SASS Wire Forum

First time shooting the C45S with BP

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

...topped off with a 175gr from Springfield Slim. It was a hoot to shoot (albeit weird with so little recoil). Had a number of misses, but I was trying to go full out and after a hiatus of 2 months my pointing/aiming skills suffered. Now I need to find out where they are actually hitting in relation to aim to adjust for the difference from full load 250gr 45 Colt BP loads....

But - FUN? Yes :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

GG, I've been using the C45S for quite awhile now in my revs only and love it. I use 160 gr and a full case of BP/subs and the felt recoil is around the same as .38s. It is a pleasure shooting duelist with BP :wub:

...topped off with a 175gr from Springfield Slim. It was a hoot to shoot (albeit weird with so little recoil). Had a number of misses, but I was trying to go full out and after a hiatus of 2 months my pointing/aiming skills suffered. Now I need to find out where they are actually hitting in relation to aim to adjust for the difference from full load 250gr 45 Colt BP loads....

But - FUN? Yes :D

Hey Gunner, I'm geared up to load 200gr Big Lubes into CB Special brass. How much smoke did you make with your loads?

Spittoon

Hey Gunner, I'm geared up to load 200gr Big Lubes into CB Special brass. How much smoke did you make with your loads?

Spittoon

Plenty of fire and smoke :D Just...weird without the recoil :lol:

I've been loading and shooting BP shotgun for the past month just to pass the winter, it's a blast! I think I'm getting drawn to the dark side.

I've loaded up all my shotgun hulls. My Dillon 450 is set up for C45S. I'm about ready to crank out a few with smokeless.

How are you measuring powder and filling cases? I'm reluctant to use the Dillon powder measure. Can a drop tube be installed instead?

Me and my old 450 are slow so manual dipping of powder won't be a real burden.

I've been loading and shooting BP shotgun for the past month just to pass the winter, it's a blast! I think I'm getting drawn to the dark side.

I've loaded up all my shotgun hulls. My Dillon 450 is set up for C45S. I'm about ready to crank out a few with smokeless.

How are you measuring powder and filling cases? I'm reluctant to use the Dillon powder measure. Can a drop tube be installed instead?

well - the reloading side on this little cartridge is new to me also. I simply used a Lee dipper....takes a loooooong time :lol:

well - the reloading side on this little cartridge is new to me also. I simply used a Lee dipper....takes a loooooong time :lol:

I use my Dillon 550 with .45 Colt dies except for the crimping station. There I use a .45 ACP die. I have been thinking about cutting down a .45 Colt crimping die so I can get a good roll crimp.

Lucky

I'm using 200g bullets and that's what I have. I'm shooting Uberti Cattleman revolvers. The light loaded C45S is pleasant to shoot compared to factory equivalent 255g loads. When shooting the heavy loads, the back of the trigger guard raps my index finger pretty hard.

Are you using real black or a sub? FFg or FFFg?

I'm not thinking a hard crimp would be necessary. The bullets seat plenty tight. The recoil is so mild I wouldn't think the bullets would pull out. With a slightly compressed load of black behind them, I wouldn't expect them to push in when loaded into a magazine tube.

Hey Gunner,

I use scruptous amounts of Clays in my warthog C45S loads..... :)

Although I have a Marlin setup for the C45S, I only use them in my Ruger Sheriff Model Vaqs.

Hey LUCKY: I trimmed off the bottom portion of one of my .45 Colt dies to help make a good roll crimp die.

..........Widder (shooting WartHog smokeless C45S)

I'm using 200g bullets and that's what I have. I'm shooting Uberti Cattleman revolvers. The light loaded C45S is pleasant to shoot compared to factory equivalent 255g loads. When shooting the heavy loads, the back of the trigger guard raps my index finger pretty hard.

Are you using real black or a sub? FFg or FFFg?

I'm not thinking a hard crimp would be necessary. The bullets seat plenty tight. The recoil is so mild I wouldn't think the bullets would pull out. With a slightly compressed load of black behind them, I wouldn't expect them to push in when loaded into a magazine tube.

Goex FFg :D It's my favorite 'all round' powder...

Hey Gunner,

I use scruptous amounts of Clays in my warthog C45S loads..... :)

Although I have a Marlin setup for the C45S, I only use them in my Ruger Sheriff Model Vaqs.

Hey LUCKY: I trimmed off the bottom portion of one of my .45 Colt dies to help make a good roll crimp die.

..........Widder (shooting WartHog smokeless C45S)

Deuce reminded me of my .45 cal Marlin (bulged barrel - but still shoot fine) - and I remembered that in California I could shoot the 45 Schofield easy-peezy from it. Maybe the C45S might work in it...gonna try to see how it chambers tonight :D

Was going to re-barrel the Marlin to a 44-40...but....now.....??

I pulled out my Marlin 94 45c Competition and made up some dummy C45S to try. They won't work without the Widowmaker carrier mod. They come back way too far.

