SASS Wire Forum

thought all lever ammo had to be flat point

Trigger Mike

Hornady is selling these pointed rounds called leverolution for lever rifles. I had heard you had to use flat point to avoid striking rounds in the tube magazine. I assume Hornady would not sell these if that were always true. have I heard wrong?

I have used roundnose bullets in a .33WCF M1886 without any problems (max. magazine capacity was 5 rounds), at least until Hornady came out with their flat point jacketed softpoints. I would assume Hornady has thoroughly tested their ammo. To not do so would be opening them up to lawsuits galore! But they claim their design and new materials prevents AD's in tubular magazine rifles. OTOH, I believe I will contine to use flat point ammo.

Merry Christmas everybody!

For what we do and with conventional munitions, flat point should be used. As noted above, "Leverloution" has a soft squishey nose that is aerodynamic but wont pop a primer in a tube magazine.

Coffinmaker

I lucked into a box of the LeverEvolution bullets and a can of LeverEvolution powder at our local reloading store. I REALLY like them. It turns the old .30-30 into a true 250 yard rifle. I personally wouldn't shoot at a deer at that range with open sights, because I'm just not that good of a shot, but for a true marksman it would be no big deal.

Not mentioned yet is that the LeveRevolution bass is much shorter than standard brass and can be a problem if reloaded with normal brass in a press without adjusting. The shorter case is a necessity because of the LeveRevolution's sharper bullet profile and longer length. To keep the junction of the bullet's ogive and the cylindrical body above the case mount at maximum cartridge OAL, the case must be shorter. The 44Mag and 45 Colt are about .030" shorter and the 45-70 runs about .060" shorter.

The case length is just once of those nuisance things to watch out for just like the stupid 45 ACP cases that use small primers instead of the normal large pistol primers.

Hornady is selling these pointed rounds called leverolution for lever rifles. I had heard you had to use flat point to avoid striking rounds in the tube magazine. I assume Hornady would not sell these if that were always true. have I heard wrong?

I heard it was unsafe to drink from a garden hose too.

Not mentioned yet is that the LeveRevolution bass is much shorter than standard brass and can be a problem if reloaded with normal brass in a press without adjusting. The shorter case is a necessity because of the LeveRevolution's sharper bullet profile and longer length. To keep the junction of the bullet's ogive and the cylindrical body above the case mount at maximum cartridge OAL, the case must be shorter. The 44Mag and 45 Colt are about .030" shorter and the 45-70 runs about .060" shorter.

The case length is just once of those nuisance things to watch out for just like the stupid 45 ACP cases that use small primers instead of the normal large pistol primers.

I've heard that for .45-70. They worked fine in my once fired .30-30 brass. Just seated them to the crimp ring and gave 'em a good crimp.

Also not mentioned is an old and proven technique of using spire-pointed bullets in your .30-30 and loading one in the chamber and one in the mag for hunting. If'n you need than one shot, you should have extra in your pocket.

(Disclaimer: This does require the IQ to not load than one in the mag.)

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

The brass is shorter?? Is the headstamp still the same?

I don't have a box on hand to check.

Much obliged,

Mustang

Archived