SASS Wire Forum

Really? Again? Maybe I should stop reading the CC.

Grizzly Dave

How many pages do we need on this subject every month I wonder?

I'm betting on a moderator horse rescue.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be why many folks only shoot at their local clubs once or twice a month and don't even think about big matches where every aspect of this game is put under a microscope.

Just sayin'

This might be why many folks only shoot at their local clubs once or twice a month and don't even think about big matches where every aspect of this game is put under a microscope.

Just sayin'

How many 'big matches' have you as a participant, seen this?

Me, NEVER.

Monthly matches, are far more cheaper too.

LG

I think a "protest" is in order. How about everyone that agrees that jeans are okay, Wranglers included ( and my favorites, Faded Glory/Wal Mart) start wearing them. BTW, I wear both Wahmakers, Skullys and jeans. Depends on the mood I'm in. The only way to keep Tex from talking about this in every CC is to do a MASS protest! Who's on board??

Rye :)

I personnally like to wear the cowboy duds! You will not catch me shooting without my Stetson. I really enjoy seeing people making the extra effort to dress up.

Having said that, I certainly do not intend to brow beat anyone in doing the same.

I read the CC every month, I just jump over things written by Tex. I read the 1st one, it's all been repetition ever since.

One way or the other I enjoy this game way to much to let anyone ruin it for me.

Tex is entitled to his opinion as we are all entitled to our. If you play within the guidelines, end of story.

Just my 2 bits.

Frenchy

I agree a protest is in order. Tex needs to be shown that his whiney attitude does not play well with the majority of shooters. Blue jeans will be the mainstay of my wardrobe and anything made by whamaker is gone.

Everyone needs to start wearing jeans and boycotting whamaker. If you hit them where the money is they will sit up and take notice. Then maybe Tex will get muzzled.

I think a "protest" is in order. How about everyone that agrees that jeans are okay, Wranglers included ( and my favorites, Faded Glory/Wal Mart) start wearing them. BTW, I wear both Wahmakers, Skullys and jeans. Depends on the mood I'm in. The only way to keep Tex from talking about this in every CC is to do a MASS protest! Who's on board??

I have one closet that is FULL of cowboy clothes. There is no room for anything else. I also have jeans and the dreaded work shirts plus a few Henleys. I have five, no make that six cowboy hats that I wear at matches as well as several big kerchiefs that I've been known to wear on my noggin when it's really hot.

I repeat, there are only cowboy clothes in that closet, but if I'm challenged, I'll wear the jeans, work shirt and a rag on my head and not open that closet at all!

As far as muzzling Tex, he's the EDITOR!! He can rant and rave all he wants. It's his paper, so to speak. I don't recieve it anymore 'cause I got tired of the direction the editorial and letters sections were taken. Used to be the letters section was many pages and the differences of opinion were accepted and welcomed. I even got a page myself when the '98 Marlin/'93 Winchester ban came to pass. (I'm still not happy about that one!) The technical articles and FJT's historical stuff and some of the match reports became all I was interested in, and some of that became less attractive as well.

Maybe if we flooded the Chronicle with letters of protest and showed up at big matches in jeans and work shirts with our hats and boots the editor would get the message!!

If you show up to shoot in a ball cap, BDUs and a tee shirt I'm gonna lodge a complaint. If you show up to shoot in what is acceptible, legal attire, I'm gonna grab your paw and shake it and get you to the line with the rest of us!!

A bunch of us did that at the SW Regional. Many that NEVER wear wranglers at a SASS match. Wore them because Tex was there.

I never wear them at SASS matches. But wore them all weekend that weekend.

Was talking with someone when Tex pulled in to unload. Was only about 20 feet away. I made sure I turned my back to him. Pulled up my

jacket so he could see them clear.

I know others that was doing the same thing.

I agree a protest is in order. Tex needs to be shown that his whiney attitude does not play well with the majority of shooters. Blue jeans will be the mainstay of my wardrobe and anything made by whamaker is gone.

Everyone needs to start wearing jeans and boycotting whamaker. If you hit them where the money is they will sit up and take notice. Then maybe Tex will get muzzled.

Ok...what did I miss? Where is it stated that it IS Whamaker that's pushing this topic?

Or is it just a bunch of grumpy old people that are looking for a conspiracy?

Phantom

Ok...what did I miss? Where is it stated that it IS Whamaker that's pushing this topic?

Phantom

+1 That's my theory! ^_^

Time for a nude match....that would be a good 'protest' :D

G ( who is having fun with this thread and aint taking it serious)G

Tex says what he says and honestly...just stay within the rules and all is good...well...it should be.

Phantom

Wahmaker specifically? It's not stated. Re-read paragraph 4 of Tex's September editorial. It's been my experience in life that if you follow the MONEY you'll find the motive.

Couple that with some high profile shooters that are minimalist albeit within the rules and you have the grounds for Tex's latest "cause".

Ultimately Tex is happy with the fuss on the wire and maybe a few minimalist will take it upon themselves to do a little more and maybe some folks will take it upon themselves to prod the minimalist to do a little more.

