SASS Wire Forum

California: Shoppers Buying Long Guns Prior to Registry Requirement

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

I hate any new restrictions on gun ownership, but really, I should go out and buy a bunch of new rifles? So I should worry about them tracking any new rifles I buy, they already know about the 150 pistols and registered "assault" rifles I have. I doubt this will put me on any new list, I bet I am already on every dang list they have. For all we know they ALREADY know about our old rifles. Look at what they do with cell phone and e-mails, tracking and keeping all of them without so much as a single vote from us as to the whether they should do it or not. I know a few guys who won't join the NRA or GOA or anything because they are afraid of getting on a "list". I say join everything and go out and vote and let them know we won't rollover for every cockamamie thing they come up with. And yes, I do put NRA stickers on ALL my vehicles.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/12/27/shoppers-stock-up-on-rifles-shotguns-before-california-long-gun-registry-begins/

Is it time for Californians to initiate a little citizen level nullification?

And just how would 'we', do that? :huh:

We already had a 10 day waiting period for both HG's and long.

LG

Think about it awhile Joe. How might you go about it? How do you think that might be accomplished?

The only thing I can think of for "citizen level nullification," other than voting the SsOBs out of office, would be individual sales not going through FFLs. Bringing suit against the State of California doesn't fit the concept of "nullification." And I'll not ask an FFL to give up his business and release guns without following CA law.

With a two thirds majority in the legislature more restrictive gun laws are inevitable in this state. I've dialed my fingers off, emailed and snail mailed state reps and they still pass these laws. Maybe Colonel Dan could let us know what were doing wrong out here.

Joe, You rang steel as I knew you would my friend.

Throughout history, whenever government control concerning the acquisition of anything became too onerous, there has been a recurring and natural reaction/response by the citizenry to establish an underground system of acquiring those items…be it food, clothing, fuel…guns or ammunition. It happened in the more modern USSR, during WWII and all throughout man’s history of living under the control of an imposing government.

If history is any guide, my guess is that it will also spring up in California. You’ll see increasingly more instances of people conducting gun and ammunition related transactions in a face to face manner and supplies privately imported from other states, by-passing onerous government laws, regulations and established systems. This “black market” or “underground economy” is what I euphemistically referred to as “citizen level nullification.”

Yul Lose: You're not doing anything wrong. What the people of California are doing is right in providing Sacramento with fair warning. The trouble is the current political atmosphere in Sacramento, is fueled by the modern form of arrogant liberalism. Again, using history as our guide, these condescending politicians who view themselves as omnipotently untouchable, will eventually go too far, push the wrong button and the people will "storm the Bastille" in some form putting an end to their "rule." Again, as history shows, such has been the course of man's history since Adam was named governor of Eden...unfortunately sad but inescapably true!

I have a friend in CA that is an avid shooter, not CAS but he's been at it for the fifty years I've known him. When we talk about onerous California gun laws he has to shrug and comply. But, he also mentions that of the people he shoots with some are law enforcement officers. They ignore a lot of the restrictions that State has brought about. I think maybe this is the real answer to the issue of overstepping government. If you can't get anyone to enforce the laws because they are b.s. then they are defacto neutralized.

Great idea, Colonel Dan. We'll just buy our guns out of the trunks of cars alongside the gang-bangers, paroled murderers, and drug addict B&E guys.

I gotta tell ya, Newt, that the thought has crossed my mind a time or two. "Why the bloody hell should "I" have to jump through hoops to exercise "MY" civil rights when the thugs can just go to Handy Jacks Traveling Gun and Drug Shoppe, hours midnight to 3 a.m. location varies?" AND pay retail prices to boot!

Then I answer myself, "Because sure as hell if I tried to do that, I'd end up buying from a BATFE sting, and I don't want Bubba for a husband."

It's doubtful the BATF and their boss would let us get away with it, after all we aren't Fast And Furious.

Keep in mind that private sales of firearms in California is highly illegal. Not that I'm not there in spirit, mind you, but the risks are tremendous.

Like Yul sez... those of us in the trenches work diligently - and all too often fruitlessly - to protect our rights and way of life. But the reality is we are woefully outnumbered... and when we get beyond "preaching to the choir" trying to convince the population-at-large is like trying to market Honey Baked Hams in Baghdad.

So we hope - and work - for the best; but honestly, most of us here expect - and try to prepare for - the worse. 'Tis the nature of the beast... which is how I've come to regard the bear on our state flag... a grizzly indeed, devouring our rights as he marches toward the left. :angry:

Archived