SASS Wire Forum

Really? Again? Maybe I should stop reading the CC.

Grizzly Dave

Lumpy, hon, you have always been dressed great when I have shot with you, and I appreciate it. It makes the whole experience more fun. But for some reason you seem to think Tex should not be allowed to speak out on what he believes, and I really don't understand that. It doesn't matter what position he holds, he still has the Right of Freedom of Speech, as do you and everyone else.

I am very happy to hear that, (not official yet) they are not changing the requirements on blue jeans.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skye - I know your comments weren't directed at me, but I'd like to comment anyway.

Certainly Tex has the right to voice his opinion no matter what position he holds within SASS. However, given his position he has greater opportunity to voice that opinion and at least an implied clout that goes along with the position.

I think anyone who read any ONE of his 5 or 6 editorials lately understands his opinion about blue jeans being worn in SASS events. To continue to hammer the point home month after month seems to me to only serve to make the issue much more divisive and hurtful to the game and organization.

In other matters, have you given any thought to my suggestion to have a best beard award for your costume contest at Eldorado next year? :D

Grizz

Skye - I know your comments weren't directed at me, but I'd like to comment anyway.

Certainly Tex has the right to voice his opinion no matter what position he holds within SASS. However, given his position he has greater opportunity to voice that opinion and at least an implied clout that goes along with the position.

I think anyone who read any ONE of his 5 or 6 editorials lately understands his opinion about blue jeans being worn in SASS events. To continue to hammer the point home month after month seems to me to only serve to make the issue much more divisive and hurtful to the game and organization.

In other matters, have you given any thought to my suggestion to have a best beard award for your costume contest at Eldorado next year? :D

Grizz

Define BEST......... :lol:

L( :P )G

A friend called from the Convention in cold Branson, Mo. He says the word on the "floor" is that after a lot of debate, the TGs seemed to support keeping the dress code just the way it is and to allow jeans as we do now. He said a straw pole was conducted and there was little support for any change. He said there was also a fear by the TGs even if a change on dress code was made in the rules, folks and clubs would just ignore it. Remember that this is second hand information but encouraging none the less.

From the minutes, I believe you are correct.

GCK, they are posted on TG wire, but I do not believe it my place to place them on open wire. I will leave that to PWB, Roo, and/or BJZ.

When Tex uses his position as EIC of the CC to keep beating us over the head with his personal agenda something needs to be done. Since he seems adverse to publish letters that differ with him the wire is the place we have to voice opposition.

Tex needs to step back and realize that shooters who dress to the minimum are well within their rights, and that he is only sowing dissention and hard feelings among the shooters.

I am glad to see that it seems the TG's have listened to the majority of shooters and displayed common sense in retaining the costuming as it stands. This proposed ban on jeans has the potential to be more divisive than the cone of safety was. I know shooters who still don't talk to one another or shoot on the same posse be cause of that little gem of an idea. I hope that now Tex will display some class and let this go.

Now, Grizzly Dave, what system do you suggest for the Best Beard??? Most grey? Longest? Best Upper lip??? Best kisser?? Ummmm, the possibilities are endless!!

I know Stan...and kinda agree.

But to say flat out that we should dump and not support a vendor because of a theory...naw...not me.

And yes, this whole thing about "Jeans" is pretty silly in my humble opinion.

Cheers!!

And stay warm!!!

Phantom

Agreed. It was a chilly 80 here today. Lol

Stan

Now, Grizzly Dave, what system do you suggest for the Best Beard??? Most grey? Longest? Best Upper lip??? Best kisser?? Ummmm, the possibilities are endless!!

How's about------

Most food retained in beard :lol:

LG

I'm just the idea guy, you are the costume contest lady, I reckon you could come up with some criteria to judge them by.

That's dessert LG.

When the person is an Editor in Chief of a monthly publication. Then uses said publication to post those 'ideas', REPEATEDLY.

It leaves a bad taste is all.......

Respectfully,

LG

Well at least he only publishes his ideas once a month. He beats the dead horse up to 12 times a year.

There are others who beat the dead horse 12 times a day here on the wire. :blink:

KQ

Well at least he only publishes his ideas once a month. He beats the dead horse up to 12 times a year.

There are others who beat the dead horse 12 times a day here on the wire. :blink:

KQ

:lol::lol::lol: ..that's funny right there!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

So if it's true that the clothing rules stay the same, then we can finally stop beating this poor ol' horse! (until the next editorial :P )

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Rye ;)

Time for a nude match....that would be a good 'protest' :D

No thanks..............no thanks................if it was the ladies wearing cut off Wrangler jeans, I'm all for it. Otherwise..........no thanks.

