SASS Wire Forum

Really? Again? Maybe I should stop reading the CC.

Grizzly Dave

For the 5th or 6th month in a row, the editor is proclaiming that we 'all should see the light, that work boots, blue jeans, denim work shirts, and makeshift hats (if they are worn at all) are inappropriate for our fantasy game'

My paraphrase but accurate to the original editorial.

I feel like I am the proverbial dead horse and that I have been kicked yet once again from the editorial column. If the owners of SASS wish to outlaw blue jeans and in the process piss off and further alienate I would estimate more than half their paying customers, so be it, just man up and do it and suffer the consequences. I am insulted and disturbed by your constant and continual attack on those dressing well within the published rules and historical facts.

I have worked hard to promote this game. My youtube channel has over 102 thousand views, and my Intro and Getting Started in CAS videos combined have over 28 thousand views alone. I have been working to encourage folks to try what I used to think was the best shooting game in existence, not try to lure them in to be constantly harranged for following the rules.

Tex, I do 'get it.' I get that you want everyone to play by your standards. What you don't seem to get is that as an esteemed, or once esteemed member of the wild bunch, you on some levels speak for the game. And as such you are being very rude to rules following dues paying members who just happen not to agree with you, but that are playing within the rules.

Give it a rest already.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wranglers were good enough for Tex at the Southwest Regional ...........

he wore them to the banquet.

What I don't understand is; you don't even need to wear a hat cept for BW and CC, you don't have to wear boots, cept for CC and BW.

seems to me that, unless I am wrong, things have disappeared from the handbook.

from what I've seen the top shooters, for the most part have upped their game when it comes to dress....

I thinks the jeans issue is as bad as the "cone of safety"!! Had it been passed a lot of TOs would never timed again, throw out jeans, I would hate to think of the repercussions

tha's my view from my saddle!

PLUS 1, to Grizzly Daves Statement TEX is quickly earning the disrespect of possibly half or more of the members of SASS. Keep it up and watch the fastest growing shooting sport in America, become the fastest folding.

RBK

Tex is entitled to his opinion, I'll give him that, but he ain't making many friends by bringing this up on a monthly or bimonthly basis. I've talked to more than a few shooters that have been doing this a long time and they don't appreciate it. I cringe anymore when I read the CC editorial because I know what's coming on the wire.

You pards ever consider the fact that Ole Tex may like dead horse!!! :blink:

Sure looks like it from my saddle!! :unsure: NO you can't eat my horse Tex!! <_<:lol::lol::lol:

Ya gotta give him credit, he's like a freakin HONEY BADGER..... :wacko:

Spades H.

PS: Maybe Ole Tex just needs a Doctor, :huh: he may have the MAD-NCOWS virus..... :unsure:

At the convention I expect the TGs will resist changing the dress code even with a lot of pot stirring in the room. If that happens, the dress code rules will likely get changed unilaterally, there has been just too much of a push in the CC to not do so. I do not understand the thought process that with declining membership we would do something to upset a large number of members and make it harder for new shooters to get started. Last time we had an issue this hot (power factor and knock down targets) it blew up just before an EOT and attendance at that EOT dropped significantly due to last minute cancellations.

If some folks believe that shooters wearing jeans take away from their enjoyment/ambiance of the sport somehow, then any new dress code rule darn well better eliminate jeans from the B Western category also. Be consistent for gosh sakes, either jeans are OK across the board or they are not. If jeans take away the ambiance of someone's enjoyment of the sport how can it matter if it is an age based cat shooter wearing them or a BW shooter? If that should happen I expect the B Western category will die a slow death even faster than the overall membership.

I think there is a serious split in the sport. There are clearly folks that like the costuming part of the sport first and shooting is an interesting side activity. The majority of the members love shooting old guns as their top fun and do so in costume to only add to their enjoyment. The latter is likely true of many of the sports top shooters. The real question is how many lean in each direction. I can tell you at the local monthly match level it is the later. The majority of the members that shoot monthly matches do not attend WR, do not attend EOT, the Convention or even a Regional. They may make it to a state championship occasionally. This group that do not make the big matches are also the majority of the overall paid membership. As a result they think of the sport a lot differently than the sports leaders and owners. Up until the last couple of years these two groups of folks tolerated each other pretty well. With the camp fire flames being whipped up by the CC almost every single month on dress code, I am not sure how long this tolerance will continue.

As long as blue jeans, lace boots, etc aren't banned I dont care what someone's else thinks. I will dress within the guidelines that have been put out and if someone else has a problem with that then don't look at what I'm wearing. I am not trying to cause problems but you just cant make some people happy no matter what you do. Grizzly dress like you have and enjoy, tex has beat this to death and maybe the monitor ( sass chronical monitor) needs to step in and lock his editorial out. as you stated its been covered more that needed!

I don't see what the brew ha ha is all about wearing jeans shooting CAS...

Levi Strauss invented jeans and the 'official birthday of blue jeans was 1873." ... http://inventors.about.com/od/sstartinventors/a/Levi_Strauss.htm

To be absolutely period correct wearing jeans, buy the cinch jeans for suspenders .... http://www.rawrdenim.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/1922lvc501.jpg

Actually, I think Tex is the one who doesn't get it- that not everyone in this sport sees things like he does. We all know that Gene and Roy are his(and many others) idols. Well, they're not mine. And many others, I'm sure. MY western idols are Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, and ESPECIALLY Clint Eastwood. Serious cowboys, not silly fantasy-land clowns, which I consider Gene and Roy. I used to watch RR when I was a kid, but gave it up when I finally figured out that TV show of his was baloney. Now, I reckon his movies were OK, but not real serious stuff. I don't think I ever even SAW a Gene movie til Thanksgiving at my in-laws. God, it was awful. Obviously set in the 30s or 40s, since there were automobiles, telephones, and even a radio. Yet most everyone rode horses, and wore guns around. Right. And where was this fantasyland? Same place RR used to hang out on TV I guess. Anyway, my cowboy interests DON'T include Gene and Roy. The costuming isn't THAT important to me. It's fun to a point, but it's not why I'm in this. I'll bet there are more in this who share my view than Tex's.

