SASS Wire Forum

Stage Point Scoring

Most Wanted

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a plan, I tell you! not only a plan, but a dern good plan! A plan I say that everybody can unnerstand! Yes, I tell you I have a dern good easily unnerstood plan, a plan I tell you that is good for the masses, yes sir. A plan that will make you say, why oh why did I ever pay for that other plan that is hard to unnerstand and keeps people in the dark, in the dark I say!

Yas sir, a gud plan!!!! simple too, why even I can unnerstand it!! all u do is add up the time and wha la!!! and I kin even add too!!!

I look at Stage Point Scoring as a big improvement over Overall Rank Points (As used at Winter Range and EOT). And it is a huge improvement over Rank Points by Category which allows a major screw up to go relatively unnoticed if the shooter is at the top of that category.

I ran a spread sheet using total time against Stage Points on our State match from last years on a few close categories. It did change the results of a few shooters from the Total Time Scoring used at the Match.

At least Stage Point Scoring keeps the scoring in the category and does not pit the Frontier Cartridge Duelist against the speed demon Wranglers et al.

I look at Stage Point Scoring as a big improvement over Overall Rank Points (As used at Winter Range and EOT). And it is a huge improvement over Rank Points by Category which allows a major screw up to go relatively unnoticed if the shooter is at the top of that category.

I ran a spread sheet using total time against Stage Points on our State match from last years on a few close categories. It did change the results of a few shooters from the Total Time Scoring used at the Match.

At least Stage Point Scoring keeps the scoring in the category and does not pit the Frontier Cartridge Duelist against the speed demon Wranglers et al.

What kind of screw up?

what's next, handicapping ?

points for age,

points for shooting style,

points for gender,

points for stock guns.

as phantom would say, ooooooooooooooooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I would say yer list ain't long enough...

They handicap golf and trap, why not SASS?

Points for spurs

Points for fancy boots

Points for hairstyle

Points for caliber (Bigger boolit, bigger points)

Points for style (Whoopin, hollerin, grinnin, using funky guns or clothes

If'n we put our heads together, why by golly I betcha we could have us a whole PAGE of handicaps!

I seen me a mermaid once...

I even seen a shark eat a octopus...

But I ain't never seen me no phantom Russian submarine....

Good movie!!

I've shot USPSA (IPSC) matches under stage point scoring. They've got several extra factors to consider than we do, such as scoring differences between Major and Minor power factors, and the different scoring rings on the targets, etc. By the time you convert time and points into hit factor, and then convert hit factor into stage points, you've got quite a complex, although with the help of electronic scoring and computers, workable, scoring system.

Part of what makes it work, though, is that the various divisions are ONLY scored within themselves, and NOT against each other. This is so the $500 Glock or 8 round 1911, or 6 round revolver aren't competing against the $3500 scoped and compensated marvels of modern gun smithing that live in the Open Division. Makes sense, right?

Except some clubs will also post, unofficially, the combined totals. What's wrong with that, you ask? After all, it's intensely satisfying to find out that you beat even one Open shooter with a 1911 or revolver, right?

Well, the problem is that as soon as you start using two different data sets, you're going to start getting two different sets of results. At the last match I shot, there were two of us shooting in the Single Stack (1911) Division. In the official, divisional results, he won. In the unofficial overalls, though, I did.

So who won? In USPSA, the answer's easy. He did. The overalls don't count.

Now, you bring this system over to SASS, where the overalls do very much count. Where, in fact, the overalls are often the main event, as all the different age groups and genders and slightly different styles meet up and see who won.

Real soon, if you score categories separately, and overalls together, you're going to start getting different results. That's gonna really annoy the guy who comes in second in his category, but ahead in the overalls. It's gonna be a mess when someone wins a match but loses his category, that way. It's gonna be a huge, scandalous mess when the National or World Championship comes out topsy turvy.

If you hand a World Champion buckle and second place category buckle to the same person, how will the category winner feel? Didn't he beat that guy? Isn't he the real Champion?

The whole point of a scoring system is to answer the question "Who won?" If it can't do that, then it's dysfunctional.

Then too, it also fails in its stated goal of making different COFs worth more or less, according to their difficulty. It just counts shots. A 10-10-4 dump stage, with no movement and the targets in your face is worth the exact same 240 points as a 10-10-4 track and field event, with targets and shooting positions scattered hither and yon.

kind of sounds like the rank point by category that was being pushed several years ago.....

I have read all the posts.

I have not seen posted the problem that Stage Point Scoring is solving.

Can anyone identify the problem ???

Shush! Don't tell anyone I posted this... ;)

The problem is that we are not using Total Time Scoring. :ph34r:

Disclaimer: I am not a spokesperson for anyone or any group with this opinion. :)

Regards,

Allie Mo

I have read all the posts.

I have not seen posted the problem that Stage Point Scoring is solving.

Can anyone identify the problem ???

I always thought the reason for not using total time scoring is that contestants can determine who likely won before awards were given and then fewer folks show up for awards.

