SASS Wire Forum

.38-40 to .44-40

Rye Miles #13621

I have a bunch of once fired .38-40 brass. I put 'em in my 550 and it magically converts them to .44-40! How awesome! I think I'm just going to use them in my revolvers to avoid any possible feeding problems in the rifle. Whady'all think??

:) Rye

Once sized and formed they should also work in your rifle. Same case, the .38-40 is just necked down a bit.

Thanks Larsen, Rye ;)

Rye:

I have a bunch of 38-40s that shoot fine in my 44-40 rifles.

The only question is will ya split 'em when they first go thru the 44-40 dies.

If they come out OK, yer good to go.

--Dawg

Yep, I get handed some .38-40s sometimes. Just expand the necks and load like usual. Someone out there probably does the same to the .44-40 that he gets in exchange. As Dawg says, if they don't split when you expand 'em, they are good for a long time.

Good luck, GJ

I shrink any .44-40 down to .38-40. Over the years, I've found, traded or been given .44-40 brass. I size it down and use them in my rifle. I don't get every piece of brass back when shooting my rifle, but the brass didn't cost me anything to begin with. My true .38-40 brass I use in my revolvers. I always get that back. .38-40 brass is expensive.

A few years ago, Sportsman's Warehouse closed out their WW .38-40 brass and I bought seventy five or so 50 count bags for something like $9.20 a bag. :)

What a shame!!!!! 38-40 is a great cartridge . You may be saving on brass, but if you make the 38-40 into 44-40 , you now have to spend more on lead , bigger bullet , more money.

Next to the 38-40 , the 44-40 is my favorite cartridge! Anyway I love the bottle necked cases for shooting.............

BLACK POWDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They work as intended !

Rye,

Those are "Gamer Bullet". They are illegal modification according to the "Dark Lord of Soot" rules manual. :P:lol:

:P

Archived