SASS Wire Forum

Really? Again? Maybe I should stop reading the CC.

Grizzly Dave

I have never and will never understand why folks want to cut the belt loops off their breeches to add suspender buttons and make shootin' pants. The loops ain't hurtin' nothin'. Ye kin put on the suspender buttons and leave the loops intact. The Duke hisowndangself wore both suspenders and a belt. Even if ya doan want to wear a belt, like I say the loops ain't hurtin' nothin'. I'd leave 'em on, they might just come in handy sometime.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never and will never understand why folks want to cut the belt loops off their breeches to add suspender buttons and make shootin' pants. The loops ain't hurtin' nothin'. Ye kin put on the suspender buttons and leave the loops intact. The Duke hisowndangself wore both suspenders and a belt. Even if ya doan want to wear a belt, like I say the loops ain't hurtin' nothin'. I'd leave 'em on, they might just come in handy sometime.

I understand it....a low cost way of making old west style pants. No big deal...

GG

:-) We have some records of the hands at our "Idaho Heritage Farm" (which is a cattle ranch) :-) and was started over 175 years ago. We have some photographs dating away back. Moist of the hands wore California pants because miners wore Levis. Almost none seem to have used suspenders. However, there was a crossover of pants in Idaho. Further, many hands wore and, on occasion, me, wear "Packers". They are lace up :cowboy" type riding boots. They were as popular in Northern Washington, Idaho, Montana and North Dakotra as woolly chaps. Hats varied from winter Scoutch caps to :Boss of the Plains: and other Stetsons. ALSO, a few hands wore Buscadero holsters!!! Almost all others wore cross draw as I do except for CAS. However, in our case, rifles were owned by the place and not the individual hand.

There seems to be quite a lot of mythical BS purveyed around here! Let's lighten up! :-)

:-) We have some records of the hands at our "Idaho Heritage Farm" (which is a cattle ranch) :-) and was started over 175 years ago. We have some photographs dating away back. Moist of the hands wore California pants because miners wore Levis. Almost none seem to have used suspenders. However, there was a crossover of pants in Idaho. Further, many hands wore and, on occasion, me, wear "Packers". They are lace up :cowboy" type riding boots. They were as popular in Northern Washington, Idaho, Montana and North Dakotra as woolly chaps. Hats varied from winter Scoutch caps to :Boss of the Plains: and other Stetsons. ALSO, a few hands wore Buscadero holsters!!! Almost all others wore cross draw as I do except for CAS. However, in our case, rifles were owned by the place and not the individual hand.

There seems to be quite a lot of mythical BS purveyed around here! Let's lighten up! :-)

A lot of B western films were mythological...so what. They all have a flair for sharing the old west theme.

GG

Interesting.

Intriguing about the rifles being owned by the 'company' more so than the individual. Was this because of cost, etc.....?

..........Widder

i am new on the wire , been reading these threads to get a grasp on whats important to folks , been reading the CC regularly since i started in this shooting venue a long while ago , i do shoot other venues as well so i try to always keep an open mind to all points of view , that said i do enjoy reading what those with staunch views of their sport have to say , this because i generally learn something new ,

i respect the rules , but i have no time for those that choose to 'use' the rules to browbeat their fellow participants , i really don't think tex is doing that in the CC , ive always taken it that he felt strongly about the clothing as part of the sport , i don't - i mean i dress the part , not flashy , but pretty much a john wayne look cross between the searchers [jeans cuffed] and later movies shirt/vest scarf , hat and boots ,

i enjoy seeing what other folks put together for outfits , and i respect that they have big fun doing it , some i know spend a small fortune on that aspect , and im always pleased for them when they win the awards , im also pleased when folks get recognized with the "spirit of the games" for being enthusiastic participants ,

like mentioned above a limited budget means i shoot stoeger/rossi/cimmaron combination , i have one 'tuned' gun a tauras i got used from a friend , i dont shoot well enough for it to be an advantage , i also have a nice vaquero , i traded 4 guns in to get it and i don't shoot it all that much , but im not going to be "upping my game" on either guns or clothes , now on a limited income im hoping to have ammo and match fees for the upcoming year ,

i also dont think the discussion is 'out of line' here either , if this did not need to be vented about no one would post here and the thread would die out , i have no problem reading what others feel strongly about , on both sides , but it is true - if the rules change and denim is outlawed and where i shoot enforces that rule , i wont be shooting anymore , at this venue - ill go to a venue that encourages members even if they dont have large bank accounts ,

Howdy Y'all

I have stayed out of this "fight" for a long time...But almost any video you can find on the internet dealing with "NEW" shooters to CAS, when it comes to clothing, it s stated that all you need to get started is a "pair of blue jeans" boots a long sleeve shirt and a cowboy hat (of some sort).

I also see that a lot of the Vendors & suppliers to SASS who in fact sell some type of snap on Buttons to be attached on a pair of blue jeans will start to take offense that SASS is telling them what they can and can not sell ( although I do not think this will happen).

How far do we go...Do we start testing the fabric of the "Cooler Cowboy Shirt" which here in Florida is great to wear. The fabric that it is made of is not period correct even if the shirt does look like a cowboy shirt.

We need to attract new members and not push away members by telling them that if they want to shoot and compete they can not wear jeans, when they watch cowboy movies and see some of their childhood stars wearing jeans with their six-guns.

Those that want TOTAL costuming correct, can infect join other organizations that will in force those rules.

I joined SASS to play out my childhood again and shoot four guns per stage and not have my outfit checked for correctness at each stage or match.

Coming from a shooting background of bullseye (started when I was 12 and spent 9 years at Camp Perry, National Matches) , Steel Challenge and now shooting in the Silver Senior class all I want to do on a Saturday or Sunday or at a two day match for that matter is have "FUN".

Just a thought.......Remember when only white shorts, shirts, socks and sneakers were only allowed on the tennis court :huh: what happened to that....

and until which time we are giving away the new Mercedes-Benz for winning :D , I thing that as long as shooters come ready to shoot with boots, pants,long shirt and a brim hat ( hot a ball cap) we should all go out and shoot, shoot, shoot,shoot and have FUN :D .

Soooooo, IMHO I have entered my $0.02 and I am sticking to it.

I hope we can get on to other more interesting topics, than what type of butt cover one has :lol:

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night

REDSTONE RIDER

Well yes Gunner I grok that people want to make low cost shooter pants out of jeans by adding suspender buttons. The mere addition of the buttons accomplishes that purpose. I cannot fathom howsomever going ahead and whacking off the belt loops. Still just makes no sense to me. You do not have to use them but like I say they ain't hurtin' anything by continuing to exist. You don't have to thread a belt thru them if ya doan want or need to but that option disappears if you do want to someday if they are no longer there.

I probably have more than enuff shooter pants for the rest of my life but I have several pair of brown wranglers I fully intend to put the buttons on someday mainly for WBAS. But I sure am not gonna sacrifice the loops off of them when I do.

Lone Dog, I am with you, while I have added bachelor buttons to my jeans, I left the belt loops on there, to me it just looks dorky to cut them off because you can tell that they were once there...

But to each their own.

Lone Dog, I am with you, while I have added bachelor buttons to my jeans, I left the belt loops on there, to me it just looks dorky to cut them off because you can tell that they were once there...

But to each their own.

I'm with the shooter that subscribes to the 'to each their own' within the rules...loops or no loops....' spenders or no ' spenders.

I still like Fonda's line in 'Once Upon a Time in the West'...."How can ya trust a man who wears suspenders and a belt at the same time...man can't even trust his own pants" ( or something like that)....classic stuff.

GG

Archived