SASS Wire Forum

Vintage Winchester 1892, 38-40 Back In Service!

Rancho Roy

I spent a snowbound day in the shop renovating an old 1892 Winchester in 38-40 that I picked up a while ago for cheap money.

A few new parts, a barrel reline, all nice new screws and a forearm repair. Wasn't feeding or ejecting when I started.......Now it runs beautifully!

Can't wait to take it out to the range and shoot it!

I wrote a little article with pictures on my web site.

Hope you enjoy it!

www.rvbprecision.com

I have several old Winchesters that I shoot in CAS. My 1892 rifle in .38-40 is my favorite rifle for any use: CAS, plinking, hunting, varmints, etc..

I read your article about reviving an 1873 that you bought as a barreled action. I am doing the same. Where did you find action parts like links and a finger lever? This is not a restoration project so I am willing to use Uberti parts if they fit. The modern metals will likely stand up to hard use more than the 100+ year old iron parts.

Thanks for the kind words fellas! But I'm not a machinist, just a totally out of control gun nut! I love working on them as much (maybe more) than I like shooting them!

Tom, My 1873 wasn't from a barreled action. I had the whole rifle in very good condition except for the bore. Seems whomever owned it 123 years ago wiped down the outside regularly but didn't attend to the bore. A good cleaning and a reline of the bore was all that was necessary with the 1873. This 1892 was a real basket case. I actually thought about parting it out. But I just couldn't bring myself to lowering the inventory of these fine old guns by one!

Archived