SASS Wire Forum

Worse western of all time!

Outrider, SASS #72622

Wagons East with John Candy.

Bad vs Good? A bad movie would come on the western channel and I would say to myself, " I wish they would burn that thing."

That goes for any movie that contains Chris Christopherson, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash all in the same movie.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Paint Your Wagon" it was a musical in about 1973 with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin. It was in a mining camp, all miners sang including Clint and Lee. Had to get up and leave in a short time. What a waste of two stars.

I'm not sure Paint Your Wagon can be considered a western as it starts before the gold discovery in CA. Nonetheless I like it.

Fillmore

Three Godfathers was about as bad as they get. I do not even care that it did feature the Duke.

Three Godfathers is a GREAT movie that I watch every Christmas Eve. Maybe not your best western but a great movie.

Fillmore

The Three Godfathers was a great movie, especially if you were familiar with the making of the movie and why in the last scene John Wayne was holding his right arm with his left hand.

I know many love it, but

Unforgiven

Written as an "anti-western" intended as some sort of apology for his early westerns.

Gruesome and very fake - not true to the times at all.

My wife and many others hated the movie so much she almost never watches westerns anymore.

So the effect made it one of the very worst for me.

Somebody's already said it, but "God's Gun" has to rank among the worst.

I'm an outlier in that I actually sort of like the Stone/DiCaprio version of "The Quick and the Dead," although it's not among my favorites. I'm a huge fan of "Paint Your Wagon," and of "Blazing Saddles," -- every genre needs to accept being parodied from time to time.

And yes, John Wayne did make a couple of stinkers -- I'm sorry but that's what they were. "Cahill, U.S. Marshall" is one (using his own money, John Wayne seeming always scrimped on production. The production value of this is something like you'd get on an early-70s TV show, not a Hollywood feature film). The same is almost true of "The Train Robbers." Both sort of look like a long episode of "Alias Smith and Jones," with more famous actors in the roles.

But my vote for the worst western of all time still goes to "God's Gun."

about 90% of the western channel I pay for!!!!:( This channel does not know much about Audy Murphy, Randolf Scoot, Clint Eastwood, Kirk Douglas, Joe McCray etc...

Vance

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Roy Colt and Winchester Jack, a Italian western filmed in Spain and dubbed in some unknown language

Wanda Nevada, can't concider it a western, for a western it sucked but for what it is its OK.

Off topic, don't care much for ANY singing cowboy movies but I do like the bling in some of them like parade saddles and fancy boots and spurs.

I just rented the 2013 version of "The Lone Ranger". OMG was it bad. Bizarre. The humor was weak.

Hopefully it was so bad that some producer will do a truly theatrical updated version of the Lone Ranger.

I sure glad that I rented instead of buying!

Will E. Shoot

Films, like all art, are highly subjective. One man's Oscar winner is another mans trash.

I can't define good and bad westerns but I know them when I see them. ;)

OK, I found a new low in western films last night on YouTube "Sergeants 3" staring the Rat Pack (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., Peter Lawford, and Joey Bishop). I made it 15 minutes into the film and had to move on..... It was that friggin' bad...

I know this will make a lot of people react strangely, but I personally can't stand The Searchers. It was so obviously shot on the cheap in a sound stage that it just looks hokey to me. And John Wayne's character is a really unpleasant SOB. I just don't like it.

Don’t think these were all “Sound Stages”

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Aspen, Colorado

Bronson Caves, Bronson Canyon, California

Goosenecks State Parks, Mexican Hat, Utah

Gunnison, Colorado

Monument Valley, Arizona

Monument Valley, Utah

And RKO Studios Culver City, California

And a $3,750,000.00 est. budget in 1956

The Three Godfathers was a great movie, especially if you were familiar with the making of the movie and why in the last scene John Wayne was holding his right arm with his left hand.

Not in this movie. It's the last scene in The Searchers as a tribute to Harry Carey Sr. one of his early mentors.

Not my fault, too many movies in my head, can't keep em all streight.

John Wayne played the Mexican general in the Wild Bunch........right?

"Sergeants Three" is a remake of the great Kipling story "Gunga Din".

Seamus

And a damn poor one at that.... Fingernails on the chalkboard painful to watch....

I won the soundtrack album when I bought my ticket at the movie theater in Santa Monica in 73.

I went to SAMOHI in '73 and I saw Paint Your Wagon at the Fox Venice Theater when it came out. Love Clint, not a fan of that movie.

Gone With The West.

Six Words: Sammy Davis Jr. as Kid Dandy. Well, okay.. To be honest, that was kind of entertaining, slightly.

I know many love it, but

Unforgiven

Written as an "anti-western" intended as some sort of apology for his early westerns.

Gruesome and very fake - not true to the times at all.

My wife and many others hated the movie so much she almost never watches westerns anymore.

So the effect made it one of the very worst for me.

I have to say I thought it was one of the worst movies I have seem. Not quite as bad as Deathstalker. Although some of the scenery in Deathstalker I am quite fond of.

about 90% of the western channel I pay for!!!! :( This channel does not know much about Audy Murphy, Randolf Scoot, Clint Eastwood, Kirk Douglas, Joe McCray etc...

Vance

Huh?!? You must have a different Westerns Channel than I get.....although I ain't familiar with "Randolf Scoot"

;-)

One of my all time favorites is Sam Peckinpah's "Ride the High Country" with Joel McCrea and Randoph Scott. Often shown on the Encore Westerns Channel.

"The Legend of Jake Kincaid"

This movie was made locally by Alan Autry (actor who became the Mayor of Fresno, Ca). I think that he used every member of his family and every local personality that would show up for no pay... plus a lot of our local Cowboy Action Shooters. It was filmed at a little "Cowboy Town" in the mountains north of Fresno. The budget was less than low.

Snakebite

"The Legend of Jake Kincaid"

This movie was made locally by Alan Autry (actor who became the Mayor of Fresno, Ca). I think that he used every member of his family and every local personality that would show up for no pay... plus a lot of our local Cowboy Action Shooters. It was filmed at a little "Cowboy Town" in the mountains north of Fresno. The budget was less than low.

Snakebite

is that the same Alan Autry that was in the Heat of the Night with Carol O'Conner ???

Rumor has it there's a movie out there so bad it's even got our very own Madd Mike in it

Hey , Philly , I have a copy of that rumored blockbuster. Actually bought it with real money. Course , that was before seeing it. It is a hoot seeing SASS pards that I actually know in the thing , though.

Easily entertained , Rex :D

is that the same Alan Autry that was in the Heat of the Night with Carol O'Conner ???

Yes.

Fillmore

Archived