AND maybe the major sponsors that are clothing makers will hear that their customers want better quality for the dollars invested in "period" correct pants.

AND maybe Tex will move on to his next cause.

Stan

PS. I wear Wranglers an will continue to do so. I also have no problem with minimalist that are within the rules!!!!!!

PSS. Dave they are not going to outlaw Wranglers. In another 10 years you'll know how the Editor works and it won't cause you so much heartburn. Lol

Time for a nude match....that would be a good 'protest' :D

G ( who is having fun with this thread and aint taking it serious)G

Tex says what he says and honestly...just stay within the rules and all is good...well...it should be.

Even as a card carrying nudist it would be just a tad chilly here for that. Shrinkage would be a problem :)

Wahmaker specifically? It's not stated. Re-read paragraph 4 of Tex's September editorial. It's been my experience in life that if you follow the MONEY you'll find the motive.

Couple that with some high profile shooters that are minimalist albeit within the rules and you have the grounds for Tex's latest "cause".

Ultimately Tex is happy with the fuss on the wire and maybe a few minimalist will take it upon themselves to do a little more and maybe some folks will take it upon themselves to prod the minimalist to do a little more.

AND maybe the major sponsors that are clothing makers will hear that their customers want better quality for the dollars invested in "period" correct pants.

AND maybe Tex will move on to his next cause.

Stan

PS. I wear Wranglers an will continue to do so. I also have no problem with minimalist that are within the rules!!!!!!

PSS. Dave they are not going to outlaw Wranglers. In another 10 years you'll know how the Editor works and it won't cause you so much heartburn. Lol

I know Stan...and kinda agree.

But to say flat out that we should dump and not support a vendor because of a theory...naw...not me.

And yes, this whole thing about "Jeans" is pretty silly in my humble opinion.

Cheers!!

And stay warm!!!

Phantom

Guest Jess Money

Like many others, I started in Levi's, my everyday preferred pants of choice. I found, and still find, costuming a very interesting part of our sport. It's an opportunity to at least look like what I think I would have looked like if I had been a cowboy back in the day. I began scrounging Salvation Army clothes depot's along with other type goodwill outlets and have made myself a decent cowboy wardrobe from those used items of apparel. I, like many others, have benefitted from other pards selling used Wah Makers, Frontier Classics, etc. and I feel I'd be welcome at any SASS affiliated CAS club anywhere wearing what I have accumulated.

­­Perhaps it's because I'm fairly new to SASS and CAS is why I find it odd that there is such an uproar over costuming editorials from Tex. We know he has an agenda concerning costumes and what he would like costuming to be and he's going to continue to write his opinions, regardless. And we'll continue fume and fuss and raise a ruckus about his writings and then most of us will continue to wear our clothing that that falls within the guidelines stated in the rules currently printed...regardless. I see other shooters in various cowboy outfits that are much fancier than mine but my outfit fits in just fine with theirs at matches. Sometimes I dress like I've just come in from a cattle drive and other times I may look like a rainbow with stripes, checks and bright solids. Where is it written that we all must look alike? We're all individuals and I would imagine we'll remain as individual as we are now. Good for us!

I'll read the editorial Tex prints without malice in my heart for his viewpoint. And I'll not join a posse to hang him high or give up
my membership because of his opinions, which is all it amounts to anyhow. And too, I may live a bit longer if I don't allow myself to boil over because of someone else's typewritten words. No, what I'll do is continue enjoy this sport I've come to be part of and look forward to the next match. And if we ever get to meet and you're wearing blue jeans, you'll be welcome on my posse anyday.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - Crude inuendo
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - Crude inuendo

Even as a card carrying nudist it would be just a tad chilly here for that. Shrinkage would be a problem :)

:D I reckon I'd 'peter' out on a nude match this winter too....

GG

:D I reckon I'd 'peter' out on a nude match this winter too....

GG

Yup, heard that you could 'hang' with the rest........ :lol::lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will not do anything to 'harm' any SASS vender, EVER!

My wife and I have bought plenty from this vendor in question, their products are great along w/CS.

I will keep on wear'n my jeans :excl:

Tex just needs to stop think'n we are sheep!

LG

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - crude inuendo
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - crude inuendo

Yup, heard that you could 'hang' with the rest........ :lol::lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will not do anything to 'harm' any SASS vender, EVER!

My wife and I have bought plenty from this vendor in question, their products are great along w/CS.

I will keep on wear'n my jeans :excl:

Tex just needs to stop think'n we are sheep!

LG

If I hang at a match I'm not only hung...but will get hung :D

GG

I have no problem with people who follow our costuming rules, and since blue jeans are legal, that is just fine. I agree with the posts made by Grizzly Adams, Marshall Troop, Tex Jones and Phantom. I also think it is sad to have grown men come on and call someone else names because they don't like what he said, to say things that "Tex needs to go" because you don't like his opinion. It is odd that, with that whole editorial that covered MANY subjects, all you can do is complain on about one paragraph, instead of agree we need to work to make sure our rights are not stomped into the ground. Tex bashing seems to have become a sport for some of you instead of being appreciative of the fact he has put many many years into making this sport what it is, one we all enjoy and most of us love. And, if a person quits this wonderful sport because you don't like costuming rules, then you are just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

PS: For those of you who disagree with Tex's stand on blue jeans, but have replied in a reasonable and logical manner as to WHY you disagree, thank you for your civility.

