SASS Wire Forum

Really? Again? Maybe I should stop reading the CC.

Grizzly Dave

Bad Hand who are you to tell me I have no experience with NCOWS? I have had more than my fill of them and their elitest attitude! There are a few good and reasonable NCOWS members, but by far and away the majority I have had to deal with thought just like TEX, "my way or the highway". Until you have walked a mile in my boots, please do not make assumptions, and pass judgements on me!!!

Are you a NCOWS member? I doubt it, I am, I shoot in the same clothing and firearms I use in SASS matches. Have you ever read the "Tally Book"? I doubt it too. My problem is people who only have 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge of NCOWS bad mouthing them. I can only judge you and make assumptions about you based on your posts. The subject was about SASS, you were the one who chose to bring NCOWS into the conversation. BTW my NCOWS # is 2906, what's yours?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reading this and one thought comes to mind...

Why are you bothering him at a shoot? Let him have his fun!!!!

Oy!

Phantom

+1

I was at the convention in the TG meeting. Yes we did discuss costuming. I would not call it long or, heated or anything. The conversation lasted maybe 10 minutes? Maybe a bit longer. The general consensus was to leave it alone, enforce our current rules.

I have always dressed cowboy to shoot. Not Classic Cowboy style but cowboy. No jeans.

My wife occasionally wears jeans. I would rather have her along shooting than not, because she couldn't wear jeans if she wanted to.

I understand Tex wanting to keep the game as he sees it should be. Heck we all do the same thing at our local clubs.

Bottom line I don't believe anything will change as far rules for costuming.

Enforce the ones we have.

Tex is entitled to his opinion, I'll give him that, but he ain't making many friends by bringing this up on a monthly or bimonthly basis. I've talked to more than a few shooters that have been doing this a long time and they don't appreciate it. I cringe anymore when I read the CC editorial because I know what's coming on the wire.

maybe he forgot he said it already

geeese

lol

he sure keep the hits on the wire in the top ten

Bad Hand

I would not join NCOWS on a bet!!!!

They tried to force me to join when I was on the board of directors of my local CAS club. The majority of complaints handled by the board come from the NCOWS members. They make up 4% of the club membership and yet think that everything should be run by NCOWS. That is pure nonsense. I have read the Tally Book and cannot figure out what their problem is, as most of the things they complain about are not even in there. Again you making an assumption, and guess what, you were wrong again.

I used to attend our Greenhorn shoots, but quit because of all the snide comments about what would not be alright for NCOWS. I have always dressed B-Western, even before SASS came out with the category, so you should be able to guess all the things they could find to whine about. I was glad when they quit the greenhorn shoots, now if it is s SASS shoot I attend and if it is a NCOWS shoot I stay away.

I brought up NCOWS because of the fact that Tex's attitude and narrow-mindedness fits right in with the majority of the NCOWS people I have had to deal with. Yes there are some good and decent members, but from my experience most are not.

Bad Hand

They tried to force me to join when I was on the board of directors of my local CAS club. The majority of complaints handled by the board come from the NCOWS members. They make up 4% of the club membership and yet think that everything should be run by NCOWS. That is pure nonsense. I have read the Tally Book and cannot figure out what their problem is, as most of the things they complain about are not even in there. Again you making an assumption, and guess what, you were wrong again.

I used to attend our Greenhorn shoots, but quit because of all the snide comments about what would not be alright for NCOWS. I have always dressed B-Western, even before SASS came out with the category, so you should be able to guess all the things they could find to whine about. I was glad when they quit the greenhorn shoots, now if it is s SASS shoot I attend and if it is a NCOWS shoot I stay away.

I brought up NCOWS because of the fact that Tex's attitude and narrow-mindedness fits right in with the majority of the NCOWS people I have had to deal with. Yes there are some good and decent members, but from my experience most are not.

No body asked you to join NCOWS, but I feel your coments are uncalled for and have no place in a discussion of SASS rules. Different games, different rules.

let it go guys... please

Tex is a founding father and deserving of a little more respect here on the company's own wire which I would hate to see shut down if the hardheads yammer too hard. Tex is doing his job. The job of the editor of any publication is to stir the pot as opposed to this hyar Wahr where stirring the pot is not just frowned upon but forbidden. You may not think you agree with Tex' stance but look in the mirror and think hard and long and realize maybe you do.

