SASS Wire Forum

Yep...Background checks work.

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/28/33-Year-CA-Highway-Patrol-Vet-Current-Sheriff-Denied-Gun-Purchase-Via-Background-Check

When Siskiyou County, CA Sheriff John Lopey tried to buy an M1
Garand rifle through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), he was
denied and told he failed to pass the background check conducted via the
National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

Lopey is a sheriff: he carries a gun and enforces the law for a
living. Prior to being a sheriff, he spent 33 years with the California
Highway Patrol and is a retired Army Colonel. He had Top Secret
clearance in the Army.

The FBI handles NICS background checks for firearms purchases.
Ironically, Lopey recently went through and passed a background check to
attend the FBI national academy.

On November 27th, Lars Larson interviewed Lopey
about this situation; Lopey said he did in fact receive a letter from
CMP and the FBI telling him he had failed to pass the NICS background
check and that the money he had paid for the rifle was being refunded.
Astounded by the rejection, he called the FBI/NICS only to be told "it
could be some identity theft issue."

Lopey then asked how it was possible that he had passed background
checks for firearm purchases within the last year and no answer was
given.

Sheriff Lopey said he does not meet any criteria for a purchase
rejection. He has a "stellar" law enforcement record, he's never been
arrested, never had PTSD, never used illicit drugs, and "never been
counseled for mental health care reasons."

In the end, Lopey's only option is to appeal his failed background
check and wait for better news. He has already filed his appeal, which
included having his own records clerk in his own sheriff's office put
together a file on him with new fingerprint cards.

Somebody entered something wrong somewhere.

By and large, background checks are accurate. Should be interesting to see how this shakes out.

It happens all the time especially with common names but a simple typo or garbled phone connection can trigger a mistake. It has happened to me and I was cleared as a part of the presidential protection detail and carried a commission as a US Deputy Marshall.

Sounds like it's not exactly uncommon to fail people who should pass.

So wonder how often people pass when they shouldn't? Bet the ones that pass and shouldn't have keep quiet about it.

Seems like it would happen both ways equally. That's comforting.

I was having the same problem several years ago. I wouldn't get turned down but there was an extended wait time while they checked a little closer. I guess somebody with my name escaped from a mental hospital somewhere. Anyhow, I got a carry permit and now I just show that and I'm done. I think the background checks have gotten much more efficient in the last few years and work like they are suppose to most of the time.

It took me 3 months to straighten out a mistake with insurance. I had bills from my prostate cancer not being paid because some idiot checked that I was female instead of male. Must have called about 10 different people before I finally got someone to change it.

Even offered to come and drop my draws to show em I was male.

I was having the same problem several years ago. I wouldn't get turned down but there was an extended wait time while they checked a little closer. I guess somebody with my name escaped from a mental hospital somewhere. Anyhow, I got a carry permit and now I just show that and I'm done. I think the background checks have gotten much more efficient in the last few years and work like they are suppose to most of the time.

Well now hold your horses here.....I happen to personally know the "subject" and can vouch for the mental hospital diagnosis :D :D

Joyeux Noël,

Kajun

It took me 3 months to straighten out a mistake with insurance. I had bills from my prostate cancer not being paid because some idiot checked that I was female instead of male. Must have called about 10 different people before I finally got someone to change it.

Even offered to come and drop my draws to show em I was male.

Oh PLEASE, NO!

Just hope you are never denied on a background check. It took me three months and all my Congressmen to get my rights re-instituted. Having a Top Secret clearance and being a Special Forces officer, I have had many background checks. When I was denied, all I received from the BATF was a form letter stating "You have been denied for one of the following reasons: You are a convicted felon. You have been adjudicated mentally ill" ...and so on down the form 4473. I never did receive a clear answer as to why I was denied. After three months of phone calls to Congressmen (Congressional involvement on your behalf is the only way to solve this issue) I finally received a letter saying my 4473 was approved. As a disabled veteran and honorably discharged service member this is the greatest slap in the face I have ever received. Lying paralyzed, for months in FitzSimmons Army medical center, not knowing if I would ever walk again, was nothing compared to the mental anguish I endured from the three month arbitrary suspension of my 2nd Amendment rights.

You also find out where your Congressmen stand. One was instrumental in clearing this up. The other said it wasn't his problem. The only thing you can do to protect yourself is either get your own FFL (at least a C&R), and get a concealed handgun license. The most useful part of my CHL here in Texas is that it satisfies the background check for the 4473.

Here in Oregon the state is greedy for the $10 to the State Police on the background check, so our permit won't help in a purchase. It did at one time, but no longer.

When dealing with the government, and government computer systems in partcular, mistakes will be made. Not just with NICS checks, but Social Security, Veterans Affairs, etc. A sympathetic legislator is sometimes your best and only solution.

When dealing with the government, and government computer systems in partcular, mistakes will be made. Not just with NICS checks, but Social Security, Veterans Affairs, etc. A sympathetic legislator is sometimes your best and only solution.

Unfortunately, Washington State doesn't have very many. And forget about the Senators.

Well now hold your horses here.....I happen to personally know the "subject" and can vouch for the mental hospital diagnosis :D :D

Joyeux Noël,

Kajun

Careful there Kajun. I'll have you put on a terrorist watch list.

Perhaps they're beginning to subscribe to Homeland Security's Veterans = Terrorists philosophy.

Now on the other hand, Siskiyou County is a danged neat place! :) Terrific hunting and fishing...!! ^_^

Archived