I have no problem with people who follow our costuming rules, and since blue jeans are legal, that is just fine. I agree with the posts made by Grizzly Adams, Marshall Troop, Tex Jones and Phantom. I also think it is sad to have grown men come on and call someone else names because they don't like what he said, to say things that "Tex needs to go" because you don't like his opinion. It is odd that, with that whole editorial that covered MANY subjects, all you can do is complain on about one paragraph, instead of agree we need to work to make sure our rights are not stomped into the ground. Tex bashing seems to have become a sport for some of you instead of being appreciative of the fact he has put many many years into making this sport what it is, one we all enjoy and most of us love. And, if a person quits this wonderful sport because you don't like costuming rules, then you are just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

NS,

i gree in part to what you say expecially about Tex. I and I think most others truely appreciate what Tex does and has done. I have known him a very long time and we have shot together and had many laughs. Point of many of our posts is not meant to bash at all, just emphasizing that Wranglers are legal per rules so is they are not desired by Tex, WB, etc then a new rule should be passed to ban them or maybe add the addition of chinks/chaps, stovepipe boots, leggins, etc if wearing them.bb

N'Skye

Please review how many times in the last few months, Tex has flown the "ban jeans" flag.

It has gone well past an 'idea', to a 'goal' he has!

He has the platform(CC)to put the word out. We have this forum to respond/rebuttal .

I do feel that Tex is NO-LONGER impartial in any way, on this subject. Tex should not be allowed to use the CC to 'push' HIS agenda.

When an Editor in Chief of a publication starts 'push'n his own agenda-It's time to step down.

Respectfully,

LG

Yes, Billy Boots, I agree with you. and since you are not one of the ones personally bashing Tex, that comment was not aimed at you, or any others that respectfully disagree. (I edited my post to hopefully make that clear) I certainly personally do not think blue jeans should be banned, but I will follow the rules as set out as most will.

So, Lumpy, if you disagree with an Editor, you think he should "step down"? What happened to Freedom of Speech? I guess if someone doesn't agree with YOUR agenda here on the wire, you should step down too? Sure wouldn't be many left if that were the case. Tex has a right to his opinion, just as you do. But when that opinion becomes petty personal attacks, that person has crossed the line. And I find it odd, as I said before, that all some seem to have taken from that whole article is the clothing remark. Not a single positive remark for the rest of the story.

This is, of course, only MY personal opinion.

I think this thread is destined to be locked or outright pulled as soon as moderators get back online after being at the convention.

FWIW, I myself meant no personal attack on Tex, only disagreement with what he has said. And as I said a page or two back, as long as he feels the need to beat the 'ban jeans' drum, I will feel the need to respond with a voice of dissent. Further, I think that responses to editorials are appropriate here, even if the subject is one that has been hashed out many many times before, after all, if the editorials have an opportunity to keep bringing it up, shouldn't we as well?

What isn't appropriate, and is specifically against SASS wire rules is personal attacks.

N'Skye

I have no problem with FOS. Why would you even say that? :huh:

What "I" do take issue with, is when someone uses their 'position' of influence to push what is obviously a personal 'agenda' for whatever reason.

This IMHO, is just such a case, with the repeated comments/editorials against 'jeans' in CC by no-less than the Editor in Chief.

BTW, I have shot with Tex many times. Back when he still lived in PRK, and we shot at Cajon Cowboys. This is one of the things that surprises me about his current 'position' on jeans. That is 100% opposite of what I saw then.

Respectfully,

LG

Don't be so naive to believe that Tex is just doing this on his own...other posts around here have proven that. He is just the author in his position of EIC of the CC.

I, for one, have never had issue with Tex. what i have issue with is the position that Wranglers are bad, but if you put buttons on a pair of modern Levi's, then you are AOK. I don't care about the person saying it, the position is wrong.

I also take exception to the notion that folks dressing to the minimum standard are doing something wrong. Just as I also feel that people performing at the extreme limits of the rules on the other end of the spectrum are doing nothing wrong either.

A friend called from the Convention in cold Branson, Mo. He says the word on the "floor" is that after a lot of debate, the TGs seemed to support keeping the dress code just the way it is and to allow jeans as we do now. He said a straw pole was conducted and there was little support for any change. He said there was also a fear by the TGs even if a change on dress code was made in the rules, folks and clubs would just ignore it. Remember that this is second hand information but encouraging none the less.

A friend called from the Convention in cold Branson, Mo. He says the word on the "floor" is that after a lot of debate, the TGs seemed to support keeping the dress code just the way it is and to allow jeans as we do now. He said a straw pole was conducted and there was little support for any change. He said there was also a fear by the TGs even if a change on dress code was made in the rules, folks and clubs would just ignore it. Remember that this is second hand information but encouraging none the less.

Great news :excl:

THX for post'n.

LG

Archived