SASS Wire Forum

Put a "port" in your bullet puller

Rancho Roy

I use a Quinetics "impact" hammer type bullet puller and I hate having to screw the cap off every time I want to empty the powder and removed bullet.

So I cut a port into the side of the puller and it works like a dream!

I put a few pictures of the modification on my web site if you are interested....

www.rvbprecision.com

Have you ever loaded a whole 50 rack of cartridges, single stage, and forgot to put the powder in????..............Me neather! :wacko:

Recently I've been working on a Spencer in 44-40 and needed to try different bullets in dummy cartridges for best feeding. This required me to pull a few bullets here and there............

Have you ever loaded a whole 50 rack of cartridges, single stage, and forgot to put the powder in????..............Me neather! :wacko:

Recently I've been working on a Spencer in 44-40 and needed to try different bullets in dummy cartridges for best feeding. This required me to pull a few bullets here and there............

Those that have and those that will.....how bout loading 50 then dumping them in a holding bucket loading 50 more and dumping them in the same bucket only to realize the last patch you forgot the powder. DANG!!!

Those that have and those that will.....how bout loading 50 then dumping them in a holding bucket loading 50 more and dumping them in the same bucket only to realize the last patch you forgot the powder. DANG!!!

Been there, done that! Trick an old reloader taught me was to take each cartridge, place it bullet first in my powder funnel, shake it wide funnel side facing my ear. Even with my poor hearing I can hear the 3 to 4 grains of powder rattling around in the loaded rounds. No sound, pull the bullet.

Been there, done that! Trick an old reloader taught me was to take each cartridge, place it bullet first in my powder funnel, shake it wide funnel side facing my ear. Even with my poor hearing I can hear the 3 to 4 grains of powder rattling around in the loaded rounds. No sound, pull the bullet.

Cool! Like Ole Bloodbath McGrath.....

bloodbath_zps5119d46e.jpg

Those that have and those that will.....how bout loading 50 then dumping

them in a holding bucket loading 50 more and dumping them in the same

bucket only to realize the last patch you forgot the powder. DANG!!!

That's why God invented digital scales. I had 50 rounds with no powder mixed in with fully loaded rounds. I found all 50 as they were exactly 5.5g lighter than the fully loaded rounds....I knew there were only 50, and sure enough, when I pulled them apart I had found all of them............

Now imagine the loads are full cases of black powder that a shake of the shell tells you absolutely not a thing. I think we've all been there at least once (some of us seem not to learn too quickly either) I forgot how many woopsie's I've done over the years. Smithy.

they were exactly 5.5g lighter than the fully loaded rounds....

Roy, I'll believe close to 5.5grs but not exactly. No 2 brass cases weigh the same and if you can buy or cast a lot of bullets that are exactly the same weight ... Send me PM! ;)

I have a bucket of screwups. It gets pretty full before I take to the task of pulling the bullets. I just do 5 or 6 at a time (one right after another) then unscrew and dump the contents. The powders are all mixed so I save it in a can for July 4th. It is a tedious task no matter what way you do it.

Roy, I'll believe close to 5.5grs but not exactly. No 2 brass cases weigh the same and if you can buy or cast a lot of bullets that are exactly the same weight ... Send me PM! ;)

I've also noticed a wide variation in loaded cartridge weights even though I have carefully measured the exact amount of powder in each....

And cool idea on the bullet puller. I pulled a lot of bullets at first ...a lot less now

• 1 month later...

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

My Kinetics has a hole in the side to dump powder and bullets.

I've never had to use it though.

Mustang Gregg

Don't you still have to unscrew the cap to get the shell casing out?

Case should just pull out of the back of the puller. Might have to "lift" it a touch with a small screwdriver or a thumb nail to get a grip on the rim, then just pull.

Anybody think of this..

I have. It does work, BUT. When you put a cartridge in the shell holder, there is enough "slop" in the shell holder that it (the cartridge) can seat in a way where the very edge of the primer is covered by the edge of the hole in the shell holder. Its just the very, very edge. No problem unless you happen to have a high primer and it comes in contact with the edge of that hole. Banging the bullet puller might cause enough of an impact to set the primer off. Don't know if its ever happened, but if I use the shell holder method, I make sure the primer is viewable in the center of the shell holder hole when I tighten the cap down.

Been there, done that. The cartridge is often loose in the shell plate and you still have to unscrew the cap to get the shell out. Doesn't save any time.

Archived