SASS Wire Forum

Recommendations for front sight

Sandhills Slim, SASS #22998

I have a Marlin model 336 rifle in .38-.55 caliber. I have installed a Lyman tang sight on this rifle and now wish to install a Lyman globe front sight. My problem is that I have found that this sight comes in several heights. They are .404, .465 and .494. I am unsure about which sight to order for my use. I expect to shoot this rifle in SASS side matches at distances between 100 and 200 yards. Does anyone have any experience with this front sight who can provide me with information regarding which sight height will be most appropriate?

I think Brownells catalog has charts concerning these type topics.

Ya might want to check it out. If no one can help you on this WIre, call Brownells and ask to speak to one of their tech on this matter.

Best regards

..........Widder

Slick McClade has these brass front sights that are outstanding, they let you pick up the target really fast

Buffalo Arms has the information. I would give them a call, ask your question and then order the sight.

.............. I have installed a Lyman tang sight on this rifle and now wish to install a Lyman globe front sight. My problem is that I have found that this sight comes in several heights. They are .404, .465 and .494. I am unsure about which sight to order for my use. I expect to shoot this rifle in SASS side matches at distances between 100 and 200 yards. Does anyone have any experience with this front sight who can provide me with information regarding which sight height will be most appropriate?

You can get a fair idea what height to get by measuring your present one. Also, if your new tang sight isn't adjusting where you want it in it's adjustment range, you can consider that in your choice of front heights.

I have done a couple up for guys who want to shoot long range side matches and I would have to recommend the .465 or .494 if you are using a Marbles tang sight.

For finer wired sight inserts go with a sight card from Lee Shaver. They are were made with intention of being used out to 1000 yards. A Lyman 17A and a set of Shaver sight inserts would go a long way for SASS long range side matches.

KQ

I contacted Buffalo Arms today. I have ordered the sight that they recommended. Thanks for everyone's input.

So, how about sharing what height they suggested? I'm assuming you have the octagon barreled cowboy version?

Archived