If in fact the TGs had a straw vote that favored by a large amount leaving the dress rules the same, one of three things can happen. The Wild Bunch will quit pushing this issue. The Wild Bunch will unilaterally impose a new rule on this subject. The CC will continue stiring this pot. I would rate the odds about equal at this point, so time will tell if the horse is dead or just sleeping.

Only one comment in the editorial really caught my attention.

"Our fantasy game".

Everyone should remember that what is YOUR fantasy game is probably not exactly MY fantasy game.

amen!

KQ

OH-Way more than 12 :lol:

LG

Only one comment in the editorial really caught my attention.

"Our fantasy game".

Everyone should remember that what is YOUR fantasy game is probably not exactly MY fantasy game.

+1

Not everyone requires the shooters at a SASS match to look like they are in the process of filming a Western.

I love the shooting and the guns. I enjoy the costuming part of the game.

As they say.... YOUR milage may very.

Have a good evening pards.

Ketchum Quick

+1

Not everyone wishes the shooters at a SASS match to look like they are in the process of filming a Western to enjoy a day at the range.

I love the shooting and the guns. I enjoy the costuming part of the game.

As they say.... YOUR milage may very.

Have a good evening pards.

Ketchum Quick

I had the chance to have nice one on one conversation with Tex on this subject. I left feeling good (felt fine before the conversation because I get where he's coming from). I get no heart burn from the way folks dress so long as they are within the rules. A couple of years ago I made personal choice to do a better job with my costuming. I had gotten used to wranglers and henley shirt myself, I was admittedly become a minimalist dresser but all the time staying within the rules. But for some reason it popped into my head why I started and what drew me in and I started paying more attention to how I was dressing. I started getting more compliments and my shooting certainly did not suffer from trying a bit harder. Also folks would see my clothing on the way home from matches at gas stations,stores and cafes and started asking about my clothing giving me a chance to tell other folks about SASS and CAS. So when I started 12 years ago costuming was important, then later it got set on the back burner and now for ME i can see a benefit for myself putting a little more effort forth in how I dress. I don't expect everyone else to share my idea or vision of the game. The rules allow for a lot of different options. I am having more fun as a result of my choice. Our costuming is what separates us from a lot of other shooting sports. And I personally don't want to see that change.

I had the chance to have nice one on one conversation with Tex on this subject. I left feeling good (felt fine before the conversation because I get where he's coming from). I get no heart burn from the way folks dress so long as they are within the rules. A couple of years ago I made personal choice to do a better job with my costuming. I had gotten used to wranglers and henley shirt myself, I was admittedly become a minimalist dresser but all the time staying within the rules. But for some reason it popped into my head why I started and what drew me in and I started paying more attention to how I was dressing. I started getting more compliments and my shooting certainly did not suffer from trying a bit harder. Also folks would see my clothing on the way home from matches at gas stations,stores and cafes and started asking about my clothing giving me a chance to tell other folks about SASS and CAS. So when I started 12 years ago costuming was important, then later it got set on the back burner and now for ME i can see a benefit for myself putting a little more effort forth in how I dress. I don't expect everyone else to share my idea or vision of the game. The rules allow for a lot of different options. I am having more fun as a result of my choice. Our costuming is what separates us from a lot of other shooting sports. And I personally don't want to see that change.

You're a good representative of the sport Deuce...

GG

Excellent post Deuce. Maybe you could coach Tex on how to present an opinion ........

gee, for some reason, I never git noticed for how I dress away from a shoot.....

oh, if you believe thit, I've got some prime beachfront property for sale in Phoenix,,,, lots of sand.....lots and lots................

btw, I did notice when Duece and Wed Wiver Way really started dressing!!!!!!!!!!

The biggest problem here is Tex's attitude. I am glad that Tex would talk with Deuce, I have not had the same kind of luck. When I approached Tex at a shoot and wanted to discuss is stance on match directors shooting their own matches he just walked away. I don't see this as being any different given his "it's my way or the highway" stance. He does not answer letters and does not publish letters with a view opposed to him. He needs to go join his buddies in NCOWS, they share his attitude.

My experience with Tex is the opposite. at shoots I don't care to discuss "politics" either.

the problem that people may have with Tex is this, he has a platform to tell what he likes, and we don't, such is life.

I agree with him to a degree, you can't outlaw jeans on other than BW, but minimal dressers do nothing to help CAS. Now, get your panties untwisted, I meant in appearance, not what they may do work wise....

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - Personal attack.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - Personal attack.

When you use you platform as EIC to label a group of shooters as cheaters you need to be prepared to defend yourself to them where ever and when ever they come into contact with you. It is mean and small minded to just say " I wrote what I wrote" then walk away.

I have NEVER seen Tex label any group of shooters as cheaters. NEVER. And he has always been most polite to me when I have spoken with him, listened and replied. Perhaps it is in your attitude that you perceive such things.

Archived