Is their a sorce for buying a modified carrier?

I cut back a 45 Colt seating die and it worked for a fashion. But I couldn't get a roll crimp like I expected. I think the C45S case is too thin. So I broke down and bought a Lee factory crimp die. It doesn't put a roll crimp but more of a taper crimp. I'm not sure I like how it resizes the case again. It would serve a purpose when shooting ACP through an auto but it's of no use that I can see for making revolver and rifle ammo.

Warden,

to my knowledge, there is no source to buy a carrier that is already setup (timed) for the 1894 Marlin.

Setting the timing isn't really all that difficult. It seems the hardest part is getting good ejections of the empties. I'll be experimenting with that aspect of it alittle this winter and spring.

..........Widder

I've watched your videos and printed directions and figured I'm confident enough to try doing the mod. I'll probably try buying another carrier to butcher just in case my confidence is bigger than my skill!

You could probably make up a sample carrier and send it off to China and have them make up a 1,000 copies at 10 cents each.

Deuce reminded me of my .45 cal Marlin (bulged barrel - but still shoot fine) - and I remembered that in California I could shoot the 45 Schofield easy-peezy from it. Maybe the C45S might work in it...gonna try to see how it chambers tonight :D

Was going to re-barrel the Marlin to a 44-40...but....now.....??

Don't put very many in it, 'cause they'll jam up. Schofields may or may not work in a Marlin, but the CS is a guaranteed no without some carrier work.

CR

I've watched your videos and printed directions and figured I'm confident enough to try doing the mod. I'll probably try buying another carrier to butcher just in case my confidence is bigger than my skill!

You could probably make up a sample carrier and send it off to China and have them make up a 1,000 copies at 10 cents each.

Marlins seem to require that each gun get it's own tuning, and are not likely to adapt well to mass produced aftermarket parts designed to make the gun do something it was not originally set up to do. The Spur/Carty conversions are not interchangeable between guns.

CR

Don't put very many in it, 'cause they'll jam up. Schofields may or may not work in a Marlin, but the CS is a guaranteed no without some carrier work.

CR

I'll know tonight. The Schofield did work great with 14-15 loaded in the mag tube.

GG

I'll know tonight. The Schofield did work great with 14-15 loaded in the mag tube.

GG

Get your screwdriver ready :P

Happy New Year, Gunner

CR

Get your screwdriver ready :P

Happy New Year, Gunner

CR

Carry it on me (always have a screw loose in my head) :lol: Thanks Rick ;)

Happy New Year sir.

Gunner and Warden:

here is my phone numbers ifn ya got any questions that I might be able to help with.

Advancing the timing correctly for the C45S isn't hard.

Setting up the timing for a Marlin to function with the C45S AND the .45 Colt interchangably can be alittle more tedious. Finding that timing curve isn't all that hard either but establishing that timing curve between 2 different cartridges requires some good effort on the person doing the job.

Anyhow, good luck and call if I can help.

p.s. - seems like Cowboy Rick knows what he's talking about.

..........Widder

work: 865 / 215-3059

home: 865 / 984-4455

Gunner and Warden:

here is my phone numbers ifn ya got any questions that I might be able to help with.

Advancing the timing correctly for the C45S isn't hard.

Setting up the timing for a Marlin to function with the C45S AND the .45 Colt interchangably can be alittle more tedious. Finding that timing curve isn't all that hard either but establishing that timing curve between 2 different cartridges requires some good effort on the person doing the job.

Anyhow, good luck and call if I can help.

p.s. - seems like Cowboy Rick knows what he's talking about.

..........Widder

work: 865 / 215-3059

home: 865 / 984-4455

I take him as an authority on things ;)

Howdy Gunner, I tried the C45S with the 150gr EPPUG, didn't like much how it shot, haven't had a chance to try the 175gr. I now use the J/P 200gr with 3f and find it to be much more accurate, and points about the same as it did with a full load of 2f 45LC. I use the 45acp Hornady New Diminsion dies, the seat/crimp die is the same one used for 45LC if that's all you need. Now about that Marlin :huh: you know it needs to fitted with a nice new 44/40 barrel ;)

Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I load C45S, 45LC & 38SP with black powder on my Dillon 550, without using the powder measure. I put a Lee powder-thru expander die in place of the powder measure, then found a funnel at Dollar General that fit the opening of the expander die perfectly. Use the Lee dippers for powder. Pull the handle all the way down, let it sit, dip your powder, dump it in the funnel, raise the handle, press to prime & you are done! It is slower than loading smokeless, but it works & you only have to handle the cases once. I do use grits as a filler to cut down on powder used but that is easy with this system.

The Redding profile crimp die does a good job, I put one in my C45S toolhead recently.

Holler

I'm I correct that the subs - specifically Pyrodex - can be ran through powder measures?

There exists a Lyman 55 measure that is designed for black powder. I have an old Lyman 55 (not the clasic), I'm wondering if it can be updated to the classic model?

Archived