I started May 96 and have never worn blue jeans. I studied on the game and read everything I could get my hands on and researched it so I looked the part and looked like I knew what the deal was from the get go even tho I really did not. I like to wear the cowboy shooters suspender pants because I am fat and they are more comfortable to ME. If'n you prefer Wranglers power to you. Wore a pair of train driver overalls oncet, never again, got wooled around unmercifully all day -- "say, ye shootin' in the sodbuster category today?". We all have the same rights to our preferences and opinions. Except when we participate in a SASS sanctioned match. As so many have stated -- their game, their rules. I do not anticipate the WB banning denim dungarees but if they do they do. We will all have to live with it. I do not see anyone with the backing or ability to successfully start up a new Blue Jean Cowboy Shooting Society. Not gonna happen. Just look at W3G and how little inroads that outfit has made in their over a decade of existence. On the other side NCOWS hasn't exactly set the world on fire either now has it?

It is not hard to step up one's costuming game. That is all Tex is really saying. You may come only for the shooting and care less about costuming but the git up has ALWAYS been a major part of the game, and it has always stated so in the handbook. Period. Whether ye like it or don't like it. Get with the program and listen to what Deuce said. I heard Long Hunter say the same thing on a video. I like to wear a wild rag but I observe most don't. Yeah it gets in the way and sometimes gets closed up in the 2row so what I like it. Also like to pack a big bowie stuck in the top of me boot (pants tucked in) and yeah it gets in the way and is hardly ever needed but so what I like it. You like what you want and let Tex like what he wants. I am for freedom but for pity's sake some really do need to step up their costuming even if they will never admit it. Without the duds CAS ain't CAS.

Ye mean to tell me you can afford $1500 for a rifle, the same for 2 tuned pistolas and etc etc but ye cannot afford fifty bucks for a pair of pants? That dog won't hunt. Now those of Falstaffian proportions like ole Grizzly Dave or anyone who just prefers blue jeans power to ya. If ya can't find anything else come on out anyhoo. We have always been a big tent and hopefully always will be. I would sure hate to see those who prefer Wranglers ever given the cold shoulder. I ain't no purist. In the summer I prefer to wear a modern straw hat because it is vented better and I have a real problem with the heat.

Just saying we should all look to step up our game insomuch as we can like Deuce said.

That's really all ole Tex is saying too, cut the man a little slack. Sheesh.

Looks like the old horse just got resuscitated.

I think its funny how people will go on a post and say "let it go" , "give it a rest" , "stop beating a dead horse" yet they are adding to the post they want to go away . If you want it to go away that ain't gonna happen if you can't stay away . So take your own advise and "let it go" . As for me I say carry on . The editorials need all the feed back we're willing to give . My name is Most Wanted and I wear jeans ! Man that felt good to get off my chest .

Tex is a founding father and deserving of a little more respect

<SNIP>

That sword cuts two ways....

Sorry - folks that are staying within the rules do not need to be chastised by someone with an apparent personal

agenda.

I've stopped reading the CC years ago due to the lack of useful stuff in it, even the advert's get boringly repetitive.

This argument gets old and boring too. If the rules change many will walk, because many no longer have the

fascination for reliving the old west as remembered by folks who were born in the 1930's or '40's and grew up on

movies and TV of 1950's.

Instead of wasting everyone's time berating them for not meeting his fantasy needs, he should focus on helping

this sport get more inclusive, not exclusive. Help us get youngsters and other new players in, and stop finding

faults where none exist.

Being old & having been around since they built the mountains does not confer on one the font of knowledge or

wisdom, it just means you're old and have been around a while.

SC

I'm so done with this post…………….bye

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Rye ;)

I'm so done with this post.bye

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Rye ;)

Not me....I'm just gonna sit back and read the ' entertainment'.... if'n she don't get shut down first :D

GG

Whew!

I am so tired... unfortunately the Wire won't let me quote all that I want. My comments are a mix of Allie the Moderator and Just Allie Mo.

Really? I had always been told that La Quinta was Spanish for Denny's.

At La Quinta, I had my choice of walking through the snow in the dark for a meal to a burrito joint or microwaving a chicken pot pie. I chose the latter. I could rant more about this hotel; but I won't. If you are tempted to stay there in Springfield, let me know and the rant will lengthen.

I'm reading this and one thought comes to mind...

Why are you bothering him at a shoot? Let him have his fun!!!!

Oy!

Phantom

Amen!

Are you a NCOWS member? I doubt it, I am, I shoot in the same clothing and firearms I use in SASS matches. Have you ever read the "Tally Book"? I doubt it too. My problem is people who only have 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge of NCOWS bad mouthing them. I can only judge you and make assumptions about you based on your posts. The subject was about SASS, you were the one who chose to bring NCOWS into the conversation. BTW my NCOWS # is 2906, what's yours?

I wish we would leave another gun sport out of a negative post on the Wire. We should be cautious in our comments about all shooting sports. Support our brother/sister gun sportsmen/sportswomen in their sports.

