SASS Wire Forum

Lee loadmaster

Hoss

Got my press all set up, got powder, primers and bullets. Loaded my first 50 today, going to the range Friday to see if they all go boom!

I managed to break the chain 1/2 way thru. It seems to be a bit of a Rube Goldburg contraption. Any reason I can't replace it with a spring? (I think I saw a picture somewhere with one modified with a spring)

When I finished I took the powder hopper off, but forgot to close it first. Made a bit if a mess, I was able to pick most of it up, used a wet vac to get the last few flecks of powder. I put some water in the base of the vac, figured that would be better than using the house vac. Any problem with that? Or suggestions on how to pick up the powder that escapes. (I'm pretty sure I won't forget to close the hopper again!)

I had no problem with primer feed, but I did notice a very slight dent in about 1/2 of the seated primers. any thoughts on what causes that?

Lastly, thinking about a powder check die. Any thoughts?

Any and everything Lee Loadmaster is discussed at length on this site: http://www.loadmastervideos.com/ . As for the little "half moon" shape to some of the primers, it's discussed there. Broken chain, discussed there. Highly recommend this site.

Capt

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

Not too bad.

Duck tape may be needed to fix the powder hopper lid.

The dent on the primers is from powder on the primer seater. Not a problem.

You will be pleased for the most part.

I have a new one that has been sitting on my bench for two months still in the packing. I'll have to put together one of these days. It's just right for a small quantity of shells that I plan on shooting.

Pack

I highly recommend that you replace the existing chain operated powder measure with an Auto Disk Powder Measure.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537685/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure

It is already spring operated.

I used one for 15 years and never broke a chain. I used the chain with a spring attached to the return lever and the chain from the spring to the attaching hole on the ram. Nothing like a little springy-thingy!

Lafitte

HR,

A spring has substituted for the chain very effectively on my Load Master for almost 10 years and many thousands of rounds. Find a spring just strong enough to pull the lever down without over stretching the spring. The one I found was a little short, so I added a short length of loop chain for an extender and for adjustment if needed. I have yet to change the set up.

Rather than remove the powder measure, which could affect the adjustment of the belling of the case mouth I remove the entire die head (turret). Actually easier and less threading.

As for the dent in some of the primers you may check the depth adjustment. I will see this happen, but only once, maybe twice, out of 2 or 300 rounds.

I usually sweep up spilled powder with a wisk broom and dust pan, but I took a class on emergency response to terrorist activity and was amazed to find powder collected for evidence was vacuumed up with a shop vac. Being a reloader I had heard of several stories of blown vacuums and asked the instructor. His only comment was that they always used a new vacuum to prevent contamination of the evidence.

I have thought about a powder check die. Some one here on the wire suggested a mod that works very well and eliminated the need for me. Whittle a small notch in the powder measure body just above where the powder disc slides out, with good light above the loader you can see the powder charge just before it drops into the shell, and know if it is a full charge or not.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

HR,

A spring has substituted for the chain very effectively on my Load Master for almost 10 years and many thousands of rounds. Find a spring just strong enough to pull the lever down without over stretching the spring. The one I found was a little short, so I added a short length of loop chain for an extender and for adjustment if needed. I have yet to change the set up.

Rather than remove the powder measure, which could affect the adjustment of the belling of the case mouth I remove the entire die head (turret). Actually easier and less threading.

As for the dent in some of the primers you may check the depth adjustment. I will see this happen, but only once, maybe twice, out of 2 or 300 rounds.

I usually sweep up spilled powder with a wisk broom and dust pan, but I took a class on emergency response to terrorist activity and was amazed to find powder collected for evidence was vacuumed up with a shop vac. Being a reloader I had heard of several stories of blown vacuums and asked the instructor. His only comment was that they always used a new vacuum to prevent contamination of the evidence.

I have thought about a powder check die. Some one here on the wire suggested a mod that works very well and eliminated the need for me. Whittle a small notch in the powder measure body just above where the powder disc slides out, with good light above the loader you can see the powder charge just before it drops into the shell, and know if it is a full charge or not.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Smoke,

I like the idea of being able to visially see the powder. When you get a chance could you take a pic and email it to me at jrooney@brownwatermarine.com, or text to 361 386 0039. That sounds like a good idea, just have to figure out how to do it.

Hoss,

I am tech challenged. I could maybe text a photo. But, before you send a cell number over the net, let me try a better description.

If you were to put your finger on the opening of the powder disc just after the powder has dropped into the shell and then lowered the ram. the body of the powder measure will push your finger off the disc. This is where you want to work. Removing the powder measure at the two thumb screws makes it easier. I just now realized how you spilled the powder. I almost never remove the powder measure there.

That horizontal flange can be cut or filed away into the main body which is vertical at that point. I used a sander attachment on a dremmel and went part way into the main vertical body. the total cut is less than 1/8" probably closer to 1/16".

This small cut allows you to see the powder charge just before it drops.

If I have not described it well enough please feel free to PM a cell number and I will try a text photo.

Hope this clears it up,

Smoke

edited to add

Well if I had read your entire post more carefully I would have saved myself some typing. :lol: I will attempt a text photo shortly.

I started with this model. Loaded over 30,000 rounds before I finally saved money for my Dillion XL 650. The one thing I suggest is get extra part for primer feed. The little shuttle that moves the primer in place always got chewed up after 2000 rounds or so.

It was a good little reloader if you don't rush it and take your time.( about 200 rds an hour). Always had issues whenever I tried to go faster then that, and a powder check would be a great ideal for it. 38's and 45 acp it ran great and smooth. 45 longcolt would tend to wear on my arm and shoulder after about 600-800 rds.

As an update, contact Lee and ask for their new primer system. It is SOOO much better.

I've not had to change the primer slider since I got the new model.

And I don't have to clean out the primer area as often either.

Archived