SASS Wire Forum

Really? Again? Maybe I should stop reading the CC.

Grizzly Dave

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh you wouldn't offend blue boy,,, great old soul, I think he's 94, maybe 95 by now....

I had a denim cowboy hat back then, along with and still have a shearling coat.

I just read the editorial in question. The title of the editorial is "My Wish List." The comment on costuming consists totally of one short paragraph! The editorial is NOT about blue jeans.......

For those that would like to read it.

I don't think it was offensive, just didn't want you to get your hopes up!

:). :)

Thanx pard,, ;) Just tryin to lighten this thread up!! :) This topic gets people snortin mad!!! :angry: Changed name to BLUE BERRY!!! :lol::lol:

Hope no one has that handle??? :unsure:

Spades H. :ph34r:

Thanx pard,, ;) Just tryin to lighten this thread up!! :) This topic gets people snortin mad!!! :angry: Changed name to BLUE BERRY!!! :lol::lol:

Hope no one has that handle??? :unsure:

Spades H. :ph34r:

Great. Now, all we'll think about is Willie Wonka!

youtu.be/uQkDOs-EtdU

Actually, I like it!

:);)

Don't know how many WB members are left, or in control of things. I do know they have sent membership money back to (former) members and asked them to never return to a SASS function. If you don't like the subject of an opinion piece quit reading it and read something else. I wear blue jeans on occasion, mostly in the winter. Annual shoots and above I wear other pants. Doesn't really matter what's discussed at the "Convention", the WB has the final say.

Assassin

Great. Now, all we'll think about is Willie Wonka!

youtu.be/uQkDOs-EtdU

Actually, I like it!

:);)

OK Branchwater,

I'll fess up, :blush: I have that outfit from when I played in my late 70s early 80s Southern Rock band!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (Diamondback)....

Spades H. Whammy Bar Gunfighter.... :ph34r:

Friend of mine, known him for oh, thirty year or so. Great pard, one of my closest friends though I don't get to see him near often enough. Had lunch with him the other day, nice visit. Of course, both of us being rabid, lifelong shooters the topic of SASS came up. He related a story, several in fact, of how he went to a local club this one time and got LOTS of grief on his JEANS and other not-quite-period-correct-but-western clothing and his Ruger Flattops which of course weren't very authentic at all. This 'harping' on clothing was enough to sour him on the sport but good.

I've been trying to convince him that SASS even five years ago is a bit (just a bit) different than it is now and the above certainly ain't the norm around these parts. He lives a couple hours away and maybe someday I can get him to try the sport again.

Tex, y'all ain't helping!!

Now, I do understand Tex's passion and love for the sport. Spoke to him and shot with him on a number of occasions. I say again, his love and passion for this sport are second to none.

From the amount of editorials, I'd say that Tex is right passionate about this subject and feels, perhaps rightly, that costuming may be slipping a bit. He's just trying to remind folks that costuming is a big part of SASS. It's what sets us apart. Take it as a hint.

I haven't read this new latest CC. I read the others. Yeah, after the last one my thoughts were 'give it a rest Tex, we get it'.

Those of y'all who wear minimum clothing because that's what you can afford or, because that's what's comfortable or because you ain't a-gonna wear no dress to shoot in or because...you like it well, y'all ain't gonna get no argument from me! (Fashion police I'm not)

I seen me some jeans that ain't 'zaxly...cowboy on cowboys and cowgirls. In one case, I was purty sure it was because they don't offer Wah or Levi etc in that size. In another them spangly jeans fit so well I didn't really notice them...spangles. In either case, I really didn't have a problem and I don't think Tex should either BUT, I understand its his job. I got a boss like that.

This here sport is a game. If you're gonna harp on how this pants or that shirt ain't...whatever, when are ya gonna start harping on Rugers or Big Boys or eye-talian clones because I'm here to tell ya, that'd be just as....unwise.

Since you probably have little or no experience in NCOWS, just leave them out of this discussion.

Really, why is that?

NCOWS is far more period correct that SASS.

BTW, I have shot with the local (Tehachapi, Ca.) NCOWS, and had a ball.

I don't need you to judge what may 'experience' is. <_<

LG

I just read the editorial in question. The title of the editorial is "My Wish List." The comment on costuming consists totally of one short paragraph! The editorial is NOT about blue jeans.......

For those that would like to read it.

It's is first 'gripe' and went into the greatest detail. Then sez, we all "should see the light".

Sure sounds more than just a "Wish List" to me. <_<

LG

It's is first 'gripe' and went into the greatest detail. Then sez, we all "should see the light".

