SASS Wire Forum

Anyone have a Filson wool vest ?

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Am looking at the Filson wool vests online and they look like they would be real nice for winter time shoots. Since I would be buying sight unseen anybody own one and comment on quality?

Am looking at the Filson wool vests online and they look like they would be real nice for winter time shoots. Since I would be buying sight unseen anybody own one and comment on quality?

Hay Deuce I have a Wyoming Territory Vest .

Its wool and Just about the same as the Filson Vest .

Grey with Pockets our size LOL :P

You are welcome to it for the winter .

I dont shoot to much in the winter snow.

Filson is real hard to beat. Warm and tough. A notch or two above Woolrich wool garments.

Good luck, GJ

I have both a jacket and a vest and look them. The only thing I would say is that because the vest does not come up to the neck in front and is sleeveless, it does not provide nearly the warmth that the jacket does.

I wish they would make the western vest and western shirts in the tall sizes.

Filson is good stuff, I use their sox in my packers, and have a regular wool shirt I use for hunting and XC sking.

Filson products are top of the line as far as quality and made in the good ol' USA; you may also want to check out Schaefer Ranch Wear at SchaeferRanchwear.com...I have several of their vest including a real quality wool vest. Some of their vest come in Tall sizes.

Ned

Deuce,

I have the Filson Mackinaw Wool Western vest, http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw-wool-western-vest.10057.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/vests-liners&fmetaProduct=1011.

I have had it for over 20 years and it still looks like new. It was a layered garment I used quail hunting and now I wear it for CAS.

It is warm and looks great.

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

I have a Filson vest as well. I really like mine and rumor has it that Santa may bring me another. :)

Personally I can not wear wool. I itch thinking about it. But I have a couple of friends that work cattle that love them, long lasting and tough. I itch thinking about you wearing it.

I have a couple of them and wear them for matches and everyday wear. Very good quality and warm.

Duece ; Check out the Schaefer Outfitters vests they are wool have a collar and are US made I have 2 of them and like them better than Filson .

Woodfox

Filson products are good,,,,,, very good,, excellent, but pricey.

I have two vest and three of their (filson) wool coats.. All will still be good/excellent and very functional well past my life time. The oldest garmet (my late fathers) is already 30 years old and you can not tell it.

There are other brands of wool outerwear that are probably equally good (woolrich and probably made out of same wool stock) and cost a whole lot less....BUT!!!! Filson has tradition (startup of company 1897!!!!!),,, and that is part of the why it cost more!!! Either you buy into tradition,,,,, or you don't!!! either you purchase something for life,,, or you are satisfied with a throw away.

White Boot Company is another USA company that has great quality products,,, a rich history,,,, top quality,,,, wonderful tradition,, but, cost significantly more than those japanese/chinese/fureign boots/booties/thingy's that get the job done,,, equallly well. If you wear White Boots to a shoot,,,, you give up speed in foot work because the boot is heavier/more durable/more period correct.... but slower to pick up and put down from shooting position to next window.

Just my opinion.

Blastmaster

edit!!! I can not tell you how may pairs of brand XXXX boots I have worn out, a pair about every two years... I now have three pair of White boots,,,,, two Cowboy Packers(one pair in brown & one pair in black) and one Steel toe work boot (5 day/wk) that will be with me for the rest of my life.

Two Filson vests and one Filson tin cup hat. They are not inexpensive but their quality is unbeatable. And, their warranty is unbeatable as well. They do not continue to meet your expectations for quality, send them back and out come a new replacement. My tin cup hat has been replaced twice because it continues to shrink. How can I help it has been blown off my head into rivers from Colorado to Idaho for over 25 years and fails to hold up. I send it back and they send me another. You will not be disappointed. Idaho Sagerider

Yes Sir. Very nice 100% Virgin Wool and made in USA, however I have had mine for 10-15 years so do not know if those characteristics are still valid.

Don't forget Brother King's "King of the Mountain" wears.

bb

Duece,

The only negative I could think of about the Filson vest for shooting is that there is a large panel on each front side that incorporates a lower hand pocket, but also a higher pocket. The extra material of the panel is good for more warmth and the hand pocket is good to warm hands however the upper pocket could possible catch long gun stock as it comes off shoulder. It does lay flat and tigt to vest so I don't think it would be problem on shooting shoulder, but that is possibility. The shooting side upper pocket could be sewed if needed but it is not floppy or loose so may nt cause any problem. A very nice vest and therw is no back side belt to hang on gun/shotgun belt. Nice and warm and not to heavy.

bb

Yes Sir. Very nice 100% Virgin Wool and made in USA, however I have had mine for 10-15 years so do not know if those characteristics are still valid.

Don't forget Brother King's "King of the Mountain" wears.

bb

Brother King's stuff is very good. A friend owns a complete set for bow hunting and I envied him every time we went out.

:ph34r: I have 4 Filsons-- 2 western, a whipcord and a collarless version. For winter shoots I prefer the western style for the high collar and the HEAVY 24oz

wool. These are fully wool constructed all the way around-- no satin back/wool front. And the wool is thick and dense. I can take off my heavy outer coat and be comfortable at the loading table and thru the stage.

The pockets have not been a problem for me RE: long gun use. I have other vests by Orvis, Wah, LLBean, but the Filson's are the best of them.

As I perceive you enjoy quality equipment, I know you would be well served by their product.

Good luck on the project. Perhaps Santa will see this thread.....

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll be getting one for Christmas. An ol' pard I have not talked too in awhile called yesterday and he is going to send me a couple different styles to try before I buy kinda deal.

Archived