SASS Wire Forum

Experience with Chiappa Spencers in 45Colt?

Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474

I'm considering a Spencer to shoot 100 yard, pistol calibre side matches as well as the occasional main match where the smaller magazine is not an issue.

What is the experience out there with the Chiappa Spencer?

Got one, love it to death. Accuracy is excellent, even used it for some longrange competition with good results. Trigger is quite heavy out of the box but easily fixed by lightening the spring. Now if you really want some serious bang and clang get one in 56-50 and load triple seven or the holy black!!! :lol::lol:

Thanks Tarheel, but I want it for pistol calibre, 100 yd. matches.

I have three .45-70's I use for big bore long range, mainly because I can get .45-70 brass etc up here in Canada.

You just can't seem to find anything other than that around here.

I've got one, and you can't beat it for cool. I've even got a levering/cocking sequence down that's not too bad for speed. The last 3 rounds on the clock does slow you down. When I shoot it I usually go from top 10 to dead last. But man am I cool doing it. Goes really nice with my open tops or original S&W new model #3's. However... it is fussy. Extraction can be dodgy. I have found that Starline brass has a rim that's just a couple of thou wider than most other brands and it's the only type that will function semi-reliably. I still have extraction issues. But I"m still figuring it out too. I've only had it since the spring and probably have only put about 300-400 rounds through it. You need to work the lever vigourously since the extractor isn't spring loaded and only a quick, deliberate snap forward of the lever will pop out the shell. And sometimes even that itsn't enough. It's also VERY case length sensitive. Your shells must be 1.6". No more, no less. With the bullets I use, that puts the cannelure just out of the case. Not a big problem. It is very accurate. Absolutely the coolest rifle you can shoot in a SASS match. I'm not that far away, (Burlington, Ontario) and if you want to come and try mine before you commit your welcome. Then good luck finding one. I was looking for 2 years before I got this one (Ellwood Epps). It wasn't on their website Friday morning, it showed up Friday night, and I was there first thing Saturday morning. If you see one for sale, jump on it.

Archived