Bad Hand

Please refer to my previous comment and stop the personal attacks on a member of the WB or other shooting sports. We owe the WB much for starting this sport and, although I don't always agree with them, this beloved sport of ours would not exist without them. About other shooting sports, we need to support each other on public forums.

No body asked you to join NCOWS, but I feel your coments are uncalled for and have no place in a discussion of SASS rules. Different games, different rules.

Agreed! Please see my previous post.

BTW, Those were all the posts I could quote at one time.

Regards,

Both Allie Mos

Ye mean to tell me you can afford $1500 for a rifle, the same for 2 tuned pistolas and etc etc but ye cannot afford fifty bucks for a pair of pants? That dog won't hunt. Now those of Falstaffian proportions like ole Grizzly Dave or anyone who just prefers blue jeans power to ya. If ya can't find anything else come on out anyhoo. We have always been a big tent and hopefully always will be. I would sure hate to see those who prefer Wranglers ever given the cold shoulder. I ain't no purist. In the summer I prefer to wear a modern straw hat because it is vented better and I have a real problem with the heat.

Just saying we should all look to step up our game insomuch as we can like Deuce said.

I had previously deleted the contents of a post on this thread. Now I wish I hadn't. To answer your question, I have only been to a few shoots since actually becoming a member, because of finances. I have a very inexpensive pair of pistols that I was fortunate enough to be able to get. Sold a firearm to buy them. I also have a Rossi '92 that I feel lucky to have. I will admit it was tuned by NKJ, before I got it, but I didn't pay a lot for it. Come to think of it, I believe I sold another gun for it. Since that time, I've sold a few others to make ends meet. Ammunition for CAS is almost a luxury, when I can find it. In fact, I have a very hard time justifying my SASS membership, because it is money that could be used elsewhere. So, no, there are no expensive / tuned guns here.

Now, I grew up watching TV shows like the High Chaparral, Gunsmoke, and even The Big Valley, as well as movies such as The Magnificent Seven and Shane, in addition to plenty of John Wayne. They all seemed to either wear jeans or canvas pants that look almost like chinos (with belts!) These were the cowboys I idolized. So... I have worn Wranglers to shoots, because they are within the rules, and because I wear them outside of shoots. Just like my beat up Justin Ropers. The modern straw cowboy hat I have was a gift. I won't buy Levis, because of their stance on gun control. Since Wrangler is no longer making jeans in the USA, the next time I buy, I will probably be looking for another brand. But $50 for a pair of Wahmaker or other pants that I would just wear at shoots? Yeah, at this point in time, they would mean missing out on something else to buy them. Oh, and they wouldn't be how I "remember" and visualize cowboys being in the movies and TV of my youth.

Tex is a founding father and deserving of a little more respect here on the company's own wire which I would hate to see shut down if the hardheads yammer too hard. Tex is doing his job. The job of the editor of any publication is to stir the pot as opposed to this hyar Wahr where stirring the pot is not just frowned upon but forbidden. You may not think you agree with Tex' stance but look in the mirror and think hard and long and realize maybe you do.

I started May 96 and have never worn blue jeans. I studied on the game and read everything I could get my hands on and researched it so I looked the part and looked like I knew what the deal was from the get go even tho I really did not. I like to wear the cowboy shooters suspender pants because I am fat and they are more comfortable to ME. If'n you prefer Wranglers power to you. Wore a pair of train driver overalls oncet, never again, got wooled around unmercifully all day -- "say, ye shootin' in the sodbuster category today?". We all have the same rights to our preferences and opinions. Except when we participate in a SASS sanctioned match. As so many have stated -- their game, their rules. I do not anticipate the WB banning denim dungarees but if they do they do. We will all have to live with it. I do not see anyone with the backing or ability to successfully start up a new Blue Jean Cowboy Shooting Society. Not gonna happen. Just look at W3G and how little inroads that outfit has made in their over a decade of existence. On the other side NCOWS hasn't exactly set the world on fire either now has it?

It is not hard to step up one's costuming game. That is all Tex is really saying. You may come only for the shooting and care less about costuming but the git up has ALWAYS been a major part of the game, and it has always stated so in the handbook. Period. Whether ye like it or don't like it. Get with the program and listen to what Deuce said. I heard Long Hunter say the same thing on a video. I like to wear a wild rag but I observe most don't. Yeah it gets in the way and sometimes gets closed up in the 2row so what I like it. Also like to pack a big bowie stuck in the top of me boot (pants tucked in) and yeah it gets in the way and is hardly ever needed but so what I like it. You like what you want and let Tex like what he wants. I am for freedom but for pity's sake some really do need to step up their costuming even if they will never admit it. Without the duds CAS ain't CAS.

