SASS Wire Forum

off road bicycle

Trigger Mike

Visit a good bicycle shop. You'll pay more, but you'll get good advice and a far better product than the "plumbing pipe" framed beasts that the uninformed staff at Wal Mart will sell you.

Visit a good bicycle shop. You'll pay more, but you'll get good advice and a far better product than the "plumbing pipe" framed beasts that the uninformed staff at Wal Mart will sell you.

Big + 1

+1 about visiting a bike shop. In the long run, you'll get more than the difference in cost from a discount store. Be sure to get a GOOD helmet to go with the bike and that it is worn every time the bike is ridden. If you develop a good relationship with your bike shop, just like your car dealership, you end up getting expert advice and often minor adjustments for free. If and when anything breaks, they can really take care of you where the discount stores can't.

+1 about visiting a bike shop. In the long run, you'll get more than the difference in cost from a discount store. Be sure to get a GOOD helmet to go with the bike and that it is worn every time the bike is ridden. If you develop a good relationship with your bike shop, just like your car dealership, you end up getting expert advice and often minor adjustments for free. If and when anything breaks, they can really take care of you where the discount stores can't.

Whut they said ^^^^^ :D

Yes yes YES take this advice!

Once worked with a fella who'd lost a friend. They were cycling, and stopped for traffic... when he'd almost completely stopped, the friend's front tire hit a pebble - he lost his balance, went over, and his head hit a curb. Died on the spot.

Had he been wearing his helmet, he would've grumped a few bad words, picked himself up, and been on his way. :(

Plus 1000 on the helmet. When I was still working before I retired I used to commute a few days on my bicycle. One day I was riding to work along a bicycle path and the next thing I knew I was being put in an ambulance. Got a grade three concussion and a little bleeding in the brain. My helmet, which I still have, was broken into five pieces. No fun spending three days in ICU. As to the original question, do go to a bicycle shop, not a department store and get a decent Mountain Bike. Even though it will cost more at the start, it will be made up by the feeling you got a decent bike, not a water pipe special.

That sounds close to the going price around here. I'm assuming a suspension front fork and a hard tail rear? I'm a fan of Giants, but you certainly can't go wrong with a Trek.

I have biked more than 100,000 miles, longest single ride was New Hampshire to Wisconsin in 15 days. Best 24 hour race was 332 miles.

I will agree, bike shop, helmet. All are good ideas. Do it

I have seen many who did not have a clue about how to wear a helmet. Make sure they wear it correctly.

Archived