SASS Wire Forum

Toy Hauler's

serving justice

how big is your truck??

I have a 39 foot Nextel built by Holiday Rambler - Garage model

I love it and it gets plenty of use, I pull it with a Dodge 3500 diesel

The only problem I have is low speed towing - my transmission gets hot

I was researching a new rig - thinking of downsizing a bit.

Major issue to think of is tire, wheel and axel size.

I tend to run faster than I should and blow more tires than I like

My next rig will run with 16 inch wheels and the biggest axels I can get

Coffee

Some more detail would be nice.

Enclosed or open? Weight/size of your 'toy', etc.

LG

I have a new UTV Can AM Commander 6 feet tall - to put in the back - so Im looking at the 40 length like the Voltage or Road Warrior,

Slow Speed Transmission Heat...........

I had this issue with my Dodge diesel 2500 towing a 10,000 trailer. Until I figured out that if the transmision isn';t locked, it will overheat. Use the "Two/Haul" mode and it will lock the torque converter at lower speeds and keep everything nice and cool.

BTW, I have a Truck Camper now and will be getting a Toy Hauler in the spring. Looking for a less than 20'; model. Single axle if possible. Haul the motorcycle and use the garage space to set up a nice gun cleaning station when the bike isn't occupying the space.......

in the 40' range a tri axle is the way to go, more braking, and less weight on each tire and axle, remember too, don't jack knife it if you don't have too. no shackle type springs either.

also go with a better pin system for the fifth wheel, takes a lot of the shock out of the trailer.... if your truck doesn't have the trailer brake factory installed go with the Max-Brake, best I've ever used!!! more money but when you need to stop, priceless.

in the 40' range a tri axle is the way to go, more braking, and less weight on each tire and axle, remember too, don't jack knife it if you don't have too. no shackle type springs either.

also go with a better pin system for the fifth wheel, takes a lot of the shock out of the trailer.... if your truck doesn't have the trailer brake factory installed go with the Max-Brake, best I've ever used!!! more money but when you need to stop, priceless.

Many states require you to upgrade you d'lic for anything more than 4 axles.

LG

Archived