Well said, Lone Dog!

Sorry if my comments hurt some feelings, but they stated my opinion and that will not change.

Jeans are here, they are legal, let those that wear them live in peace!!!

SC, we are all deserving of respect, even evil ole Tex.

I remain aghast at how the man is denigrated and vilified on this Wahr, It is unseemly.

I am old but never claimed to be wise...

Respect is earned and re-earned, it is not a gift or a right. One earns it for what one has done, and can lose it just as quickly and for the same reasons.

It is also earned by those who keep this game alive by showing up and doing the hard work before, during and after a match.

I've never denigrated Tex, but I must say if he keeps finding fault with people who are playing within the rules he will have earned the same disrespect

from many folks that he is showing them.

SASS is a business, even while guised as a fantasy game. The business is run for profit, not as a benevolent society, and as such it may do as it

pleases. It should be noted that a number of the customers are taking offense at being criticized for complying with the rules, but not to the satisfaction

of one of the business partners.

Quite frankly, that is rude and insulting to those who make the emotional and economical investment in this game, and those who support it above and

beyond the paying of dues.

You have to admit that when anyone in the leadership starts finding fault with those members who are following the rules, it creates division and dissent.

What good can that serve for the game or the business?

SC

Respect is earned and re-earned, it is not a gift or a right. One earns it for what one has done, and can lose it just as quickly and for the same reasons.

It is also earned by those who keep this game alive by showing up and doing the hard work before, during and after a match.

I've never denigrated Tex, but I must say if he keeps finding fault with people who are playing within the rules he will have earned the same disrespect

from many folks that he is showing them.

SASS is a business, even while guised as a fantasy game. The business is run for profit, not as a benevolent society, and as such it may do as it

pleases. It should be noted that a number of the customers are taking offense at being criticized for complying with the rules, but not to the satisfaction

of one of the business partners.

Quite frankly, that is rude and insulting to those who make the emotional and economical investment in this game, and those who support it above and

beyond the paying of dues.

You have to admit that when anyone in the leadership starts finding fault with those members who are following the rules, it creates division and dissent.

What good can that serve for the game or the business?

SC

Do you respect God?? Your parents?? Your spouse? Your kids? Your boss? or anyone else that may have crossed the line...one time.... in your view?

When a shooter is penalized or disqualified for wearing jeans of any brand, then we should revisit this topic.

Until then, I thank Tex for his efforts in promoting Cowboy Action Shooting,and for his day-to-day efforts in producing a publication that the majority of us look forward to receiving, even though sometimes my opinion differs from his.

I'm sorry I did not get to meet him at Comin' At Cha. I saw him at the awards banquet, but he appeared to be busy, so I did not impose myself on him. Of course, on the other hand, he did not seek me out, so I guess we are even!! ;):lol:

Doc W, point well taken sir. What size waist ye wear? I have some pants with many miles left in them that somehow shrank a mite whilst hangin' in the closet. If they will fit ya I will send 'em your way.

For the record even tho Levi Strauss invented jeans in the 1870s real cowboys of the time viewed the newfangled miner's breeches with disdain and would not be caught dead in them. Blue jeans did not catch on with real cowboys for decades mebbeso up into the 20th century

Do you respect God?? Your parents?? Your spouse? Your kids? Your boss? or anyone else that may have crossed the line...one time.... in your view?

I love and worship God, I respect my parents and my spouse and all others who earn it through their actions and behavior.

If any of them were to act in an unacceptable manner, such as violence or abusive behavior towards people or animals, they would

lose my respect. A man need only strike his wife one time to lose respect and trust. A person need only publicly berate another

once to lose their respect. Loyalty falls into the same category; if one is loyal, one expects to have loyalty returned. That's why we

hold traitors in such contempt.

If they lose my respect, they have to earn it back. One forgives, but trust and respect still need to be earned and re-earned if lost.

Unconditional respect, or love, is a creation of romance writers and at best a temporary state of babies and puppies.

Emotionally mature individuals understand that these things are conditional; they must be earned and can be lost.

Shadow Catcher

BTW - in the grand scheme of things this is still a business, and it will evolve, grow and change, or it will die.

The ultimate arbiter is the paying customer. You either earn their respect and their dollars, or they walk away.

It is unlikely that anyone berating a small part of the customer base via the CC will harm the game, but it will alienate a portion

of the customer base, which is a questionable business practice, but perhaps also harmless in the end.

Truest statement on this thread....." THE ULTIMATE ARBITER IS THE PAYING CUSTOMER ". Exactly why, if I don't like the scoring system or the clothing rules... I stay home.

Archived