SASS Wire Forum

You might be a cowboy shooter if...

Hawkeye Gin

You find yourself logging in and posting to the Sass Wire on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.........................

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Maker-Wright

You have 3 guncarts inside your house, two of which are no longer used for CAS, but are permanent furniture in your living room... one is a coat rack, and the other is a couch side-table that holds all A/V remote controls (this actually is the case in my home)

You have a small house, and the most well-organized, nicest-looking room in the house is decorated and dedicated to nothing but caring for cowboy guns, and Cowboy Shooting sports (yep, that's where I live).

when one bedroom is dedicated as a reloading room.

when one closet and 2 trunks in the basement are dedicated for reloading supplies.

...........Widder

Yep... When you come to the realization that a guest room may get used a few times a year... But a well lit, heated and cooled GUN ROOM will get used every week! :D

When you build an addition onto your house so you can INCREASE the size of your gunroom!

JEL

I have another video in the works and it's going to require some assistance from the SASS community. The topic is "You might be a cowboy shooter if..." and each phrase will be followed by a video clip acting it out.

1. If you think the Pledge of Allegiance ends with "Yeehaw!"

2. If you walk around your house wearing your rig and dry firing.

3. If you don't know some of your closest friends' actual names.

4. If words and phrases like "Dillon 650, rig, '97, procedural, short stroke, staging, transitions, target placement, knockdowns, calibration, and front sight" are part of everyday conversation.

5. If you have more corsets or pairs of suspenders than modern clothes.

6. If your brand names for clothing include "Frontier Classics" and "Wahmaker."

7. If you're unable to make any gatherings with family (or sorely neglected non-SASS friends) on the weekends because of matches.

8. If you pose for your senior or family pictures with your match guns.

9. If the only vacations you go on are planned around out-of-state matches.

10. If the following conversation makes sense to you: (I'll have some of our gunsmiths in deep conversation)

11. If your newborn had his/her alias almost as soon as an actual name.

12. If the value of the shooting equipment in your vehicle exceeds the value of your vehicle.

13. If everyday chores are completed with transitions in mind.

14. If you find all of your other hobbies and chores are neglected.

15. If your calendar is kept by which Saturday of the month it is.

16. If your favorite fragrances include burnt gunpowder, Hoppe's No. 9, Ballistol, leather, etc.

17. If you see people in public places wearing civilian clothes and you think, "Dang, they're dressed funny."

18. If you're used to being stared at in public places and having people ask "Are you in a band?" or "Are you actors?"

This is what we have so far, but I'd love suggestions. Be creative everyone. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Guilty on all charges!!! :D:P:D

Cheatin'

You've been co-writing a story about life in the 1870s in the saloon for over a year, with no intention of ending it soon and you can't wait to meet the other writer...

ie The Dreams of the Golden Aspen Ranch!

When you build an addition onto your house so you can INCREASE the size of your gunroom!

JEL

I have it all drawn out with a wrap around to the main bathroom. OK guys, this is getting bad. Dang it! Left a ring from my drink glass on my gun cart! Wife needs to put some Western style coasters in here.

When you have more western movie sound tracks in your truck than regular cd's.

1. The Good The Bad and The Ugly
  2. Fist Full of Dollars
  3. For a Few Dollars More
  4. Young Guns 2
  5. Appaloosa
  6. 3:10 To Yuma
  7. The Quick and The Dead
  8. Tombstone
  9. The Magnificent Seven

Just to name a few. :D

Cheatin'

When you constantly try to improve your transitions no matter what you're doing.....pumping gas......taking out the garbage......etc

Stan - who's a little freaked out by Wyatt thinking so hard about his happy bag.

Putting away the dishes is the best.

Movement, transitions.

No breaking the shot though...break too much stemware that way.

Don't be freaked out. Wyatt's just jealous he can't have any "happy" outta the bag.

I usually just drink his share for him.

Course, Wyatt's just a naturally HAPPY guy anyhow. :rolleyes:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

When your new vid cam will fit on your hat!

when you suggest to your spouse that the two of you should consider buying the house next door to your gunsmith when it came up for sale to save yourselves travel time and gas money.....

(yes, this is a true story, but no we didn't buy it)

if after you shoot a stage you keep going over to the scorekeeper to see how your time compares to everybody on the posse.

if civilians tell you they have a friend that shoots cowboy and you don't know their real name and they don't their cowboy alias

Wyatt - who had to hang up the "The Drinking Happy Bag" a few years ago but not the bad puns about other "Happy Bags" ;)

PS: Waimea, you crack me up :lol:

if after you shoot a stage you keep going over to the scorekeeper to see how your time compares to everybody on the posse.

I usually just check to see how badly my "grasshopper" is kicking my tail these days.

^_^

if civilians tell you they have a friend that shoots cowboy and you don't know their real name and they don't their cowboy alias.

Too true! Mentioned shooting in a conversation with my urologist...he asked, "Cowboy Action?" & said his Dad had been doing this for a few years "back home in Georgia".

Didn't have a clue what his alias was...I sent inquiries to some of the GA clubs re: his "real" name, but haven't received any replies (yet)

if you live in AZ and refer to your CCW card as a "Frequent Buyer Card"....

you buy pistolas in pairs...

to the uninformed, an assault weapon is a Winchester 1873...

during the recent NFR in Vegas you needed a drink after finding out Colt suspended taking orders due to too many orders...

the thought of a new Henry 1860 rifle being made in the US is really big news.... and lastly

if you've ever told your spouse that guns left unattended for more than 30 days in the gun safe really do germinate!

I usually just check to see how badly my "grasshopper" is kicking my tail these days.

^_^

if civilians tell you they have a friend that shoots cowboy and you don't know their real name and they don't their cowboy alias.

Too true! Mentioned shooting in a conversation with my urologist...he asked, "Cowboy Action?" & said his Dad had been doing this for a few years "back home in Georgia".

Didn't have a clue what his alias was...I sent inquiries to some of the GA clubs re: his "real" name, but haven't received any replies (yet)

PM me the name and I'll see if I can help with an alias.

If the towels in your bathroom say "cowboy" and "cowgirl"

If your email address uses your SASS alias

If your Christmas tree is loaded with cowboy ornaments...

Does it count if my email address includes my Alias and preference in hand guns? (Noz1860 @.....)

When you walk into a gun store you haven't visited in a while you look for the section of double barrel shotguns and then look at all of the trigger guards looking for a single trigger in hopes you'll find an unmolested SKB.

I had a pard here in Georgia (Dirty Dan Dawkins) that told me about one at a gun shop close to my house. The next day I went to the gun shop early in the morning and sure enough right there in the double barrel section was an unmolested SKB 100. I got that gun for several hundred dollars less than what it would have been priced here on the Wire.

When it's time for a new car, you have to make sure it is cowboy friendly, ie large enough trunk or rear for guncarts, guns, other riders, etc.

+1 looking at new cars today with the cowboy space in mind.

- When you file down your trigger fingernail so that it won't hit the trigger guard when levering your Marlin, avoiding breaking your nail.

- When you file down your thumb nail to avoid breakage when reloading your '73.

when you find out some new cowboy smithing secrets and you get more excited over that info than you got excited over Christmas presents.

Yes this is an extreme answer but...when you get into a car accident where air bags deploy and flying glass slices your 16 year old daughter's finger (needed 7 stitches) and the first thing she says while crying is "Mom, it's not my trigger finger" which she repeated several times to the firemen, EMTs, and doctors.

Archived