SASS Wire Forum

Can you swap a 1892 44-40 for 45 Colt barrel?

Charlie Bison

I have a modern 1892 (USRAC) in 44-40 and want to shoot 45 Colt. Is a

barrel swap possible--and would any other parts need replaced?

I have an early 1900's 92 that started life as a .44-40 that someone swapped the barrel for a .44 Magnum. So, I would guess that it's possible. I don't know though if any internal parts need to be modified or exchanged. It might actually be cheaper to find a new made Rossi or other replica in .45 Colt than to modify your existing one.

Guest Jess Money

Will a .45 LC even fit in a .44-40 Cylinder. .44-40 is a tapered case, right? .45 is straight walled, right? What am I missing here?

A 44-40 will work in a 45 Colt rifle. We have a shooter that runs fire formed 44-40 cases loaded with 45 bullets in a Uberti 45 Henry. Helps with blow back.

Charlie,

Yes, a 45 barrel can be swapped in. With a couple of caviats. First is the thred pitch used by USRAC, second will be the head space. Then, I don't remember how USRAC locked the turn lever for the magazine. There will most likely be some machine work there. Tou may well have to change or shim the cartridge guides.

Finding a barrel with the shoulder, magazine hanger and other sundries machined in the right places will be difficult. While it sounds simple enough, it can get real expensive in a real hurry. You may actually find it cheaper to find another rifle.

Coffinmaker

I just swapped a 30-30 barrel from a win. 94 to a 38-55, but I know a couple gun smith that check my work to make sure I don't screw it up( and to ask advice from)

Archived