SASS Wire Forum

Do You Sleep With A Gun Under Your Pillow?

Subdeacon Joe

No.

I can occasionally be a heavy sleeper - and slow to wake. The duty pistol is deliberately kept a couple of paces away from the bed. If SHTF, I will kick the bedroom door closed, lock it, and grab the pistol (Condition 0, light and laser.) Hopefully, by then the synapses will have realigned.

Late one night our Sheps threw a fit worthy of a Charlie Manson zombie apocalypse. I was out of bed, locking the door, and reaching for the gat when my wife spied the cause of the commotion: the neighbor's terrifyingly cute 1/2 pound kitten.

Dumb dogs. But a good (un)dressed rehearsal.

No. I used to. Then one day I turned the pillow over and there was a beautiful outline of the gun, in orange, on the pillowcase.

Too Damn Humid in Florida to keep a gun under the pillow.

It's on the headboard, next to the Streamlight . :)

Not under my pillow .

But in just about every room in the house :huh:

In a pancake/kydex leather backed with industrial velcro holster between the mattress and box springs w/ separarte taclight.

If I'm awakened- 1st move to cover. That way even if it's a motel room (lotta work travel) I have a chance to get a light; a gun; be in a defendable position & have a chance to assess.

Not since Vietnam. But it's less than an arm's length away, and I can put my hand on it in the dark every time.

I'm fortunate that I awaken fully alert, with no grogginess. Don't know why. Mayber old habits die hard.

I have always been one to toss and turn all night.

Has to do with breathing.

Bad sinus flow.

And like Uno Mas, I need to wake up a little to be thinking clearly.

So I have to make at least three steps to get to it and the flash light with it's strobe light.

The light cycles...strobe, low light, bright light, off. Repeat.

So the first light will be a shock to whom ever gets it in the face.

The door is arms length from the bed so it can be locked while making the three steps.

At 4 steps, I have a shotgun with rounds sitting on the small table behind a small wooden box out of view.

Yes, it's a double and there are 4 rounds there to grab.

The revolver is to backup the shotgun when empty.

Because of where I live and my little ammunition business, I keep my revolver holstered on my hip.

Not at my back because, I can't see behind me when working.

I don't want anyone being able to reaching without having to reach all the way around me.

I also do not oil gate hinges or out side doors.

I want them to squeak when opened.

I probably should have a noise maker dog (ankle bitter) but I don't.

I do have motion detectors here and there.

They turn on a radio in the house and in the shop.

This wakes me right up. Also why I don't have a dog.

They move around at night and this wakes me.

I happen to live in a part of the desert known for bad guys. I was here first.

The sheriff won't come out after dark unless it's very serious situation.

They are 15 minutes away if they are sitting in the car with it running.

And they don't know the area all that well. They get lost.

No road signs. GPS is usually 1/4 mile off.

Sorry this turned in to a short story.

On the night stand, not under the pillow. If the security alarm goes off, it's in my hands before my feet hit the floor.

It's on the nightstand and I come out of bed wide awake.

Holster on a hard plastic panel. The panel in the shape of an L. Part of the panel goes between mattress and box spring. That puts the holster between the box spring and the side rail of the bed. Light is on the nightstand.

yes, basically, good reminder on the light though...

Not under the pillow but there's a Para Ordnance P.13 really close at hand when I lay down. I think 14 rounds of .45 will last long enough for me to make the 4 steps to get the Remington 1100 out but if it doesn't, there's a spare 13 rounder laying on the end of the bookcase style headboard.

Just enough to say that I am prepared. A gun under the pillow would be uncomfortable.

Move around to much at night to have one there. It would not make the first hour and it would

be off in the floor.

But do have one mounted on the head board about mid way. Below the mattress. so it can not be seen.

And you can not bump it accidently. Both wife and I can get to it very easily without moving around to much

to get to it.

Because if someone is already in the room with you. You may not be able to get to the night stand.

Also have one in the night stand on my side of the bed along with a good light.

Keep a loaded revolver in the night stand plus my new pup insists on sleeping in my bed.

Bucky is 22 pounds but takes up 85% of the bed :angry:

Does anyone keep a loaded shotgun under the bed?

Used to when i was single. Now with the wife and kids plans change. Shotguns on both sides of the bed in custom made end tables with hidden compartments.

.45 in a holster mounted to the box frame

I use a "Backup Bedside Gun Rack" to hold My Mossberg 500 Cruiser 18" barrel 12ga pump stoked with 5 3" mag 00 Buck. Shotgun has a folding stock & fore & aft pistol grip & a mini mag with pressure switch flashlight mounted under the magazine tube. The frame of the rack slides between the mattress & box springs. You can find them on Facebook. I also have a 357 in the night stand along with a SureFire flashlight.

I just found http://www.stickimupgunmagnets.com This looks pretty cool. I'm thinking about getting one & mounting it under the dining room table or to the back of the china cabinet.

You don't know. Do Ya'!! :o:ph34r:

A laser, whether attached or not is good too, someone in the house sees a laser looking for target, hmmm, if it's a friendly,,, It's ME, or not so friendly hopefully they'll get the idea and git out pronto....

On the night stand, not under the pillow. If the security alarm goes off, it's in my hands before my feet hit the floor.

+1! Heard a noise the other night even though it wasn't the alarm I grabbed the gun from the nightstand. All was well but I was glad to not have to hunt for my sidearm.

Archived