SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter eyes?

Warden Callaway

Our stages are not nearly as complicated. There is virtually no movement. Long guns are staged on a table in the doorway. 10, 10, 4 in some mix of order - all shot through the doorway. No lines, no props to climb on or move around or shoot from.

Howdy Warden, actually those are fairly common cookie cutter style stages, rifle and pistols have the same sweep so no memory contest. There is only about 10' to the next table so no foot race involved either. Might be a good idea to take the MD on a few road trips to some different clubs, expand yer horizion ;) . Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been to a state match with better facilities. We've been to another range that was about on par with ours and the stages were straight forward with not a lot of action. We hope to get to EOT next week. That should round up our experience some.

Got the gunfighter PDF from Buck, and I'm sort of excited to try it. I think I'm gonna spend a little time doin dual duelist though. Pretty sure my right hand will outrun the left at the moment.

Tom,

there is a high probability that your strong hand will always be able to out run the other hand.

My right hand, even after 10 years of shooting GF, is still faster than my left.

Try not to let speed (or any lack thereof) deter you from shooting GF.

Let your abilities in SAFE gun handling be your guide.....along with the way YOU want to have fun in Cowboy shooting.

Hope to see you someday at Wartrace.

..........Widder

I just have fun pullin the trigger Widder, don't matter how!

And I might drive out there one of these days too.

I just have fun pullin the trigger Widder, don't matter how!

And I might drive out there one of these days too.

I shot double duelist for a full year before I felt comfortable enough to start trying gunfighter, might not take you anywhere near as long; just get out there and give it a try on your farm. I shot my first match as gunfighter(Frontier Cartridge) this past weekend and it was a blast!

Give me a yell when you get ready to head out Widder's way and I'll try and meet you in Lebanon; thinking we can ride together from there and save a little gas ;)

I loaded up 30 rounds of C45S with Pyrodex and shot them through one Cattleman just to see how well or how bad it would work. All went well, gun didn't lock up even though I just used cast bullets lubed with Lee Alox. There was what I would call a minimal amount of fouling.

Maybe I'll give the guys at the local range something new and different next match.

I shot double duelist for a full year before I felt comfortable enough to start trying gunfighter, might not take you anywhere near as long; just get out there and give it a try on your farm. I shot my first match as gunfighter(Frontier Cartridge) this past weekend and it was a blast!

Give me a yell when you get ready to head out Widder's way and I'll try and meet you in Lebanon; thinking we can ride together from there and save a little gas ;)

Hey Tom and Tyrel,

our local club in Oak Ridge shoots the 2nd Saturday of each month.

BUT, I also travel to Cleveland TN and shoot with the Ocoee Rangers on the 4th Saturday of each month. That would be alittle closer to you.

Its a great range with anywhere from 60-80+ shooters on any given 4th Saturday...Depending on weather conditions, naturally.

There are a dozen or more GFer's at both ranges and it won't be hard to posse up with a few good GFer's ifn ya want.

Ya need to get on a posse with Pleasant, Clancy, Slater, Kid Ziggy, Last Kiss, Fast Harley, me.....and a few others that like to 'live on the edge'.... :)

Hope to posse up with you both someday.

..........Widder

I loaded up 30 rounds of C45S with Pyrodex and shot them through one Cattleman just to see how well or how bad it would work. All went well, gun didn't lock up even though I just used cast bullets lubed with Lee Alox. There was what I would call a minimal amount of fouling.

Maybe I'll give the guys at the local range something new and different next match.

I just shot 10 stages at The Breakout at Brock's Gap this past weekend Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter. I was using C45S with as much Grafs FFg as I could stuff in there under a 180gr Badman bullet. I did have one gun lock up on the 8th stage but otherwise no problems; it was a whole lot of FUN!

Where else can you go to get advice from Widder, Buck D. Law and Possum? That's like the Holy Trinity of Gunfighters.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yea.....and looks who's talkin... ;)

..........Widder

I can shoot a modern pistol single handed with either hand, but I'm quite sure I'm faster and better with my right. I'll need to get used to a revolver in my left hand before I get to wild I think. :lol: :lol:

And that works for me! Summer is here so, it's time to do some shooting!

Hey Tom and Tyrel,

our local club in Oak Ridge shoots the 2nd Saturday of each month.

BUT, I also travel to Cleveland TN and shoot with the Ocoee Rangers on the 4th Saturday of each month. That would be alittle closer to you.

Its a great range with anywhere from 60-80+ shooters on any given 4th Saturday...Depending on weather conditions, naturally.

There are a dozen or more GFer's at both ranges and it won't be hard to posse up with a few good GFer's ifn ya want.

Ya need to get on a posse with Pleasant, Clancy, Slater, Kid Ziggy, Last Kiss, Fast Harley, me.....and a few others that like to 'live on the edge'.... :)

Hope to posse up with you both someday.

..........Widder

Either direction, I'd like to head out toward the hills and see y'all!

I normally shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter and normally shoot with both eyes open.

Occasionally I will find myself closing the left eye, but make myself open it as the binocular vision of both eyes really helps seeing through the smoke.

Where else can you go to get advice from Widder, Buck D. Law and Possum? That's like the Holy Trinity of Gunfighters.

Sometimes I feel like Goofy trying to help Mickey. But when Mickey goes off and wins the National Championship, the only words that come to mind are, "Ha-ha-ha-he-ah. Garsh!" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAEthfslsE

I know how you feel Buck.

I've had Widdermatic's in the hands of Champions (State, Natl and World) but I ain't worth a hoot when it comes to shooting a rifle fast.

Go figure. (maybe its the shooter and not the rifle..... :lol::lol::lol: )

And I've shared some sound '97 shootin tips to some top shooters also.

Guess I'm more of the Goofy than you are! ;)

p.s. - how is the 'Hogamatic'?

..........Widder

which is just another reason why I love this sport.

Where else are all the great mentors just going to throw out all this great advice?

FOR FREE!

And then honestly feel a sense of joy and acomplishment when they see these other folks begin to find success.

I like to think maybe I've helped a few, but it's certainly no more than I've been helped myself. It's such a great feeling to be a part of this great sport.

If I give you advice and it doesn't work, you did something wrong...

Possum anything you say is the law.I try, just can't do it right most of the time.Go get them at EOT. Possum.

I like to think maybe I've helped a few, but it's certainly no more than I've been helped myself. It's such a great feeling to be a part of this great sport.

DITTO my good friend.

..........Widder

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd brag a little. I shot our local 6 stage match using only gunfighter style today. Not only gunfighter but clean doing it. My times were probably not impressive but it sure was fun. There was another shooter shooting double duelist that also shoots gunfighter.

One more match this year and I'm definitely going to shoot black powder. I'm considering using the 87 for the first time.

I'm stretching the boundaries at our club shooting gunfighter. We talked about outlaw yesterday. I don't know if they would give you the bum's rush to the parking lot if you tried it but the general option ran against it. They talked about a guy that was banned from other ranges for shooting outlaw.

I shot gunfighter at my last 2 matches. I've been shooting double duelist since my second match. I tried a couple different things at the first match, but DD felt right. Until recently, I didn't realize that shooting style qualified as gunfighter. I had wanted to try it with two guns out at the same time, but I always signed up as cowboy because I didn't wanna get locked in for the entire match if it didn't feel right. I can see now I shouldn't have worried about that, it felt right. Had 1 miss at the first match and shot clean but with a P at this last one. As a double duelist, I had about 5 clean matches in a row. So I figure it's only a matter of time before I get that clean match as an official gunfighter and get to join the ranks of the jedi.

Archived