Total Time and Rank Points are two different (but similar) games played with the same basic equipment and rules, in which the shooter employes different strategies to obtain the best score. It would seem a continuous posting of points earned in Stage Point Scoring would be needed for the shooter to employ an effective strategy to prevail in the shooters Category.

Cockroach,

Some MAY use different strategies, depending on scoring system. but I'm willing to bet the VAST majority DO NOT. I know I don't.

My strategy is rat-simple: Hit all the targets as fast as I can.

Possum

What Possum said!!! usually all out, better be focused or it aint' gonna be pretty!

HOWDY ; I like any system that keeps my category of shooter separate from other category

But I think you may be surprised by the results. I haven't studied the new system in depth, so time will tell. . .

Your statement is a common sentiment, but it shows a misunderstanding and weakness of scoring systems. Unless you have a large sample, most rank type systems do not work very well for measurement. So limiting it to one category will often have more problems - not fewer.

PS;

Hitting all the targets as fast as you can is a good strategy for the Total Time game.

In a Rank Point game doing that is fine for a long complex stage, where a miss will have less impact on the shooter's Rank Points. But in a short, stand and deliver, stage - that approach has a higher probability (with a miss) of costing the shooter a very large number of Rank Points. So in a Rank Points game, I slow down on such a stage. As others have said, a miss on a fast stage is more costly than a miss on a longer stage. All misses are not equal, as they are in a Total Time game. Some call that unfair. it is not unfair, it is just a different game.

I play both games, but, I do play them slightly different.

So now we have yet another scoring system to deal with?!?!?!

Great!

For what reason?

Total Time and/or Rank Points wasn't enough?

I've won and lost based on both systems and don't see the need for yet ANOTHER scoring system.

This new system benefits who?

And just what IS the benefit?

Complications!

Whoever came up with this idea just wants to complicate things more.

It is my belief that our sport just doesn't need it!

If you look back at the way scoring has evolved in the complete alphabet soup of shooting games there is an uncanny similarity throughout.

They start as a manly game of heads up, run-what-ya-brung, winner take all events then slowly, carefully, fairly, they become T-ball. Everyone is a champion, no one is a winner.

Simplicity trumps complexity every time. If what you want to do is find an overall best then use total time. If what you want to do is find many "bests" they are distributed through out the time placement.

Anything else is T-ball.

Olen

If you look back at the way scoring has evolved in the complete alphabet soup of shooting games there is an uncanny similarity throughout.

They start as a manly game of heads up, run-what-ya-brung, winner take all events then slowly, carefully, fairly, they become T-ball. Everyone is a champion, no one is a winner.

Simplicity trumps complexity every time. If what you want to do is find an overall best then use total time. If what you want to do is find many "bests" they are distributed through out the time placement.

Anything else is T-ball.

Olen

Total Time. Each Cats. fastest shooter wins...

Each Cat winner gets the big Trophy.. Period!!!!!

Oh, side note, so and so was fastest time of entire match. Give em a pic frame -w- a piece of paper.. Being as so and so already won their Cat, and got a big trophy..

Everyone shoots agin only their own Cat. for total time period..

You get a miss, a penalty, a P, MS, SD.. Whatever, its total time, you pay the price..

Simple, straight forward. easy to figger, and unforgiving, can't turn back real time!!!!

Unless ya got a WidderMatic Marlin, they run so fast you might just be able to turn back some time...

Kinda like T-Ball every Cat. has a Big Winner...

Spades H. Gonna shoot what they say I gotta just as fast as I can!!!! Period..HEEEHEEEHEEE

Cockroach,

Some MAY use different strategies, depending on scoring system. but I'm willing to bet the VAST majority DO NOT. I know I don't.

My strategy is rat-simple: Hit all the targets as fast as I can.

Possum

I didn't know there was any other way.

If you aint going as fast as you can - you're going too slow.

I would rather crash trying to lead than hold back just to finish "well".

They start as a manly game......then slowly, carefully, fairly, they become T-ball.

Everyone is a champion, no one is a winner.

Simplicity trumps complexity every time.

If what you want to do is find an overall best then use total time.

Anything else is T-ball.

THAT says it all!

BJ, I'm always quite interested in scores the black powder categories. These categories just don't produce the overall winners but I love seeing how the Soot Lords and Ladies of the Purple Feather score. I am also interested in how the two-handed shooters in the smokeless categories place since these categories usually have the match winners. That's just one opinion but it's what I look for. Top ten matters to me too.

Regarding three scorings options, well just decide before the match what to use, input the scores into ACES, select the desired option and announce the results at the awards ceremony. Put away the steel, clean the guns and let's do it again next weekend. If you write the stages and select the scoring option I'm pleased to come and do it your way.

Question...

What is more important to SASS shooters? Overall winners or category winners?

I would guess that more care about category winners . That would explain why ther are so many categorys . I will never win an overall but thats all I care about . How far back from the best . I will shoot any match no matter the scoring but I aiways look at the total time scores first .

I just don't understand why football is not scored by total yards gained????

:blink::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: !!!!! PERFECT!!!! :P

Spades H. Likes, We would'nt want some crazy hail marry pass to win now would we? ;)

Archived