SASS Wire Forum

Better Check that Walmart meat for recall

Badlands Bob #61228

Walmart has recalled donkey meat sold at some of its China stores after tests showed the meat contained DNA from other animals.

According to Reuters, Walmart said it had set up an investigation team to look into the incident, will strengthen its food safety rules and will take legal action against the supplier.

The Shandong Food and Drug Administration earlier said the product contained fox meat.

The person in charge at the supplier factory has been detained, the report said.

Walmart will reimburse customers who bought the "Five Spice" donkey meat.

"We are deeply sorry for this whole affair," Walmart's China president and CEO, Greg Foran, said. "It is a deep lesson (for us) that we need to continue to increase investment in supplier management."

Donkey meat is popular in some parts of China, although it only accounts for a tiny fraction of overall meat consumption.

Look around Walmart (or Aldi or Ingles, any other grocer for that matter) in the seafood department and see where the salmon, tilapia, mahi mahi etc and so forth come from.

Local Piggly Wiggly runs meat specials. All of which comes from Mexico.

FDA in all it's glory can't get things right. Now we're dependngon second-third world countries to provide nutritious and safe food. I don't think so. Seriously, has it come to this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/world/asia/15fish.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And this goes for any farm fish from anywhere:

http://www.rodalenews.com/salmon-farming

So you're saying they made a complete a-- out of themselves? :ph34r:

EC

(Dang....now Allie Mo is going to ban me from the Saloon!)

So the lawyers are going to play the updated version of "Pin the Tail on the Donkey"?

My annual Wyoming bison is tasting better and better.

Maybe there is something to be said in favor of TOFU! :D

NO! There's not.

What in-tar-nation are you thinking Badger?????

EC

I don't at anything that isn't from the USA, mostly from ranches I know

I'm glad they export it to China. I probably consumed quite a bit of it in my grade school cafeteria as mystery meat. The Chinese are saving today's school children from the same fate.

Hey EC!

Do you really think I'm that prudish or fuddy duddish? Don't answer that. The Wire is the Wire and Saloons are Saloons. Gotta be more PC here.

BTW I lived 40 years in an area of downtown Sacramento that was called Chinatown. I didn't know that until after I retired and after about 35 years living there, when I saw a former co-worker (last name Yee) at the Chinese market. He asked me what I was doing. I said getting (take out) baked bows; I live right there (sorta kitty corner). He said, "I didn't know you lived in Chinatown. Gee, neither did I. However, there were clues and I should have known. I will share one.

One of my non-Chinese neighbors found what looked like a boiled dog head in the gutter in front of his house. He found it strange.

Regards,

Allie "whose Chinese/Japanese friend/former neighbor is the best cook she knows and wouldn't hesitate to eat any of her cooking" Mo

I can't tell you how much money we've paid to the vet for treating our dogs that ate treats we got from Costco that were made in China. Now Mrs. Lose makes all of their dog food and treats. I think they eat better than we do sometimes, and yes I have sampled their food and it's pretty good.

Hey EC!

Do you really think I'm that prudish or fuddy duddish? Don't answer that. The Wire is the Wire and Saloons are Saloons. Gotta be more PC here.

BTW I lived 40 years in an area of downtown Sacramento that was called Chinatown. I didn't know that until after I retired and after about 35 years living there, when I saw a former co-worker (last name Yee) at the Chinese market. He asked me what I was doing. I said getting (take out) baked bows; I live right there (sorta kitty corner). He said, "I didn't know you lived in Chinatown. Gee, neither did I. However, there were clues and I should have known. I will share one.

One of my non-Chinese neighbors found what looked like a boiled dog head in the gutter in front of his house. He found it strange.

Regards,

Allie "whose Chinese/Japanese friend/former neighbor is the best cook she knows and wouldn't hesitate to eat any of her cooking" Mo

The Chinese have a saying, anything is eatable with the right seasoning...My father in law, never cooked anything strange for me...But them squid hanging onto the plate when you wanted to eat them just did not fly for me...I did real well with the rice....

TL

Archived