Tex, needs to move over to NCOWS, and stop his cry'n. <_<

All that Tex is doing at this point with all of his childish CRAP, is hurt'n SASS in a big way! :angry:

Tex-It's time for you to step down, before you do more damage to SASS :excl:

LG

I'll take a step back for a second. one of the things that I think is hurting CAs the most is some of the guys on here that do nothing but whine, and are forever nasty fussbudgits!

now, back to the regularly scheduled programing.

I'll take a step back for a second. one of the things that I think is hurting CAs the most is some of the guys on here that do nothing but whine, and are forever nasty fussbudgits!

now, back to the regularly scheduled programing.

:wacko::excl:

LG

Well, Grizz, I'm with you on this one. How much can a dead horse be beat? I really like Tex, but c'mon, enough is enough. Sometimes I feel like Tex is just being the mouthpiece for someone near and dear to him through his editorials.

Admittedly, I'm not one of the women of SASS that's all about the costuming, I'd much rather concentrate on hitting the targets and being comfortable but I do dress within the guidelines, I've even been known to wear "underwear" quite a bit, albeit, Victorian style underwear. I'm more about comfort than looks and style, and I understand about following rules and this being a fantasy game, but let's be real -- if you're wanting to outlaw wrangler type jeans, then face the reality of losing a lot of participation from otherwise loyal and fully engaged members.

Let's move on and get to shooting.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - rude personal attack
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - rude personal attack

OK. I'll second Cheyenne Culpepper. It's fairly obvious Tex is senile and can't remember what he wrote month to month. Then, rather than just ignore it, the whining, nasty fussbudgets worry it to death for two weeks (at least).

You don't have to stop reading the CC. Just ignore Tex.

Besides, it's obvious, ending the year with an Ed that is a total downer is just plain Senile.

Coffinmaker

Let us not face the fact that real working cowboys back in the 1870's and forward actually wore jeans to work in. Let us ignore the photographs of working cowboys that document the wear of the times. Ignore the tales that those of us who were raised around working cowboys who were from the 1870's and so on told of what they did and wore, no it is important to ignore reality. I am going to wear jeans and union suits, from now on to matches. Or, nothing at all (now thats an image I KNOW you dont want!)

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - Response quoting hidden post
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 8, 2013 - Response quoting hidden post

OK. I'll second Cheyenne Culpepper. It's fairly obvious Tex is senile and can't remember what he wrote month to month. Then, rather than just ignore it, the whining, nasty fussbudgets worry it to death for two weeks (at least).

You don't have to stop reading the CC. Just ignore Tex.

Besides, it's obvious, ending the year with an Ed that is a total downer is just plain Senile.

Coffinmaker

CC,

I still think it's the MAD-NCOWS virus TEX has.. :wacko: You know that stuff affects the brain! :huh:

Hey!!! :o Can you get MAD-NCOWS from eatin dead horse?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Spades H...! :unsure:

Don't borrow tomorrow's troubles for today. I can't see it passing, but I was wrong about the Big Boy too. If the WB mandates it, then we protest. for now just ignor Tex, we are what makes this game successful, Tex is Tex...

, tex has beat this to death and maybe the monitor ( sass chronical monitor) needs to step in and lock his editorial out. as you stated its been covered more that needed!

Hey Colt!

Who do you think that might be??

Seein' how TEX is the Editor-in-Chief of the CC?

;)

Tex puts out the CC every month.

Every month, the CC (Tex) ask for comments, stories, pictures, etc.....to make it an entertaining service to its members.

His editorials serve a purpose.......they entertain.

Those editorials are so entertaining that the entertainment aspect rolls over onto The Wire for even more entertainment.

There will probably be about 20-25 of us who make a direct comment to this thread. There will probably be a few hundred who read some or all of the posted comments. And nearly all the viewers will be entertained to some degree or another.

I say 'Keep it up Tex'. The world is going to pot in a handbasket and all you gotta worry about is 'bluejeans'. Sure wish I could be like that.

^_^

..........Widder

hear hear Widder!!!!

Changin my name to..... Blue Berry ..... Blue Jeans, Blue Jean Jacket, Denim Shirt, 70s Denim Cowboy boots, Denim Cowboy Hat, Blue Paisley Scarf, Turquois Studded Gun Belt, AND my BIG BLUE EYES.... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hows that fer entertaining Widder???? :blink:

Spades H. :ph34r:

Tex, needs to move over to NCOWS, and stop his cry'n. <_<

All that Tex is doing at this point with all of his childish CRAP, is hurt'n SASS in a big way! :angry:

Tex-It's time for you to step down, before you do more damage to SASS :excl:

LG

Since you probably have little or no experience in NCOWS, just leave them out of this discussion.

I shoot B Western. I'm OK with wranglers right?

yes, of course, and actually we all are,,,,

Spades,

May be entertaining, but Blue Boy is already taken by a good cowboy in Tennessee.

:)

Dissclaimer....

No insult intended to the real Blue Boy .... ;) I will edit... :)

Spades H. :ph34r:

Archived