings, and Lee Marvin looked at him and said "Welcome to Hell Preacher". :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Snakebite

I know many love it, but

Unforgiven

Written as an "anti-western" intended as some sort of apology for his early westerns.

Gruesome and very fake - not true to the times at all.

My wife and many others hated the movie so much she almost never watches westerns anymore.

So the effect made it one of the very worst for me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

The Frisco Kid?

OK, I have to be honest. The Frisco Kid, is one of my guilty pleasures. More comedy / spoof than anything, it doesn't rise to the level of Blazing Saddles by any stretch. I particularly like the scene where Han Solo, I mean Tommy, Harrison Ford's character utters the line "Reach for it.... PLEASE!"

• 1 year later...

Sharon Stone is the best looking gunfighter I have ever seen. That alone is a good reason to watch "Quick and the Dead". The only reason in fact, Irish Pat sass 19486

Has anyone looked at the current occasional series on the tube now called "The Pinkerton's" or something like that. Watched about 10 minutes of it - it is awful!!!!!!! Thank goodness I have a very large and good collection of Great Westerns! You name it I got it!!

There were NO BAD John Wayne movies. However, some were one H____ of a lot bettter than others. My son and I, as formerly active marines, have not placed "Green Berets" on the 'must own and watch" list. :-)

I hadn't been back from RVN for more than a couple of weeks when my girl friend wanted to see the Green Berets. Still not sure why but she did not appreciate my laughter at the 'wrong' times. She thought I was one sick dude. I thought the movie sucked. Still do.

Worst western - "Molly and Lawless John". Sam Elliot was still learning to act and the script is the worst ever.

I don't remember the title (thankfully), but the lady said in one quip: "You're evil, Roy."

http://www.amazon.com/Hell-Pay-Lee-Majors/dp/B000M341UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428086623&sr=8-1&keywords=hell+to+Pay+Movie

Hell to pay I think the name is with our own evil Roy the sass shooter. I also had a had time watching tommy lees jones and Hilary swank iirc in the homes an, which look to be a remake in plot of prairie fever with Kevin sorbo.

If you think the Ethan Character in the movie is bad, read the book it'd based on!! And I think JW should have gotten an Academy Award for that role. He was more into character there than in almost any other movie he ever did, with the possible exception of Donovan's Reef, and he really WAS himself in that one.

You have not seen a really bad western unless you've seen "Big Money Rustlas". A white hip hop group (INSANE CLOWN POSSE) stars in a western where the main characters have clown makeup on and talk ghetto.

My vote for the worst western is "The Quick and the Dead."

I am not going to read 3 more pages before posting, but I hope you are talking about the Sharon Stone version and not the Sam Elliot version.

The first is the least a director/producer has ever gotten out of such an all star cast.

Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Leonardo DeCaprio, Russell Crowe

The second is a pretty darn good movie.

Howdy

Clearly some of you guys are too young to remember the Grand Prize Winner for the Absolute Worst Western ever made.

Lust in the Dust.

Starring Tab Hunter, Lainie Kazan, and Lord Help Us, Divine.

Just pure Trash.

No, I never had the stomach to watch it, it was made for the same folks who would today be watching trash reality television shows.

Segue to John Wayne

The best John Wayne movie of all time, in this cowboy's humble opinion was The Quiet Man. Not a Western, shot in Ireland by John Ford with much of his normal ensemble cast. Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, Ken Curtis, and the incomparably beautiful Maureen O'Hara. John Wayne plays Sean Thornton, a retired boxing champ trying to escape his past. He falls in love with feisty Maureen O'Hara but has to battle her brother, played by McLaglen, for her affections.

The scene where Wayne drags O'Hara from the train all the way back to Innisfree is a classic and not to be missed.

There are far worse......

"A Million ways to die in the west" Ugh!

Frenchy

It is embarrassing when you are feeling guilty about beating a dead horse and then realize that it is one you beat to death and buried months ago and someone just dug it up, started beating it again and you got sucked in again because you didn't recognize it. :o

I don't know if it really qualifies as a western, but "A Million Ways to Die in the West" is just about the biggest waste of time, money and energy since the invention of film.

I have to disagree. That movie was hilarious.

I tried to watch a movie the other night called Deadwood 1876 (1975) and couldn't even make it through the first 10 minutes. It was that bad.

I have to say that when I saw this thread start, I thought of a few movies... but one stuck out in my mind but was afraid to say because of the fear of getting thrown out of SASS.... :blush:

but I'm gonna say it anyway.... The Wild Bunch is a horrible movie..... I saw it years ago and thought it was bad. Then when I joined SASS I thought I'd give it another try. So I went out and bought it. I fell asleep twice watching it and forced myself to finish it. So it goes on my list of bad westerns. :unsure:

Do I get to keep my badge?

Archived