Sure sounds more than just a "Wish List" to me. <_<

LG

So LB, concern over the attack on our 2nd amendment rights, and a national administration that seems to be bent on ignoring the constitution (to name a couple of things on the "wish list") are just "gripes." Well, ok...... :)

Really, why is that?

NCOWS is far more period correct that SASS.

BTW, I have shot with the local (Tehachapi, Ca.) NCOWS, and had a ball.

I don't need you to judge what may 'experience' is. <_<

LG

Really, the "Hat Creek Regulators" in Bakersfield is the only NCOWS club listed in CA.

Really, the "Hat Creek Regulators" in Bakersfield is the only NCOWS club listed in CA.

That's the one. They shoot from time to time at Tehachapi Sportsman's Club. That is when I will join in.

Good bunch of VERY dedicated, period correct folks.

LG

So LB, concern over the attack on our 2nd amendment rights, and a national administration that seems to be bent on ignoring the constitution (to name a couple of things on the "wish list") are just "gripes." Well, ok...... :)

You 'dance' well :rolleyes:

That is NOT what the OP posted about--But you seem to have skipped over that detail.

Carry on,

LG

You 'dance' well :rolleyes:

That is NOT what the OP posted about--But you seem to have skipped over that detail.

Carry on,

LG

Nope, just read the editorial in it's full context. :D That would seem to be important. I note a number of rants in this thread that really don't seem to be warranted given the subject of the editorial. :)

Letters From The Editor

In context without the previous months comments on jeans, I might not have given it much thought. However...in the context with the previous months comments, it comes off very much as harping to me.

GA posted....

Nope, just read the editorial in it's full context. :D That would seem to be important. I note a number of rants in this thread that really don't seem to be warranted given the subject of the editorial. :)

Letters From The Editor

The OP's post is spot on.

So, you really don't think it was just by 'accident' that Tex took another 'swipe' at wear'n blue jeans(AGAIN)do you?

BTW, why don't you ask Tex why he didn't put those 2nd Amendment issues before the jeans deal? ;)

LG

My wish list,,, people who would let things go.....

GA posted....

Letters From The Editor

The OP's post is spot on.

So, you really don't think it was just by 'accident' that Tex took another 'swipe' at wear'n blue jeans(AGAIN)do you?

BTW, why don't you ask Tex why he didn't put those 2nd Amendment issues before the jeans deal? ;)

LG

Actually, I don't think the order of his "wish list" matters in the overall, given the total piece. But, I will leave it at that, and wish you the best, LG. Always fun! :)

Actually, I don't think the order of his "wish list" matters in the overall, given the total piece. But, I will leave it at that, and wish you the best, LG. Always fun! :)

Remember this, YOU were the one that brought up the 'order'. No one else did.

Stay warm Griz,

LG

Boy stop and think about how silly this is! Grown men arguing about what kind of pants to wear. :wacko::blink: I thought the same thing as Grizz did when I read the editorial but didn't want to say anything. I agree 100% with Grizz. Outlaw blue jeans already and see what happens! They'll be plenty of cowpokes/cowgirls who stop going to state level and above matches. I assume local clubs won't go along with a stupid rule like that anyway. :excl:

Rye

I don't have a pair of jeans to wear to shoots. Hmmmmmmmmm............might have to just go out and buy a pair and wear 'me the next time I shoot Classic Cowboy.

I'll be sure to send Tex a autographed photo. Hehehehe! ;)

I was lucky enough to find some gently used clothing coming into the game, so I have never worn blue jeans. I do think they are correct enough and agree with those of you who mentioned the quickest way to make a point is to shoot at the local level where blue jeans are not a problem and skip the higher levels shoots where it will be an issue.

Seems every time the CC comes out, there's an outburst and burn em on the stake retaliation, when a number

disagree with an opinion or editorial, a mob suddenly starts up. Same goes for the wire. Instead of discussing the opinion or editorial, we slowly turn into a mob and attack the writer of the opinion, or editorial. Be it the wire or be it CC.

Tex's editorials, are what editorials are suppose to be, "an article expressing the opinion of the editor(s), or publication". The same thing we do on the wire 24/7.

What I disagree with is how fast we attack the writer(s), rather then discuss, or just state an opinion. Sometimes, I envision the western were a guy gets a rope off his horse and slowly makes a noose for all to see, soon a mob forms, and a lynching is the only outcome.

MT

Giddy-up, giddy-up, giddy-up let's go.

Get this dead horse out of the snow.

and beat him some mo'.

We can't !!! :( Boon Doggle.

Ole Tex has aready cut it up fer eatin!!!! :o:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Spades H. Still gonna wear the outfit on POST# 28 :P

Actually, I think Tex is the one who doesn't get it- that not everyone in this sport sees things like he does. We all know that Gene and Roy are his(and many others) idols. Well, they're not mine. And many others, I'm sure. MY western idols are Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, and ESPECIALLY Clint Eastwood. Serious cowboys, not silly fantasy-land clowns, which I consider Gene and Roy. I used to watch RR when I was a kid, but gave it up when I finally figured out that TV show of his was baloney. Now, I reckon his movies were OK, but not real serious stuff. I don't think I ever even SAW a Gene movie til Thanksgiving at my in-laws. God, it was awful. Obviously set in the 30s or 40s, since there were automobiles, telephones, and even a radio. Yet most everyone rode horses, and wore guns around. Right. And where was this fantasyland? Same place RR used to hang out on TV I guess. Anyway, my cowboy interests DON'T include Gene and Roy. The costuming isn't THAT important to me. It's fun to a point, but it's not why I'm in this. I'll bet there are more in this who share my view than Tex's.

Rural SE Oklahoma wouldn't be far off the mark for that era!

Why does Tex feel the need to run off the majority of shooters by outlawing blue jeans, stupidity, ignorance, or a total lack of respect for the shooters? Tex needs to go, just because he and his wife are into costuming in a BIG way is no reason to act like he is. It is time the Wild Bunch either reins him in or gets rid of him.

I agree that costuming is what sets SASS apart from other shooting sports. I like to play at dressing up and playing cowboy shoot-em-up, and agree that there are shooters who need to evaluate their dress. However continually beating them over the head will not motivate them to change, it will cause them to become even more resistant to that goal.

I don't think the TG's are foolish enough to go along with Tex and ban blue jeans. I find it hard to believe that the WB would do something so foolish as to unilaterally ban them by decree. I do know that if either does happen, the backlash will be enormous. SASS will experience a mass exiting of shooters and I predict a new association of CAS shooters will be formed. This new group will quickly come to dominate the world of CAS and SASS will find itself relegated to the backwaters.

Tex needs to take his "it's my way or the highway" attitude and leave SASS and join up with his like minded pals over in NCOWS.

You know... The arguments that Tex makes against blue jeans... The EXACT same logic could be applied to the Ruger.

And yet, nobody says the Ruger should be banned.

Nor should they.

Whatever happened to "The Duke can do no wrong?" Seems to me I recall him wearing "modern" blue jeans with a belt AND suspenders, on several occasion.

This is just plain silly. Let it go.

And personally, if there ever is a ban on blue jeans, there would be a wide spread ignoring of the rule. I'd even go so far as to say that everyone should show up at EOT in them as a protest.

That would be interesting...

It's gotten a little bizzar. How can you keep complaining, when no rules are broken??

It's also seems a little shamefull that all this time and energy is wasted on such a silly topic?

How about editorials on:

Attracting new shooters

Long gun muzzle control

Improving your ranges

Etc

Etc

I shoot a lot and all over the country. I just don't see a problem???

Ringer

Levi Strauss Cinch Pants

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=215535&p=2771900

Wahmaker Cinch Pants

http://www.scullyleather.com/catalog/items.asp?BRN=WAH&DIV=MEN&CAT=PA

What's the difference because they are both clinch pants - period correct, 1873. The only difference is Wahmaker doesn't make their cinch pants using indigo blue dye. And Mr Wah is in the Cowboy Hall of Fame!

So, I feel that Tex has some aversion against indigo blue dye and has a hidden agenda to have folks buy clinch pants from his friend and owner of Wahmaker. Plus, regardless of the color, Tex doesn't have a clue that cinch pants are 100% period correct! And we should be reminding him of this instead of beating him over the head with a board!

And personally, this whole brew ha ha is silly and there are better issues to be addressed - such as what we should eat for breakfast before a match! :D

PS: I have been wearing the same pair of Wahmaker cinch pants for over 10 years now - but they ain't faded blue. So What? <_<

When Was Denim First Used to Make Levi’s Jeans ?

Originally San Francisco tailor Levi Strauss made jeans from canvas.

But in the early 1860s, he started using a softer fabric imported from Nimes, France.

Known in French as serge de Nimes, the material was called denim in the United States.

Riveted pockets were added in 1873.

Archived